Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 01:43 PM

176 posts, read 242,983 times

Advertisements

Closings Announced in February 2012

The Kmart on Fort Jackson Blvd will close in the next several months, since Sears announced it would close 15 more Kmart and Sears stores. The Ft. Jackson Blvd store is one of those 15 locations (at the top of the page). Should have closed years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 01:59 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroZetro View Post
Closings Announced in February 2012

The Kmart on Fort Jackson Blvd will close in the next several months, since Sears announced it would close 15 more Kmart and Sears stores. The Ft. Jackson Blvd store is one of those 15 locations (at the top of the page). Should have closed years ago.
Perfect time for some fresh retail right near Whole Foods. Could be a boon for the area.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:14 PM

12,915 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Rumor had it recently that Walmart wants it for one of its smaller stores.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:45 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
That's one shopping center that should have been razed years ago. It's a nice spot, actually, with proximity to Ft. Jackson, Forest Acres, Shandon, etc. Plus the lot, itself, it pretty nice. Some mature trees and the creek running through it. Someone will get good use out of the site.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:50 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Rumor had it recently that Walmart wants it for one of its smaller stores.

Yep... that sounds about right... They want to get in on the intown market especially if their Assembly Street site doesnt work out.. Would be nice to have it and a few other stores on that site......

Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 PM

3 posts, read 11,538 times
Please for the love of god not a Walmart. There is one about 2 miles down on Garners Ferry and another on Forest Drive.

I haven't stepped foot in a Wal-Mart in over 3 years and honestly feel better every day about it.

If you want to destroy an area just let a Wal-Mart open up and that area will instantly go down hill.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:25 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
I agree - no Wal-marts in town. The K-Mart on Jackson Blvd was the first one I ever visited (I won't say how many years ago), but the K-Mart model is tired. I hope a development locates on that plot that will complement the Whole Foods center across the street.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:28 AM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times
I am no fan of Wal Mart but unlike the Assembly Street site which has a number of issues.. this site has less and there is an existing building there. Wal Mart has deep pockets and will be prepared to fight for what they want. I have not seen an "urban" wal mart which I have heard are supposed to be more upscale. Then again whats upscale in Arkansas and the land of slick willies and billy clints...my be average in SE Columbia......so I guess the jury is still out on the "quality" of the development that it may bring

Old 02-27-2012, 05:24 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I am no fan of Wal Mart but unlike the Assembly Street site which has a number of issues.. this site has less and there is an existing building there. Wal Mart has deep pockets and will be prepared to fight for what they want. I have not seen an "urban" wal mart which I have heard are supposed to be more upscale. Then again whats upscale in Arkansas and the land of slick willies and billy clints...my be average in SE Columbia......so I guess the jury is still out on the "quality" of the development that it may bring
"Slick Willie" was a Rhodes Scholar so I don't think he was typically Arkansan. I've never seen an "upscale" Wal-Mart, but I'd keep an open mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area