Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:21 AM

11 posts, read 30,345 times

Advertisements

I'm a year out of undergrad. They are 2-4 miles away from campus, definitely biking distance. But I agree, I'd most likely be living on campus regardless of where I live so the closer the better.

I do like the all inclusive idea, especially being furnished. This way I don't have to trek everything down there or buy all new stuff. I would love it if I could find 2 or 3 grad students in the same boat because of the value for the money. I would NOT want to live with undergrads, as most of my time will be spent researching and studying.

Thanks for all the responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 AM

362 posts, read 992,136 times
My daughter is a senior at USC and she lives in the Aspyre apartment complex. She lives in a very nice two bedroom fully furnished apartment. Utilities are not included but is does have nice amenities, pools, fitness center etc. and close to campus. You might want to check it out. Good luck and enjoy the school and city.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:02 AM

I saw that but I didn't see much on pricing so I wrote them off. I'll make sure to call them! Thanks!

Old 02-29-2012, 01:46 PM

55 posts, read 129,376 times
You can sometimes rent entire houses for less than $1000 / month in the Rosewood or even Shandon area if you're not looking for anything fancy. With a roommate or two the cost can be almost silly. Check out the Off Campus Housing site if you haven't yet. They have listings as well as a message board if you did want to try to find roommates.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:30 PM

I recently got a username and password to log on and post there. I think that will be the hardest part, finding roommates from so far away.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:28 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,487,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraNJ View Post
My daughter is a senior at USC and she lives in the Aspyre apartment complex. She lives in a very nice two bedroom fully furnished apartment. Utilities are not included but is does have nice amenities, pools, fitness center etc. and close to campus. You might want to check it out. Good luck and enjoy the school and city.
This would be a much closer location to campus. If I'm not mistaken I think some of these complexes will help you find a roommate.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:11 AM

362 posts, read 992,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcipolli View Post
I saw that but I didn't see much on pricing so I wrote them off. I'll make sure to call them! Thanks!
Sorry I meant to post her rent which is $1100.00 a month for a two bedroom, so her share is $550.00. We thought it was reasonable since it is fully furnished and close to campus.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:49 PM

301 posts, read 801,272 times
I think Cornell Arms starts at $680 a month and is basically right on campus. I know it's $880 a month including utilities for a two bedroom, so if you could find a roommate, that'd only be $440 a month per person.

I've heard that Senate Plaza (I think that's what it's called) is really nice and is in similar price range. It's also basically right on campus.

Aspyre is walking distance and is a pretty good deal.

I do know of at least a couple of grad students who live in the Woodlands, but the closer you are to campus, the less of a party dorm you're going to find, which might be better for you being a grad student.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:13 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,487,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogax3Girl View Post
I think Cornell Arms starts at $680 a month and is basically right on campus. I know it's $880 a month including utilities for a two bedroom, so if you could find a roommate, that'd only be $440 a month per person.

I've heard that Senate Plaza (I think that's what it's called) is really nice and is in similar price range. It's also basically right on campus.

Aspyre is walking distance and is a pretty good deal.

I do know of at least a couple of grad students who live in the Woodlands, but the closer you are to campus, the less of a party dorm you're going to find, which might be better for you being a grad student.
Cornell Arms is cheap and the rent includes utilities and cable, but it's a bit of a dump. It is in a great location, though.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:41 AM

41 posts, read 124,271 times
I moved from Columbia to CT 4 years ago. The prices are profoundly lower in Cola.

Olympia is close but has some tough areas. I personally would not wander around at night in that area. You can find an apartment in a multi-family building around campus. Cornell Arms caters to college students so it is dumpy compared to other apartments but the location is PRIMO!

If you can pay up to 600 you likely can find a room in Shandon. This is an easy bike ride to campus and it is a beautiful neighborhood. The mayor and one of the guys from Hootie and the Blowfish live there. I just looked on Craigslist and saw one for 575.

Rosewood is just south of Shandon. It has smaller homes and is not as nice as Shandon but may have cheaper options. You can also look in West Columbia and Cayce. Rates will be cheaper there and they are just a ride over the bridge away.

Cornell Arms and Senate Plaza are the closest. Shandon will be the nicest.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area