U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 PM

13 posts, read 12,223 times

Advertisements

Hello. I realize this question has been done to death, but I have some relocation questions. Ive looked through this forum and I see a lot of posts about the crime. I really do not care about the crime rate. Im from Pittsburgh PA originally and I can handle urban crime. I have been to Columbia a dozen or so times and have never ever felt unsafe. Even though I have visited the city many times it was only as a visitor so I have little to no knowlege of daily life there so that brings me to seeking your input and advice.
Are there any urban neighborhoods in the city? I like dense, alive, and walkable neighborhoods. A tolerable amount of crime I can easily overlook. I do not want to be in an urban warzone of course but some crime is ignorable. I am an artist that works from home so commuting to work is not an issue. My main concerns are that the area I live in needs to have everything I need on a regular basis within walking distance (convenience stores, some restaurants, a bar or two.. I dont care if I have to drive to wal-mart or the mall) and that the neighborhood does not completely close down at sunset. It would be a huge plus if the neighborhood has a bookstore, an art gallery, maybe a tattoo shop.
Whatever information you all can give me will be greatly appreciated. So Thank You all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 06:16 PM

7,356 posts, read 5,955,213 times
I would research the Vista, Five Points and Main Street. Other neighborhoods are pretty much car-dependent. The right spot in Rosewood might be close to what you need, but probably not urban enough for your taste.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:47 PM

5,023 posts, read 8,580,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhupp82 View Post
Hello. I realize this question has been done to death, but I have some relocation questions. Ive looked through this forum and I see a lot of posts about the crime. I really do not care about the crime rate. Im from Pittsburgh PA originally and I can handle urban crime. I have been to Columbia a dozen or so times and have never ever felt unsafe. Even though I have visited the city many times it was only as a visitor so I have little to no knowlege of daily life there so that brings me to seeking your input and advice.
Are there any urban neighborhoods in the city? I like dense, alive, and walkable neighborhoods. A tolerable amount of crime I can easily overlook. I do not want to be in an urban warzone of course but some crime is ignorable. I am an artist that works from home so commuting to work is not an issue. My main concerns are that the area I live in needs to have everything I need on a regular basis within walking distance (convenience stores, some restaurants, a bar or two.. I dont care if I have to drive to wal-mart or the mall) and that the neighborhood does not completely close down at sunset. It would be a huge plus if the neighborhood has a bookstore, an art gallery, maybe a tattoo shop.
Whatever information you all can give me will be greatly appreciated. So Thank You all in advance.
I would look at University Hill, Five Points, the Vista, Shandon, Wales Garden, Old Shandon, Main Street and Rosewood for starters. Do you want to live in a highrise? Garden apartments? A single family home? Rent or buy? These will help steer you in the right direction.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:44 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,082,402 times
Quote:
Based on all of your desires, I would say the Vista would suit you best if you want all of that (and even then, not sure it will live up to your expectations). There are some condos/apartments along Lady St. that would put you walking distance to Publix (grocery store/pharmacy), there are a variety of restaurants along Lady & moreso along Gervais (block over), bars, art galleries are close by; closest bookstore that I can think of would be on the university campus, which while walkable from the Vista, would be a decent hike - especially on our hot summer days! Not sure about tattoo shops, but know there has to be one close to campus. There are other places to live north of there towards Elmwood/I-126 between Huger & Assembly that you could look at as well, but you will be moving further away from a lot of the business area. If you are willing to compromise and bike, would make it a lot easier to extend out a bit from just right by the Vista.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:10 PM

There's a tattoo parlor upstairs over the Art Bar in the Vista on Park Street. I'm thinking the apartments along Main Street might suit your needs best. Just my take. At this point Columbia's in-town living districts are separate, and there isn't any one big area that has a big urban vibe, but Main Street or the Vista come the closest. Five Points gives you more of an urban village feel and at night is heavily patronized by USC students along with smatterings of other people of all ages.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:38 AM

Thank you for the info it definitely helps to be able research specific areas so I appreciate the info. As far as high rise, garden apt etc doesnt really matter. Im used to row housing in Pittsburgh but I wouldnt excatly shed a tear if Columbia is not big on row housing.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the info it definitely helps to be able research specific areas so I appreciate the info. As far as high rise, garden apt etc doesnt really matter. Im used to row housing in Pittsburgh but I wouldnt excatly shed a tear if Columbia is not big on row housing.
It's not big on them, but it does afford that opportunity. Columbia has a little of everything.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:41 AM

Based on the info from you all I did some googling and came across this website The Congaree Vista from what I can see and read on that site, I think that area is at the top of my list. Obviously only so much can be learned from the internet, some physical exploration will be the deciding factor but Im definitely grateful for the help so that Im not wandering around aimlessly hoping to stumble across something by luck.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 AM

318 posts, read 597,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
There's a tattoo parlor upstairs over the Art Bar in the Vista on Park Street. I'm thinking the apartments along Main Street might suit your needs best. Just my take. At this point Columbia's in-town living districts are separate, and there isn't any one big area that has a big urban vibe, but Main Street or the Vista come the closest. Five Points gives you more of an urban village feel and at night is heavily patronized by USC students along with smatterings of other people of all ages.
Yeah, it's called "animated canvas" and it's the best shop in town, bar none.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:22 PM

45 posts, read 43,890 times
I have lived in several major cities and three school systems. . . it is my opinion residents of Columbia have a sense that things are worse than they really are. Perhaps times have changed in the last decade or two. . . but they have everywhere. In fact if this is bad, many should never consider other cities. You sound like you will be fine in any of the areas recommended above! Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area