U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-22-2007, 09:34 AM

6 posts, read 40,456 times
Default Alligators??

Are there alligators in this area?? I just read another thread talking about a 15 foot alligator in Goodale State park, which is near my home in Camden.
Maybe that's why no one swims around here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 12:10 AM

6,900 posts, read 10,197,554 times
There really aren't any alligators in the greater Columbia area. The water gets too cold for them to overwinter. You won't find many alligators above the Santee/Sommerton area.
Also, the state record alligator, if I remember correctly, is only 13'6" so I wouldn't bank on a 15 footer being found in Camden. I can't make you any guarantees but it is probably just a rumor floating around by an active imagination as a result of the Charleston attack. I also heard that he was noodling and that would explain a lot. Noodling is where you wade around feeling under stumps and sticking your arm in holes in the bank trying to grab a big catfish. He found a big gator instead.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:25 PM

4,706 posts, read 7,807,425 times
The northernmost extent of alligator habitat in South Carolina is a line from Congaree Swamp in southern Richland County to the Myrtle Beach area. An alligator in Kershaw County is an aberration and it most likely was bought as a baby and released in the wild when it got too big for the bathtub, lol. I've also heard an alligator was once sighted in Lake Murray, but they are not native to the area and the sighting was never confirmed. There most certainly are alligators in the Charleston area, but not in the Columbia area except in Congaree Swamp.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:16 PM

To add on because I used to work with DNR, there was an alligator in Lake Wylie a few years ago but he was to far north to be native. He was almost certainly released there by someone. He was a wild alligator because we couldn't even get the boat near him he was so afraid of people, like normal wild alligators that haven't been fed.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:19 PM

4 posts, read 89,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HermieCKX View Post
Are there alligators in this area?? I just read another thread talking about a 15 foot alligator in Goodale State park, which is near my home in Camden.
Maybe that's why no one swims around here.
Hermie, I read your posts (the one about Camden) and this is exactly what we are looking for! We currently live in a "so called" upscale comunity in Phoenix and all I can say is I envy you! Below you will find a letter I wrote to our HOA 2 month ago adressing the situation in our community and it may give you an idea how blessed you are living in such a great area.
My wife and I are relocating to Camden in the next 6 month.

My wife and I moved from Hawaii to Phoenix two years ago because of her job and before that we lived for years in Valencia and Santa Monica, CA.
My posting had nothing to do with the home prices. We are actually the lucky ones, we bought our Ashton Woods home last April and with a lot of negotiation we paid over $100,000 less then our next door neighbor who has the exact same house and no upgrades.
When we moved to Phoenix two years ago we bought a house in a brand new development down in Goodyear and belief me, we always do our homework when it comes to houses, location and all the other stuff.
What we could not calculate is the vicious criminal and trashy dynamic here in Phoenix, which has a completely different quality in Arizona compared to Valencia and other parts of LA. We know that the world is not perfect and that there is some crime wherever you go, but it is completely different here in the West Valley. We had a HOA, people had to sign that they cannot rent or sell the house for over 1 year, the homes where in the price range to almost $500,000.
Oh boy, where we in for a surprise. In less then a year that development turn on his head. Hispanic and black gangs roaming the streets, gang graffiti all over, people cooking meth in rental houses, using houses as a drop house for illegals. Section 8 renters destroying houses in less then 6 month. Break-ins and three months ago police made their biggest drug bust ever in this neighborhood. Violent criminals with 2 strikes in California escaping to Arizona and moving right beside you.
One “family” painted their house in gang colors and signs and the city and HOA did not do anything against it. I don't want to bore you, I have many more examples and emails to the City and the police.
For us Verrado is kind of a sanctuary (so we thought) and there are at least two other families from our old neighborhood who moved up here to escape all these problems.
To see now that this stuff is sneaking into Verrado is heart breaking for us. We know that if you ignore this stuff here in AZ (try to find someone who is willing to tell you the truth about Phoenix and the West Valley) it will never get better and the quality of danger is way different then in CA.
For our part, even with all the problems Verrado is still better then where we had to escape from but we are getting to the point that we want to move out of this state.
Before moving to AZ my glass used to be half full, living in AZ for over two years now it got half empty real fast.

This letter dosen't include two naked bodies, dumped right down our street a week ago, strangled and shot. In full view of people driving by with their children and the police didn't even bother to cover them up.

Wolf

Old 09-28-2007, 06:19 PM

47 posts, read 125,817 times
I am trying to tie that last post in with "Alligators" somehow.... Hmmm.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfill View Post
I am trying to tie that last post in with "Alligators" somehow.... Hmmm.
I was replying to her other post (Homesick - help!) and did not notice that I was still on this page... I don't know how to delete it...

Old 09-29-2007, 06:52 AM

Yes, well, ahh, well you see, alligators can be destructive too. I heard about one in Charleston that tried to climb a wooden privacy fence and got stuck. Then it turned the fence into matchsticks trying to get down.

JK Wolfpacks. I don't know if you can edit or not.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Yes, well, ahh, well you see, alligators can be destructive too. I heard about one in Charleston that tried to climb a wooden privacy fence and got stuck. Then it turned the fence into matchsticks trying to get down.

JK Wolfpacks. I don't know if you can edit or not.
It dosent let me edit or remove. I am logged in but it only lets me "reply" on my own post. strange!!

Old 09-29-2007, 09:39 AM

It's no worry Wolfpacks. I got a chuckle out of it and I know you meant to put it under the other thread. We're all easy going around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area