U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-31-2012, 07:07 AM

4 posts, read 1,838 times
Default Vehicle Registration Question - Columbia

Hi, We just moved to Columbia during the holidays from Florida.

Currently driving my mothers vehicle which she is letting me use till my finances get under control and can purchase a vehicle for myself.

We are not military or Students.

We plan on Registering my husband's car right away.

Just don't know what to do with the car i am driving. Since she has no plans on ever moving out of Florida and wont be visiting here anytime soon.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 05:07 PM

4,729 posts, read 7,838,590 times
Is the title in your name or your mom's name?

Old 02-01-2012, 06:54 AM

563 posts, read 1,062,683 times
you can ship it to her. There are a lot of car transporters available. It is a hassle, but I have had good experiences with the times I have shipped vehicles.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:22 AM

The title is in my mothers name. I still need the car here to get around, so shipping it to florida is not an option.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:12 PM

6,911 posts, read 10,241,409 times
What is your question? I think you're asking if you need to register your mom's car but I want to make sure I understand what info you're asking for.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
What is your question? I think you're asking if you need to register your mom's car but I want to make sure I understand what info you're asking for.
moved to columbia, not sure how long we will be living here, a year maybe more maybe less. we are not military.

i am driving my mother's vehicle which is registered and titled in her name in florida, as i do not have good credit to get a car in my name right now.

since the vehicle is in my mom's name, do i need to re-register here in sc?

she has no plans on visiting sc, let alone moving here.

Last edited by northpalmbeach; 02-15-2012 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-16-2012, 07:53 AM

4 posts, read 2,529 times
Are you planning on giving it back to your mother at some point? If so then just keep it registered in FLA. imo

Old 02-16-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiblab View Post
Are you planning on giving it back to your mother at some point? If so then just keep it registered in FLA. imo
yes, prob in a year or two. waiting for credit to get better so i can purchase or lease one myself, or maybe in 2 years ill have saved enough to buy a car outright.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:07 AM

828 posts, read 918,333 times
I was told shortly after arriving in SC that if you get stopped by the police they get real curious if the address on your license, registration, and insurance information don't all match. I don't know if that is so since I have never been stopped for any reason but you might want to look into that.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:12 AM

6,306 posts, read 8,373,264 times
According to state law, if you're living in SC and own a vehicle and have been operating it for more than 45 days, you have to register it. The gray area you're in is because the vehicle doesn't belong to you. There may be insurance requirements for listing the vehicle's principal address of garaging, but nothing on the DMV's website is clear on whether you have any obligation, since you don't own the vehicle. SC Department of Motor Vehicles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area