U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-22-2012, 02:53 PM

8 posts, read 5,809 times

Advertisements

my husband and i are moving to the columbia area. We (and our 2 kids) currently live in ohio, and my husband is moving in a few days, me and the kids are staying behind until we sell our house and find a new one. As the day gets closer and now the for sale sign is in our front yard, i am starting to have 2nd thoughts. My main reason is my parents, who live next door to us right now. They have been talking about moving south for years but never have. The idea of moving away from them and taking my kids away from them is really bothering me. Other than my parents, I don't think moving would bother me at all. I am a little worried about my oldest (7 years old) switching schools, but i think he will be okay since he is still young. Are having second thoughts normal? We really want to move and i know this will be the best decision for my husband regarding his job and the weather is so much better, but i'm wondering if 2nd thoughts about such a big decision are normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 03:02 PM

7,225 posts, read 5,694,281 times
It sounds completely normal to me. I'm not a counselor, though.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:19 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,111,268 times
when my wife and i moved here in 09, it was a relocate by choice, for the weather (among other things). Now both our parents and any grandparents unfortunately were already gone when we made the decision or it may have been tougher, but we did leave our adult daughter back home (her choice to stay). We never had real regrets or 2nd thoughts about the move, but we of course miss our daughter and my wife's family back home. So we travel up when we can, and at least with our daughter skype as well (that could be something for your 7 yr old and your parents to try).
I think it is normal to have different thoughts anytime a major change in one's life is about to take place. Guess one bright spot--you would have the "southern bed and breakfast" for your family to come down and visit you as well (has worked for us lol).

We have loved it down here, and i think as you'd get down and settled you will find that it has plenty for the family to do. A great zoo and kids museum right in town, nice parks including one on the lake here, and a couple hour drive to Charleston and the ocean.
For what it's worth, and this is an opinion only, i'd suggest perhaps renting the first year here (which you may be anyway with your hubby coming down first). That allows you to make sure you are comfortable in the town or neighborhood you choose before buying and then wishing you were in another section of the area.

best of luck to you!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:09 PM

4,946 posts, read 8,407,650 times
Think about it this way - your parents have somewhere to visit during the winter.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:41 PM

18 posts, read 32,611 times
I think what you are feeling is quite normal but you should not let such fears dictate your actions. Moving to SC may very well be the life step you need right now. Perhaps if you need to spend some time in Columbia before actually moving to establish a level of comfort with living in a new location. For you I don't think this is really Columbia SC specific but simply the fear of moving and of change. Really the world is not that big and if you are taking a career step forward by moving to Columbia than perhaps that will make your visits back home all that much better.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:42 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,077,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockpoet View Post
I think what you are feeling is quite normal but you should not let such fears dictate your actions. Moving to SC may very well be the life step you need right now. Perhaps if you need to spend some time in Columbia before actually moving to establish a level of comfort with living in a new location. For you I don't think this is really Columbia SC specific but simply the fear of moving and of change. Really the world is not that big and if you are taking a career step forward by moving to Columbia than perhaps that will make your visits back home all that much better.

Well said.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:01 PM

233 posts, read 207,852 times
Indeed, it's not only normal to have second thoughts about making such a drastic life change, it's healthy.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:44 PM

478 posts, read 604,861 times
I'm in the military and move quite a bit. I would say it is completely normal. You have two of the most stressful things going on--- your husband's new job and moving. I can also tell you that your 7 year old is going to be just fine changing schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area