U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-11-2012, 11:01 AM

8 posts, read 12,549 times
Default Moving To Columbia, South Carolina. Good Idea?

My family and I are planning on moving to the Lexington/Columbia area in South Carolina. We currently live on the west coast, so we're going to have to move out there not being able to see the area first. We lived in North Carolina before and visited South Carolina and we do like it. I was just wondering how the Lexington/Columbia area is? How is the work out there? What kind of jobs are mostly in that area? I basically want to know EVERYTHING you guys can give me about this area in South Carolina. PLEASE?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 11:39 AM

984 posts, read 805,518 times
I've been looking at several places in NC and SC for a semi-retirement move a few years from now (I lived in Chapel Hill NC for five years before moving here to IL). Here are August average temperatures for a few cities in the Carolinas:

Raleigh NC 93.5F/89F
Greenville SC 86.8F/89F
Charleston SC 89F/86F
Columbia SC 97.5F/93F

First set of numbers is from Climates of the world - Climate Zone, second set from weather.com. Adding in humidity which is probably lowest in Greenville, the whole region is hot in the summer, but Columbia seems to be pretty much an oven. Its slogan is "Famously Hot" for a reason. Whether or not this is a consideration for you depends on your expectations and what sort of climate you're coming from ... LA and San Francisco are quite different for example.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:46 AM

Well my family and I lived in Las Vegas which was INCREDIBLY hot! I'm talking about 115 degrees, pure heat, in the summer. The weather isn't really an issue too much for us. We just want to know if Lexington/Columbia is a good area. Are there any bad parts of those places, like crime rates? And if work out there is good, and if it is, what fields are the majority of the jobs in? I guess just the basics of what someone needs to know before they make a huge move like this one.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:55 AM

10,412 posts, read 6,062,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bree_in_wonderland View Post
My family and I are planning on moving to the Lexington/Columbia area in South Carolina. We currently live on the west coast, so we're going to have to move out there not being able to see the area first. We lived in North Carolina before and visited South Carolina and we do like it. I was just wondering how the Lexington/Columbia area is? How is the work out there? What kind of jobs are mostly in that area? I basically want to know EVERYTHING you guys can give me about this area in South Carolina. PLEASE?
I'm curious: what exactly are your reasons for wanting to move somewhere you have never visited and where you don't have any jobs lined up?

Old 02-11-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm curious: what exactly are your reasons for wanting to move somewhere you have never visited and where you don't have any jobs lined up?
Because my family and I currently live on the west coast which is extremely expensive! We just can't afford to live here anymore and have to move. Rent in South Carolina and the South in general is a lot cheaper then the west coast.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:38 PM

6,981 posts, read 5,248,068 times
In general housing is affordable in the Columbia area. As long as you do the research you can find good schools in either Richland or Lexington County. The state's unemployment rate is 9.5% and the Columbia metro's was 8% as of December. Insurance, healthcare and education are a few of the main white collar industries here, and manufacturing is here and growing. You should definitely be able to find jobs in the area, but it might take a while, as it might most anywhere, even when the economy is better. What lines of work are y'all in?

Old 02-11-2012, 12:40 PM

984 posts, read 805,518 times
Whether you'll be able to find a job in Columbia (or Charleston, or Greenville, or ...) will depend in large part on what sort of job you're looking for, and the market for that sort of job in your target area. It will probably be easier for people to help you if you could clarify ... "what kind of jobs" covers a lot of territory.

Also, I assume you're also looking at the Greenville-Spartanburg and Charleston areas in SC, since those are the other metropolitan areas where most migrants seem to be landing...

Old 02-11-2012, 12:43 PM

6,981 posts, read 5,248,068 times
bree_in_wonderland, I assume that in this thread you wish to hear only about Lexington and Columbia.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
bree_in_wonderland, I assume that in this thread you wish to hear only about Lexington and Columbia.
Yes, those are the main two areas we are currently looking to move to.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Whether you'll be able to find a job in Columbia (or Charleston, or Greenville, or ...) will depend in large part on what sort of job you're looking for, and the market for that sort of job in your target area. It will probably be easier for people to help you if you could clarify ... "what kind of jobs" covers a lot of territory.

Also, I assume you're also looking at the Greenville-Spartanburg and Charleston areas in SC, since those are the other metropolitan areas where most migrants seem to be landing...
The job markets I'm interested in would be costumer service/call center jobs, as well as banking and warehouse jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area