U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 02:54 AM

6,634 posts, read 14,132,531 times

Advertisements

Waccamatt, what do you mean when you say the state legislature is a pain?

As Akhenaton said, the legislature's hard-headedness about moving the confederate flag to a museum is one, the fact that South Carolina is one of only a few states without comprehensive hate crimes laws is another, the fact that the legislature spends most of their time "majoring in minors" is relevant, also. IMO, they're more interested in showboating than progressing our state into the 21st century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 07:06 AM

9,055 posts, read 18,012,377 times
First off let me say I don't give a flip too much either way about the confederate flag. It used to mean one thing, certain people have changed the meaning of the flag in today's society (mostly the people who fly it in their yard, paste stickers all over the their trucks, and also the NAACP has contributed). I personally have no problem with a Civil War monument on the capital ground because it did shape the course of our state and is part of our history. We did, after all, fire the first shot in the Civil War.

In regard to hate laws, I don't know enough about what we have and other states have to make an educated statement or even offer an opinion.

Last edited by Brandon Hoffman; 10-06-2007 at 07:25 AM..

Old 10-06-2007, 07:18 AM

843 posts, read 2,447,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Columbia is far from being "of similar stature" with Jacksonville, NC or Marietta, OH.
In that example I used Sumter as a reference, not Columbia. Sumter is very similar in size and demographics to Jacksonville. And it's similar to Parkersburg/Marietta except for crime.

If you can find Coberg milk in Sumter for $3/gal I'd like to know where. Coburg is the only brand we'll drink because everything else smells like salty pretzels, feet or just plain funky.

There's several things I like about Columbia, I'm not bad-mouthing it. It may appear that way because I listed more negatives than positives, but some of the positives had already been stated and I wasn't going to repeat them. I would do the same for any place I've lived because I'd rather give a true unbiased description to someone than try to play it up or down.

I've been around a bit and in my experience the costs of living are higher than they should be. Heck, my buddy bought a brand new build in Clayton/Garner, NC (Raleigh suburbia) and for only $20k more he got nearly twice the living space than the 20 year old place we bought in Dalzell. The house he owned when he lived in Charlotte was just a bit smaller than ours (by 150sqft, I think) but substantially cheaper (almost half what we paid). That is a severe unbalance.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:30 AM

9,055 posts, read 18,012,377 times
Ceezer: There's more that goes into the price of the home than sf. Was there land, where was the location, how much demand is there in that particular location, what was the construction material, upgrades, you get the picture....

As far as Sumter, I don't know the market but I know there is a lot of base housing. Is this possibly the reason things are so high? If you have a decent rental sufficient demand will drive the prices up. Perhaps there's less availability in Sumter than the other places you mentioned. We do have a branch in Sumter and the prices seem very affordable for buying but I don't know about rentals.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:05 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,288,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
In that example I used Sumter as a reference, not Columbia. Sumter is very similar in size and demographics to Jacksonville. And it's similar to Parkersburg/Marietta except for crime.
I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:48 PM

672 posts, read 2,024,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post

our rent was $375/mo. we currently pay about $6-6.50/gal of Coburg and $11/can of Folgers), gas is sometimes as much as $.25/gal more than it is in places like Parkersburg, WV.
I think you need to get your glasses changed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or