U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 PM

10 posts, read 9,345 times
Question new schools in lexington

We could possibly be moving to Lexington by end of year. I have a son that will be in 10th grade and daughter that will be in 6th grade. With the new schools opening up, will one high school be much larger in population than the other, or will they be pretty balanced? Also, what do people think of the middle schools, such as Pleasant Hill, Lexington, and Glen Meadow? Will the new schools have mostly new teachers, or did some veteran teachers move to new buildings too?

My son was a new student his freshman year, and made friends easily as the kids were very welcoming and friendly towards him. Is that the reputation of the Lexington kids towards new students?

Thank you in advance. My kids are very open to the possible move, but as a mother, I naturally worry...

I have spent countless hours on this site going over the posts for research, but some are so much older and times have changed. I will appreciate your imput.

Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 05:49 AM

844 posts, read 993,944 times
Lexington builds new schools to help relieve the pressure on existing ones. Lexington High is pretty central to the population and naturally has the greatest enrollment. When it gets too large, like it is now, they build a new one central to the area that is growing. River Bluff High is the latest and greatest and is on schedule to open in 2013.

I have experience with Lexington Middle and can say they run a first class operation. The long time principal is retiring this year but her replacement seems to be qualified and experienced. I have a child that will be attending the new middle school that is opening this fall (Meadow Glen) and we have met with the principal. While he was not in a position to confirm which teachers had applied for openings he did say that Meadow Glen will have plenty of talent to pick from. It appears that teachers, like a lot of people, like new things and fresh starts and a brand new school with the most modern facilities is very attractive. While I have no first hand experience with any of the other middle schools we have friends with kids in them and they are pleased with what they are getting.

And kids are kids. We moved into this school district 4 years ago and were immediately welcomed in.

Come on down.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:53 AM

465 posts, read 1,060,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reading9 View Post
We could possibly be moving to Lexington by end of year. I have a son that will be in 10th grade and daughter that will be in 6th grade. With the new schools opening up, will one high school be much larger in population than the other, or will they be pretty balanced? Also, what do people think of the middle schools, such as Pleasant Hill, Lexington, and Glen Meadow? Will the new schools have mostly new teachers, or did some veteran teachers move to new buildings too?

My son was a new student his freshman year, and made friends easily as the kids were very welcoming and friendly towards him. Is that the reputation of the Lexington kids towards new students?

Thank you in advance. My kids are very open to the possible move, but as a mother, I naturally worry...

I have spent countless hours on this site going over the posts for research, but some are so much older and times have changed. I will appreciate your imput.

Thanks!!
Pleasant Hill has a great reputation. As do schools in that part of the district. It could use some updating--cosmetically, but Lexington Middle is a very good school, too (the traffic in the morning and afternoon can be a pain....), Meadow Glen is way too new to say, but on a whole Lexington 1 School District is top notch. The district moved teachers from within the district to staff the new schools but is currently hiring to fill positions as well. I have attached a "school locator" link to see an attendance map of where your child will go to school based on your address (hopefully, the link works) Anyhoo, you can also go to Lexington School District One for further info.

School Information Locator

Old 06-26-2012, 07:39 AM

Thank you for your replies. We are from out of state in the midwest region. My children's current school is small. My son's class has 127, my daughter's is a little smaller. Their school, although much smaller, sounds a lot like the Lexington 1 schools. They expect a lot from their students and deal with behavior issues right away. I feel order breeds order, and chaos breeds chaos. Their current school likes order and from what I've read so does Lexington 1 schools.

We are used to small rural communities, where they have festivals, farmer's market, and things to do that brings people together. I keep reading that Lexington is a smaller town like atmosphere as a suburb of Columbia. Are there things like that to do around Lexington?

Last edited by reading9; 06-26-2012 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 06-26-2012, 07:55 AM

465 posts, read 1,060,298 times
There are farmer's stands through out Lexington. A farmers' market on Saturdays on Main street (sadly, I haven't been a looooong time--I go to the state farmers' market in West Columbia or the one on Whaley Street (in Columbia) on Saturdays). We just had a "Kids Festival" about a month ago--packed but a ton of stuff for kids to do. Lexington--the town-- has a small town atmosphere--with shopping, restaurants (local & chains), and plenty of amenities, it's when you leave the town is it "rural". The lake is nearby and a great destination in the summer. Sports are big, too--my son plays in the county recreation soccer program and the fields are packed to the gills when the season is in session. Baseball and football are also big draws as well. Columbia is a short drive and there are a ton of activities as well.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:26 AM

Thank you, my son is into cross country and golf. My daughter likes basketball and running. Lexington sounds like a nice place to live.

I would love it if people have pictures that capture Lexington and would be willing to post them!

Thank you!!

Old 06-26-2012, 11:53 AM

505 posts, read 411,685 times
I used to teach in Lexington 1. I got out because I didn't have a great experience and I don't like Lexington. But, that is a personal opinion. Lexington 1 schools are great and are always on the cutting edge.

New schools: Meadow Glen Middle. The school faculty was mostly filled with transfers from Lexington MS and Pleasand Hill MS. Dr. Coon used to be the principal at PHMS and brought over many teachers he hired when he was there. They have also hired several people from out of district. Band Director, AD, and the coaches all came from Irmo or Blythewood. It is supposed to open with around 600 students. They also have refused to play Lex MS in sports because of possible "hurt feelings" between the students resulting from the split.

