Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 11:12 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
Costco is very selective about the locations it chooses. They want highly-visible parcels next to interstates in established retail areas. For Columbia, this means the I-26 corridor from approximately Bush River Road up to Lake Murray Boulevard.
Why not I-20 in Lexington? Or I-26 on the Lexington side? Lexington has established retail. Columbia is too big not to have one. Lexington County is a tad smaller than Spartanburg County that has one. Charlestons is on I-526, which handles more localized traffic than I-26 which handles regional traffic. Even Augusta and Myrtle Beach have one, both half the size of the Columbia area. Myrtle's is not on a highway, and its hard to justify it being there for tourists, becasue it'd be pretty hard for tourists to take a bunch of bulk items back home with them.

If Richland wont budge, I dont see the issue with putting it in Lexington County. Richland residents will still cross over to shop there. I mean Columbians want one bad, does it really matter where at this point, when every city around you has one?

Last edited by Jandrew5; 02-05-2015 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 11:24 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,031,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Why not I-20 in Lexington? Or I-26 on the Lexington side? Lexington has established retail. Columbia is too big not to have one. Lexington County is a tad smaller than Spartanburg County that has one. Charlestons is on I-526, which handles more localized traffic than I-26 which handles regional traffic. Even Augusta and Myrtle Beach have one, both half the size of the Columbia area. Myrtle's is not on a highway, and its hard to justify it being there for tourists, becasue it'd be pretty hard for tourists to take a bunch of bulk items back home with them.

If Richland wont budge, I dont see the issue with putting it in Lexington County. Richland residents will still cross over to shop there. I mean Columbians want one bad, does it teally matter where at this point, when every city around you has one?
I don't understand your argument. Columbians aren't demanding that Costco come to Richland County and Richland County alone. This is a decision that falls within Costco's real estate team. I don't care where they put it.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
I don't understand your argument. Columbians aren't demanding that Costco come to Richland County and Richland County alone. This is a decision that falls within Costco's real estate team. I don't care where they put it.
I was just saying because people seemed to say "Costco hasnt came to Columbia because Richland wouldnt give incentives, etc." So thats why I said "why not Lexington?"

Old 02-05-2015, 12:33 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times
Quote:

If Richland wont budge, I dont see the issue with putting it in Lexington County. Richland residents will still cross over to shop there. I mean Columbians want one bad, does it really matter where at this point, when every city around you has one?
The MSA of Columbia is only around 200,000 larger than Augusta.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:39 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
That's a good bit Norton.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:44 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
That's a good bit Norton.
Never denied it wasn't. The poster's original comment said that Augusta is half the size of the Columbia area which is clearly false.

Last edited by nortonguy; 02-05-2015 at 01:17 PM..

Old 02-05-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I was talking in terms of Columbia's CSA since Costco could draw people from a good distance. And I wasn't being completely literal, but whether its double or not, Columbia is still larger with a bigger market.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:49 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
Quote:
Why doesnt Costco just try Lexington County?
They want to be closer to the center of population.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:51 AM

377 posts, read 709,733 times
I don't know why anyone's bringing MSA population into this. Wilmington, NC has a Costco and sports a MSA population of a whopping 257K.

I'm beginning to think the CEO of Costco was pulled over in Columbia thirty years ago and still holds a grudge.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:46 AM

8,236 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Who are Costco's major competitor? Walmart/Sam's? Maybe they are concerned about the "Walmartization" of the Metro that may crowd out one of their stores. There is literally a Wal Mart in every quadrant of the Metro.. and they said, several years ago, the wanted to put seven of their smaller urban ones across the Metro..The first was to be in Rosewood.. but was scuttled as part of the batched sale of the old Capital City Park. ...Nothing has happened since.. but I cant imagine that Walmart abandon their expansion plans in the City because of that one store....I am surprised though that one hasnt been announced in Columbia Commons yet.. I am certain one is in North Columbia/North Main's future..... maybe near Cottontown or Earlewood Park on the site of the old Coca Cola or the former Jim Moore Cadillac site

Looks like Cayce will be first. Thanks CD for the lead....

Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market store coming to Cayce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area