Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 05:20 AM

12,905 posts, read 18,756,320 times

Advertisements

Harbison Boulevard is getting a new 60,000-square-foot shopping center in a prominent spot. The development has stirred up curiosity as to what could be locating there. A commercial real estate person says in The State this morning that Whole Foods has been poking around Columbia for several years and that as the economy picks back up, interest that was there before the recession naturally comes back for companies scouting out spots for new locations. Costco and Trader Joe's also may have Columbia on their radar screen. The way the article reads, it seems possible they could all three end up with more than one location in the Columbia market. Harbison and the Forest Drive corridor seem likely areas to draw such companies. It's all speculation at this point, though.

Another Harbison retail center planned - Shop Around - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/01/07/1634780/another-harbison-retail-center.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 06:22 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
I could see Costco happening. Is Columbia ready for the big-time Whole Foods Market and Trader Joe's yet though? I mean can they handle it without fainting? Oh and i'd rather see TJ's in downtown Columbia over the suburbs.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:25 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Would certainly be great. It's definitely time Columbia get some of these stores that bookend the state in Columbia's peer cities.

Attached is the link to Whole Foods "stores in development" page, which is for planned stores up to two years out. I remember Greenville was posted on this page for about two years before the store actually opened.

While this pages shows a great number of stores in development, it doesn't show any additional stores planned for SC.

Stores in Development | About Whole Foods Market | WholeFoodsMarket.com

Trader Joes would be nice. They are definitely expanding. With the sucess of the first Greenville store, they are apparently looking for a location for a second Greenville store. They are also about to open in Charleston, so hopefully Columbia is somewhere on the list.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:18 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Harbison Boulevard is getting a new 60,000-square-foot shopping center in a prominent spot. The development has stirred up curiosity as to what could be locating there. A commercial real estate person says in The State this morning that Whole Foods has been poking around Columbia for several years and that as the economy picks back up, interest that was there before the recession naturally comes back for companies scouting out spots for new locations. Costco and Trader Joe's also may have Columbia on their radar screen. The way the article reads, it seems possible they could all three end up with more than one location in the Columbia market. Harbison and the Forest Drive corridor seem likely areas to draw such companies. It's all speculation at this point, though.

Another Harbison retail center planned - Shop Around - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2011/01/07/1634780/another-harbison-retail-center.html - broken link)

I would love to see Whole Foods or Trader Joes along the Forest Drive Corridor.. Richland Mall would be an excellent candidate. It within a short drive of the demographic that is likely to support such stores. Additionally... it would become a destination retailer with people coming in from other sections of town just to shop and gawk... I know this is a pipe dream but Richland Mall should start negotiating with IKEA and let them come in and take over about half of the building next to Forest Drive and let TJ and Whole Foods take over the other and cram the other stores into the space now occupied by Verizon and in between Belks and the TJ/ Whole Foods Anchors. Belks could remain in the middle. You can also leave the book store and TGI Fridays. Cola should give Verizon some incentives and have them relocate to the Palmetto Center on Main Street if their old space is needed by IKEA or some of the other displaced smaller stores. Its not be the ideal tenant for Main Street but hey a call center would get some bodies on the ground walking around....lol

Old 01-07-2011, 11:49 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,265,153 times
I think Verizon is already in the process of moving to the Northeast. They would have been a good fit for downtown though.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:43 PM

435 posts, read 1,530,253 times
Yes, Verizon is moving out the the far Northeast off Spears Creek Church Road next to the Woodcreek Farms neighborhood.

One thing I've noticed about Trader Joe's, is that they don't typically put locations in pure downtown locations. They tend to be in established, semi-close-in, high-dollar suburban areas that have a more bullet-proof chance of attracting those upper-middle-class demographics willing to spend money there. As such, Harbison or Richland Mall/Forest Drive corridor are indeed the most logical areas. I think that's why in Charlotte the first location was in the leafy suburban areas in its southeast, near the Ballentyne area.

Now that Alan Kahn has taken over ownership of Richland Mall, hopefully he can pull something off with his long and respected retail experience. From what I can read of nationwide retail trends, smaller-scale upscale neighborhood centers (like Trenholm Plaza) and old-school mid-size malls that still have higher-spending surrounding demographics (like Richland Mall) is where the action is at. Harbison happens to be just about all things to all people, including catering to upper-middle folks in Ballentine, Dutch Fork, Chapin, Lexington, etc., and is by far the most centrally-located. As much as we all may bemoan the traffic, the density there helps retail feed off of each other and probably is seen as a plus by new entrants.

Even Wal-Mart and Target have oversaturated the exurban fringes with supercenters during the housing bubble of the past decade, and are now focusing on smaller-footprint, neighborhood-oriented stores in more established areas.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:17 PM

843 posts, read 2,747,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430
Is Columbia ready for the big-time Whole Foods Market and Trader Joe's yet though?
I think the better question is: Can Harbison handle any more traffic? Ugh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupstate
With the sucess of the first Greenville store
I was actually disappointed in this store. It seems puny, and has no selection compared to Charlotte.

Woodlands, I like that idea for Richland Mall. Such a great location for it to sit and go to waste like that...

The last time I was driving through Pontiac, I saw a new building with a giant Verizon sign on it. Is this where they're relocating their operations (from the mall)?

*Edit - I got distracted and delayed in my response and now see that Chi2Midlands answered my question about the Verizon building.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:46 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
I was actually disappointed in this store. It seems puny, and has no selection compared to Charlotte.
Funny, as it is the standard new prototypical 13,000 sq ft plus size Trader Joes and ( GSA Business | Greenville, SC | Spartanburg, SC | Anderson, SC ) slightly larger than both the ones in Charlotte which are 12,500 sq ft and 13,000 sq ft.

You know Trader Joes rotates items by month / season? Maybe you are remembering items they had rotated out. They are markets and not large stores like Whole Foods (the GV Whole Foods is something like 50,000 sq ft).

If a Trader Joes opened in Columbia you could count on the size being between 12K and 15K.

Last edited by gsupstate; 01-07-2011 at 02:59 PM..

Old 01-07-2011, 04:08 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
Now are you saying that because you truly believe it or are you saying that because you're jealous Greenville has a TJ's and Columbia doesn't? Charlotte and Greenville stores both receive the same products from the TJ's distribution center in Atlanta. I've been to the stores in Charlotte and the one in Greenville many times. Store size (13,000 square feet) and product selection are pretty much exactly the same. I've been able to find everything that has been available at the Charlotte stores at the Greenville one. Oh and remember that TJ's switches out products on a regular basis.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:41 PM

12,905 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Funny how my OP clearly is devoid of any indication whatsoever that I give a hoot about anywhere but Columbia as it relates to the possibility that Columbia's chain shoppers might be encouraged that at least there are hints that some of their favorite chains may think about coming to Columbia, yet the thread has become all about what Greenville currently has that Columbia doesn't. Things aren't always as they seem, including chain stores that seem like a good thing. I'm just sayin'. I didn't start this thread for the usual 'my city has something your city hasn't even shown up yet on a list of the store my city has that your city doesn't.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area