River Bluff HS. Schools opens in 2013, splitting Lexington High nearly in half. Lex HS currently sits at 3200 students and when RBHS opens, Lex HS will drop back to around 1700-1900 and RBHS will open with 1400-1600. Dr. Clamp will be the principal. Outstanding guy. The only hires they have made so far are from in-district transfers. They have not hired an AD, but the Head Baseball Coach is currently an Assistant at White Knoll HS and the Head Boys Basketball Coach is currently the Head JV coach at Lex HS.

I hope you will be prepared for the nightmare that is coming to Lexington 1 high schools when RBHS opens in 2013. That would be Modular Scheduling. Your child will not have 4 blocks a day anymore. They will have 27-32 "modules" a day. One day, your child may have 4 modules of Math and only 1 of English. The next day, they may have 5 modules of English and 2 of Math. The schedule will be different every day. There may be some days where all Algebra 2 students go sit in a theatre for one large lecture where the Algebra 2 teachers will "co-teach and monitor," that is the teachers are supposed to take turns lecturing while the others walk around the theatre. Also, there will be no more designated classrooms. Teachers will have a cubicle that students may come to seeking help. "Classrooms" will be these pods with moveable walls. If a student goes to the cubicles to seek help from their teacher and that teacher is not there, they are to get help from any teacher that teaches that subject...whether they know that teacher or if they are working on the same assignments or not. Also, there will be 4-5 modules of "independent study," where students can go seek help or go to an UNMONITORED study hall. Finally, there will be no set lunch times. The cafeteria will be open from 11-2 and students may eat whenever they desire.

Modular scheduling exists in only 4 other places in the country. Block scheduling works just fine. If it's not broken, don't fix it. District 1 is always trying new things. That's a big reason I got out. I do not share that vision from the district and feel that unmonitored independent times and allowing them to go to lunch as they desire is asking for increased discipline problems. I already had my share this past year since the district allowed kids to listen to iPods and talk on cell phones in the hallways. In addition, by going to this type of scheduling, they have to remodel ALL of the high schools.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:08 PM

717 posts, read 588,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
I used to teach in Lexington 1. I got out because I didn't have a great experience and I don't like Lexington. But, that is a personal opinion. Lexington 1 schools are great and are always on the cutting edge.

New schools: Meadow Glen Middle. The school faculty was mostly filled with transfers from Lexington MS and Pleasand Hill MS. Dr. Coon used to be the principal at PHMS and brought over many teachers he hired when he was there. They have also hired several people from out of district. Band Director, AD, and the coaches all came from Irmo or Blythewood. It is supposed to open with around 600 students. They also have refused to play Lex MS in sports because of possible "hurt feelings" between the students resulting from the split.

River Bluff HS. Schools opens in 2013, splitting Lexington High nearly in half. Lex HS currently sits at 3200 students and when RBHS opens, Lex HS will drop back to around 1700-1900 and RBHS will open with 1400-1600. Dr. Clamp will be the principal. Outstanding guy. The only hires they have made so far are from in-district transfers. They have not hired an AD, but the Head Baseball Coach is currently an Assistant at White Knoll HS and the Head Boys Basketball Coach is currently the Head JV coach at Lex HS.

I hope you will be prepared for the nightmare that is coming to Lexington 1 high schools when RBHS opens in 2013. That would be Modular Scheduling. Your child will not have 4 blocks a day anymore. They will have 27-32 "modules" a day. One day, your child may have 4 modules of Math and only 1 of English. The next day, they may have 5 modules of English and 2 of Math. The schedule will be different every day. There may be some days where all Algebra 2 students go sit in a theatre for one large lecture where the Algebra 2 teachers will "co-teach and monitor," that is the teachers are supposed to take turns lecturing while the others walk around the theatre. Also, there will be no more designated classrooms. Teachers will have a cubicle that students may come to seeking help. "Classrooms" will be these pods with moveable walls. If a student goes to the cubicles to seek help from their teacher and that teacher is not there, they are to get help from any teacher that teaches that subject...whether they know that teacher or if they are working on the same assignments or not. Also, there will be 4-5 modules of "independent study," where students can go seek help or go to an UNMONITORED study hall. Finally, there will be no set lunch times. The cafeteria will be open from 11-2 and students may eat whenever they desire.

Modular scheduling exists in only 4 other places in the country. Block scheduling works just fine. If it's not broken, don't fix it. District 1 is always trying new things. That's a big reason I got out. I do not share that vision from the district and feel that unmonitored independent times and allowing them to go to lunch as they desire is asking for increased discipline problems. I already had my share this past year since the district allowed kids to listen to iPods and talk on cell phones in the hallways. In addition, by going to this type of scheduling, they have to remodel ALL of the high schools.
That's funny because they rebuilt Spring Valley because it was built with modular classrooms. The classrooms when I went in 2003-2004 were all triangle shaped and had strangely built walls where the module walls used to be. It sounds like chaos with the scheduling. At SV they had block classes and skinny classes. Blocks would last one semester and were two times the length of skinnies. Skinnies would last all year and were half a block. Change can be good though...

Old 06-26-2012, 02:17 PM

505 posts, read 411,685 times
Exactly. Pods and modules have been tried before and districts always revert back to traditional blocks or periods. I just do not understand why this district is always changing and trying to find something different when there is a very good system in place. In the past 3 years this district has gone through 3 different ways of one on one computing. The first 2 were 2 different types of laptops. This past year it was iPads. It seems like a waste of resources to go through all of those training sessions just to do something completely different the next year.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:07 PM

The modules sound like a mess! Does anyone else have experience with this? My son currently has block style classes and loved that.

Does anyone know about the Northside Baptist Church private school that just opened up in 2011? I read on their site they will add 9th and 10th grades this fall and hope to open more higher grades thereafter. Last fall they opened up for K-8.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area