Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which neighborhood is ideal for a 27 year old?
The Vista 11 100.00%
Five Points 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:10 PM

16 posts, read 19,073 times

Advertisements

What's going on everyone?

So city-data really helped me out when I moved to the twin cities 3 months ago for a short-term contract. I am moving again , to Columbia this time, on a 1 year contract.

I did a little bit of digging and came to the conclusion that the two areas for a single 27 year old IT professional would be either the Vista or Five Points.

Some questions:
- I will be working a little north of Dentsville. Is traffic terrible going there in the AM and back downtown in the PM? I'll compare the traffic to SF, NY and DC. Those are the cities I am most familiar with.

- I want to live in a fairly new building. As I was going through the forum I read about new constructions going up in some areas. I saw a really nice place called the Hangar Lofts near the airport. However, I prefer high-rises, but google didn't show me much of a skyline for residential places. I would pay up to $1200/month for an apartment, I think that should be sufficient for Columbia, right?

- I want to be able to walk to bars/restaurants/gyms. Being in a new city, living in the burbs is quite boring.

I just want to finish out my contract living a some-what fun life in Columbia. So I look forward to your suggestions/comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 05:27 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,520,162 times
High rise options would be Senate Plaza, Cornell Arms, the Heritage, the Hermitage, Wilshire House, 1600 Park Circle, the Barringer Building or Middleborough. I would look at somewhere in the Vista, though, like Vista Lofts or Parkside. I also like Olympia and Granby Mill Lofts, but they're about a mile from the heart of the Vista. Check out Capital Places website as they have a number of places on Main Street, only a few blocks from the heart of the Vista.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:05 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,940,302 times
I'm 26 and I would choose The Vista area

Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 PM

26 posts, read 87,510 times
Canalside Lofts would also be a good option downtown near the Vista. Had a single buddy (28) who lived there and loved it. Long walk or short cab ride to the Visita and easy access to I-126 and a nice jogging trail along the river.

I'd also consider renting a small house or a garage apartment in the western half of Shandon, Hollywood/Rose Hill, or Wales Garden. Those three are all within walking distance of Five Points, restaurants, bars, grocery stores, and a five minute car ride or ten minute bike ride to the Vista or downtown. Hollywood/Rose Hill and Shandon both have a ton of young professionals and grad students.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:16 PM

16 posts, read 19,073 times
Awesome! I will begin researching the properties mentioned in the above posts.

Any feedback on how traffic would be heading towards Dentsville?

Old 09-18-2012, 05:20 AM

12,810 posts, read 18,638,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARahman View Post
Awesome! I will begin researching the properties mentioned in the above posts.

Any feedback on how traffic would be heading towards Dentsville?
Every morning you'll get to look to your left at the traffic going in the opposite direction and say, "See ya; wouldn't wanna be ya."

Old 09-18-2012, 02:27 PM

611 posts, read 917,984 times
I'd look at the Barringer Building with Capitol Places on Main St. You're a short walk from the Vista, and Main St gets better every day. You're also a long walk (through USC's campus) from 5 points.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:31 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,644,001 times
I'm 23 and would choose Five Points just being it feels more compact than the Vista.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:10 PM

83 posts, read 184,319 times
If you don't need a fake ID, you're too old for most of Five Points.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:08 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,644,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTheGreat View Post
If you don't need a fake ID, you're too old for most of Five Points.
Stereotype much? The Vista is just for a different crowd. I'd rather go to the Vista for drinks and food but I'd rather live in Five Points because of surrounding neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area