U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 07:47 AM

1,086 posts, read 946,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I checked the airport station and the averages are a high of 91 and a low of 71 in August. ... the average afternoon August humidity is 58% in Greenville, 56% in Columbia and 63% at the Charleston Airport NWS stations. In Raleigh the average August afternoon humidity is 59%.
So it's pretty much the same as I experienced when I lived in Chapel Hill ... sounds like most areas in the Carolinas are pretty much the same climate-wise, then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 08:28 AM

7,332 posts, read 5,900,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
So it's pretty much the same as I experienced when I lived in Chapel Hill ... sounds like most areas in the Carolinas are pretty much the same climate-wise, then.
Yes. That's why I think it's so funny that Columbia's heat is the most usual thing critics latch onto when talking the city down. Nine out of ten evenings during the hottest days of summer, the weather report shows that with the heat index (how hot it feels) figured in, Charleston, the nation's number-one-rated tourist destination according to a survey in Conde Naste magazine, feels hotter than Columbia.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 AM

117 posts, read 62,152 times
Love Columbia. Our family has been very happy with our move to Columbia. There are many many outdoor activities from running, biking, camping in the national forest etc.....The rivers in Columbia are hidden gems. First, there are not too many cities in the country with a river this close to downtown, it is a great asset. The "Rivermist" on some mornings is an awesome site. Restaurants in the city are great. I agree that there is not a Cheesecake Factory or some of the large cookie cutter restaurants but, the local restaurant scene is terrific. I hope the group working to renovate a former hanger at Owens Field has success in making that a restaurant for food grown in Columbia. There are many other restaurants who use only local ingredients when available. Saw in the paper that Basil is coming, awesome Charleston restaurant.

It is great to see all of the recent interest in Columbia. Its not a surprise that the area is one of the fastest growing in SC.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:02 PM

856 posts, read 1,053,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
You can read and get quoted all the stats in the world but you just can't understand a Columbia summer until you experience one. The temperature and humidity may not seem too out of whack but keep in mind those numbers are averages and nightly lows help that number moderate.

One thing that still baffles me is the lack of any kind of breeze in the summer. The air is so still that you can hear bumblebees burp. The wind chime on our screen porch actually gets cobwebs during the summer.

But the heat we endure June - September is more than offset by the beautiful spring and fall weather and the more than tolerable winter. You can complain about a lot in South Carolina but the weather isn't one of them.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:01 PM

1,358 posts, read 1,257,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
You can read and get quoted all the stats in the world but you just can't understand a Columbia summer until you experience one. The temperature and humidity may not seem too out of whack but keep in mind those numbers are averages and nightly lows help that number moderate.

One thing that still baffles me is the lack of any kind of breeze in the summer. The air is so still that you can hear bumblebees burp. The wind chime on our screen porch actually gets cobwebs during the summer.

But the heat we endure June - September is more than offset by the beautiful spring and fall weather and the more than tolerable winter. You can complain about a lot in South Carolina but the weather isn't one of them.
Bumble bees burping? So, that is what that strange noise is that I hear during the summer time.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:03 PM

119 posts, read 122,225 times
It's hot here during the summer, but it's hot in most areas during the summer. I still manage to go out and run on most summer days during the afternoon. I've lived in Los Angeles, and even there, it's hot in the summer. Same as Indiana where humidity is just as nasty. Same as Texas, where it's hot there. I've visited Las Vegas over Labor Day weekend once and that was hot! Point is, people b*tch about how hot it is during summer in almost everywhere in the US. Good thing here is, fall, winter, and spring is awesome.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:07 AM

517 posts, read 1,130,020 times
Where exactly are you coming from? We relocated to Columbia from Seattle last summer and love it here. Be advised, though, groceries are ridiculously expensive here compared to the west coast.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:38 AM

7,332 posts, read 5,900,138 times
Here's an up-to-date report and video on the jobs situation in Columbia - nothing specific, but interesting and encouraging for a person thinking about coming here with nothing lined up.

Battling the Brain Drain: Keeping talent in the Midlands : News : MidlandsConnect.com

Old 02-13-2012, 03:12 PM

119 posts, read 122,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleite61 View Post
Where exactly are you coming from? We relocated to Columbia from Seattle last summer and love it here. Be advised, though, groceries are ridiculously expensive here compared to the west coast.
I disagree with groceries being expensive here compared to west coast at least compared to LA. It's cheaper here comparing apples to apples, or tuna to tuna, or beef to beef than suburb of LA. Maybe it's ridiculously cheap in Seattle.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:58 AM

731 posts, read 2,898,459 times
We moved to Lexington, sight unseen, from San Antonio, TX just this past September. (My husband's company made the decision to transfer him suddenly.) We really love it! We live near the dam and our daughter's go to the newest Lexington One school - Meadow Glen.

Life here seems to move at a slower pace and feels "easier" than it was in San Antonio. It was very hot when we arrived (Labor Day weekend) but honestly no more humid/hot than it was there.

In our experience, it has been a really great move for us. I hope you have as much success as we've had!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area