Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2019, 03:42 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,844,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I was at CAE this morning... The TSA line was almost back to the USO booth.. I have never seen it that long on Monday that wasn't a holiday weekend. They only had one person checking IDs but had two lines open through security.. though everyone went through one XRay.

At any rate.. just about every departure gate was full with passengers and jets from Delta gates around to American and United gates. American had a rather large plane take off. I have no idea what size plan it was but it had to be one from the 700 series which was pretty cool to see.. I think it was going to either Chicago or Dallas

We boarded at gate 5 lower level so we had to walk out to the plane as the other gates in that wing were occupied or waiting flights. Delta even boarded out of a lower level gate but on their side of the terminal.. I had no idea there were even lower gates over there as I never fly on Delta.. Those passengers had to walk out on the tarmac as well as the other gates were occupied.

If this is indicative of the new norm at CAE.. then that is great to see..with the exception being security.. I normally get through in five to ten minutes.. Today it took about 20 to 30 though that it still better than many airports...
If it was Dallas then it was the A319 otherwise it’s the E175 to Charlotte. But that is all great news to hear that it’s busy. Hopefully airlines keep their eye on CAE.

In other news Via was delayed again and looks like they cancelled their flight for today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 02:40 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
If it was Dallas then it was the A319 otherwise it’s the E175 to Charlotte. But that is all great news to hear that it’s busy. Hopefully airlines keep their eye on CAE.

In other news Via was delayed again and looks like they cancelled their flight for today.

yeah.. I think it was the A319 as it looked the like the one below.. Its funny.. back in the day.. I mean waaay back in the day when I was a kid.. these types/size planes flew into CAE all the time.. The airport may not have had as many flights but definitely the larger planes. I guess somewhere down the line commuter jets became more popular/efficient? Back then there was Delta, Eastern, Piedmont (which is flying under American Airlines now) that serviced Columbia.. Others like Northwestern, US Airways, Express Jet, Comair, ( I know I missed some) and of course Air South came and went... and my personal fav.. INDEPENDENCE AIR... I really miss them.... I am not sure if TWA ever flew to CAE.. that was just a little before my time.. The old terminal used to allow you to walk all the way to the gate to see passengers off though everyone had to go through security. There was then an observation deck where you could actually walk outside and watch the plane take off and experience the noise and the jet blast as it was taxing out... Probably why my hearing is bad now.. .LOL

Last edited by Woodlands; 02-26-2019 at 02:59 PM..

Old 02-26-2019, 02:56 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Carolina

This Airline was based in Florence, SC of all places.....

And HOOO could forget about this one.....in MYR

Last edited by Woodlands; 02-26-2019 at 03:16 PM..

Old 02-26-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
yeah.. I think it was the A319 as it looked the like the one below.. Its funny.. back in the day.. I mean waaay back in the day when I was a kid.. these types/size planes flew into CAE all the time.. The airport may not have had as many flights but definitely the larger planes. I guess somewhere down the line commuter jets became more popular/efficient? Back then there was Delta, Eastern, Piedmont (which is flying under American Airlines now) that serviced Columbia.. Others like Northwestern, US Airways, Express Jet, Comair, ( I know I missed some) and of course Air South came and went... and my personal fav.. INDEPENDENCE AIR... I really miss them.... I am not sure if TWA ever flew to CAE.. that was just a little before my time.. The old terminal used to allow you to walk all the way to the gate to see passengers off though everyone had to go through security. There was then an observation deck where you could actually walk outside and watch the plane take off and experience the noise and the jet blast as it was taxing out... Probably why my hearing is bad now.. .LOL
Not that the airport is busy but I would love for them to construct a viewing area.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:12 PM

157 posts, read 248,792 times
Going back to the destinations we would like to see... I think Columbia needs a low cost airline. Yes CAE mostly relies on business travelers who don’t care about the prices but they lose average customers like me. I have flown out of Charlotte, Myrtle Beach, and even Charleston because of the cheaper fares. I think Spirit could do well in Columbia if they chose the right destinations. I think they should fly to BWI, Atlanta, Chicago, New York, and maybe even Detroit. They should compete with Delta and American to lower the prices. We’ve seen Allegiant and other low cost carriers come and go out of Columbia but they only had flights to Florida and lesiure destinations don’t seem to work out of CAE. It makes me a bit worried that the door might’ve closed for this now that Spirit is flying from Charlotte but what do y’all think?

Old 02-26-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucjanrc View Post
Going back to the destinations we would like to see... I think Columbia needs a low cost airline. Yes CAE mostly relies on business travelers who don’t care about the prices but they lose average customers like me. I have flown out of Charlotte, Myrtle Beach, and even Charleston because of the cheaper fares. I think Spirit could do well in Columbia if they chose the right destinations. I think they should fly to BWI, Atlanta, Chicago, New York, and maybe even Detroit. They should compete with Delta and American to lower the prices. We’ve seen Allegiant and other low cost carriers come and go out of Columbia but they only had flights to Florida and lesiure destinations don’t seem to work out of CAE. It makes me a bit worried that the door might’ve closed for this now that Spirit is flying from Charlotte but what do y’all think?
Hopefully airport numbers continue to go uo this year and not drop like 2017. I’d look forward to frontier coming and adding Denver and maybe JetBlue to Boston, JFK and Fort Lauderdale. Hopefully southwest will swoop in with flights to Chicago, Houston and Denver to compete with United and encourage them to lower prices.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Hopefully airport numbers continue to go uo this year and not drop like 2017. I’d look forward to frontier coming and adding Denver and maybe JetBlue to Boston, JFK and Fort Lauderdale. Hopefully southwest will swoop in with flights to Chicago, Houston and Denver to compete with United and encourage them to lower prices.

Strange that VIA is having some many on time issues.. That doesn't bode well for them if it continues... Frontier or Jet Blue seem like good options.. Would love to get either or both....

Old 02-27-2019, 05:19 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
For many years I was a world business traveler. Fortunately I lived in Boston, NYC, LA and Chicago during those times so I could get anywhere I had to go to and home frequently with rarely any stops.

If I want to be selfish, I would want direct flights from Columbia to Boston, Chicago, and Baltimore as that is where I presently go to the most (leisure, not business anymore). That said, they are not the ones all would choose.

If one has to go to Podunk Iowa, expect a stop or two. It is the nature of the beast.

Stop impressing me with airport codes.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:52 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
Quote:
Strange that VIA is having some many on time issues.. That doesn't bode well for them if it continues...
They have an incredibly small fleet. Thats how it is.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:11 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
They have an incredibly small fleet. Thats how it is.
I was down in the Caribbean (Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands) for Christmas and used Seabourne Airlines to go from SJU to STT, STT to STX and STX to SJU. I read about people's hatred for the airline and constant delays and cancellations.

They have eight Saab 340B and two De Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otters, and when there is a mechanical problem/issue, it has a cascading effect throughout the airline. Each of my 3 flights were delayed from taking off anywhere from 1-2 hours. Knowing about their tardiness, I just took in stride, but can totally see VIA and how it can go from bad to worse very quickly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area