Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:49 AM

11 posts, read 30,351 times

Advertisements

Hi,

It looks like I'll be coming down to SC from CT. I visited for a day but was restricted to on campus events, I didn't get to see as much of the city as I would have liked. I was wondering if anyone could help me in finding a good area of the city to live.

I'm looking for something on the cheap side. It would be excellent if it were furnished and included utilities for consistency's sake, but not absolutely necessary. I will be living on my stipend so obviously the cheaper the better.

Also anything else that isn't easily seen from the internet you think i should know would be very helpful! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 12:13 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,506,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcipolli View Post
Hi,

It looks like I'll be coming down to SC from CT. I visited for a day but was restricted to on campus events, I didn't get to see as much of the city as I would have liked. I was wondering if anyone could help me in finding a good area of the city to live.

I'm looking for something on the cheap side. It would be excellent if it were furnished and included utilities for consistency's sake, but not absolutely necessary. I will be living on my stipend so obviously the cheaper the better.

Also anything else that isn't easily seen from the internet you think i should know would be very helpful! Thanks!
Cheap and close to campus would be Olympia, which is an old mill village in the southwest part of the city. It is no more than 2 miles from the heart of campus and close to the football and baseball stadiums. You also may want to look at some of the duplexes and quadruplexes closer to campus. When you say "cheap", how cheap are you talking about? What is cheap in Connecticut might get you a nice place here.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:21 PM

I'm looking to find something within biking distance of campus. I'm living on less than 20k and have other monthly responsibilities such as insurance, mobile phone and gym as well as regular food and gas expenses. I'd like to stay in the $500-$700 range if possible, that's impossible up here haha.

I was looking for a 1BR or an efficiency but I did come across those complexes namely Stadium Suites, Woodlands Columbia, and University Oaks and they seem amazing.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I'm looking to find something within biking distance of campus. I'm living on less than 20k and have other monthly responsibilities such as insurance, mobile phone and gym as well as regular food and gas expenses. I'd like to stay in the $500-$700 range if possible, that's impossible up here haha.

I was looking for a 1BR or an efficiency but I did come across those complexes namely Stadium Suites, Woodlands Columbia, and University Oaks and they seem amazing.
$500-$700 will give you many options. I used to live in a quadruplex on Waccamaw Avenue, which would now be in that price range. It was walking distance to Five Points and campus. If you'd rather be in a complex, the ones you mentioned would work. Good luck and welcome to Columbia.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:29 PM

Thanks! PS: What's 5 points?

Old 02-28-2012, 12:33 PM

12,780 posts, read 18,602,451 times
Sometimes there are steals in the form of garage apartments around Shandon and other neighborhoods near the university.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:35 PM

Cool! Thank you! Has anyone tried or heard anything about something like this?

Columbia Apartments - Columbia, South Carolina Apartments - USC Student Housing
University Oaks - Mobile Version
Student Housing Columbia, SC - Features & Amenities | Stadium Suites

Old 02-28-2012, 01:20 PM

37,822 posts, read 41,625,932 times
Quote:
Thanks! PS: What's 5 points?
It's a nightlife/commercial district just east of USC that's popular with the college crowd.

Five Points :: Columbia, South Carolina

Old 02-28-2012, 02:20 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,339,418 times
How far out of undergrad are you? Are you looking for an undergrad-style experience?

Old 02-28-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
If I were in college now I don't think those complexes would appeal to me and since you're going to be in grad school they mostly cater to undergrads. Honestly, I think you would have more fun living closer to campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area