U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2022, 02:08 PM

1,797 posts, read 1,871,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
The easiest explanation for why CLT is busier than BWI, is that for the Baltimore/DC/NOVA metroplex you have 3 airports (BWI, DCA, IAD) spread across the area to choose from, so none of them will ever be as large (traffic-wise) as CLT, but if you combine all three, then yes, they will service more passengers as compared to CLT.

As for the layout, I feel, at least in the US for the major airports/hubs, you either have the horseshoe/semi-circle layout (i.e. CLT, BWI, MSP, LAX, MIA, SFO) or the linear layout (i.e. ATL, DEN, SLC, IAD, DTW). Yes, there are some "hybrids" that combine both types of layouts as well (i.e. ORD).
CLT would not have nearly the number of passengers or flights it currently has if it were not the primary connecting hub for American on the East Coast. Other similar sized cities, many with greater O&D demand than Charlotte, have significantly smaller airports by passenger and flight numbers than Charlotte has. For example, Austin - one of the hottest cities in the country and a major center for tech - only had 14,000,000 passengers in 2021 compared to Charlotte’s 43,000,000. BWI will never have CLT’s hub status or passenger/flight numbers because it will never be a primary hub airport for a legacy carrier. IAD and EWR are hubs for United, DCA and PHL are hubs for American, and I can’t imagine why Delta would open a competing in the DMV region when its two main competitors already have hubs there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 07:19 AM

7,700 posts, read 12,001,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
CLT would not have nearly the number of passengers or flights it currently has if it were not the primary connecting hub for American on the East Coast. Other similar sized cities, many with greater O&D demand than Charlotte, have significantly smaller airports by passenger and flight numbers than Charlotte has. For example, Austin - one of the hottest cities in the country and a major center for tech - only had 14,000,000 passengers in 2021 compared to Charlotte’s 43,000,000. BWI will never have CLT’s hub status or passenger/flight numbers because it will never be a primary hub airport for a legacy carrier. IAD and EWR are hubs for United, DCA and PHL are hubs for American, and I can’t imagine why Delta would open a competing in the DMV region when its two main competitors already have hubs there.

If not for SWA. I can't imagine what the traffic numbers would be for BWI. Selfishly I like it the way it is other than not having a direct flight to CAE. Pre pandemic I used to frequent DCA to go to CAE. ..because it was closer to my office. As we transition back I may shift back there ....I will be using it this week. I am curious to see if the new terminal is open to replace the shuttle bus out to the runway....I have never flown internationally out if BWI. I may take a trip to the UK and give it a try and do a stop over in Iceland as that is widely promoted from there

Old 03-16-2022, 05:38 PM

9,177 posts, read 6,221,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I may take a trip to the UK and give it a try and do a stop over in Iceland as that is widely promoted from there
There's a new Icelandic low-cost airline, PLAY, starting service on April 20th that will fly non-stop from BWI to Reykjavík–Keflavík, not sure what they will be charging for a roundtrip ticket though.

Old 03-21-2022, 04:17 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,028,494 times
I saw on Instagram that starting in April the South Carolina National Guard will be temporarily utilizing CAE. It will be cool to see F-16’s taking off and landing hehe

Old 03-22-2022, 08:54 PM

I flew into Columbia from DCA this past Wednesday the 16th. The former Terminal X with the shuttle bus from the gate to the plane is now gone and there is a nice new concourse and security gate which is great. My flight down on to CAE hit some weather right before we were to land and we had to divert to CLT. The Pilot said, and I think I am quoting him correctly, that our radar got knocked out and though he could land at CAE without it.. he wanted to be safe. So, we diverted to CLT and walked four gates down and boarded another plane with the same passengers and crew and went on to Columbia.. The flight was already delayed out of DCA and we were to arrive at 7pm ish and got in just shy of midnight.

I guess my question is.. if I am quoting him right.. what radar system do they have in CLT that helps a plane without radar land that they dont have in CAE? Again maybe I heard him wrong as I pulled by ear buds out but between that and what guy next to me said.. that appeared to be the issue....Just never heard of that...The pilot seemed torn between trying to "make it in" versus diverting.. He cut his mic a few times.. I guess consulting with the co pilot. If we all would have shouted "You Can DOOO IT!" or groaned loudly with discontent of another delay.... he may actually have tried.(LOL I sincerely hope not)...But I didnt want the same fate as what happened to the flight with the guy from Blink 182 on it when it took off from CAE so its better to be late than never...

Last edited by Woodlands; 03-22-2022 at 09:12 PM..

Old 05-06-2022, 09:08 AM

According to CAE’s Instagram they announced that American Airlines has reinstated Miami. Hopefully it stays year round.

Old 05-10-2022, 08:14 PM

I recently came back from Little Rock Arkansas. Little Rock is a kissing cousin to Columbia. A midsize southern city that is on a river and the State Capitol. Both have roughly the same populations. I guess the only other similar city would be Montgomery AL. Downtown vs Downtown. I think Columbia's is a little better connected as the State Capitol is integrated into the Downtown area. In LR, its a little detached and separated by the Financial District. LR hugs the River and interacts nicely with it and there are several pedestrian connections including a streetcar over the river to North Little Rock which is the equivalent of West Columbia. Downtown Columbia plus the Vista provide a larger district with way more restaurants than LR comparatively speaking. LR has a 40 story and a 30 story building in their skyline compared to our 26 story. They have several highways that skirt the CBD that make it every accessible while ours dead end in the city center finally both cities are struggling with crime. Columbia does seem to benefit from having a major university and Ft Jackson along with being on the east cost which provides a steady stream of transplants in and out of the city. LR seems more insular given its location in between the Deep South and the West though it is bordered by I believe five states. Their convention center also is way bigger than ours.

The airport is about ten minutes by interstate from downtown.. which is the real reason why I posted this.. The Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport ( I forgot to mention that have a little Library dedicated to the former President.. nothing major LOL) Has Allegient, Frontier and Southwest which are not at CAE. CAE seems a little more updated and is certainly better waiting room experience with the sky lights and glass observation area.. But LIT has more restaurants compared to CAE mall food court feel.

Does anyone know where I could find the number for LIT and CAE to compare the passenger traffic? It seems that LIT has more traffic that CAE from older data I have seen. I wonder if that is because of Columbia's proximity to CLT which is about an hour while LIT is about 2hrs from Memphis and 4 hours from Dallas?

Old 05-11-2022, 01:51 AM

Quote:
I recently came back from Little Rock Arkansas. Little Rock is a kissing cousin to Columbia. A midsize southern city that is on a river and the State Capitol. Both have roughly the same populations. I guess the only other similar city would be Montgomery AL. Downtown vs Downtown. I think Columbia's is a little better connected as the State Capitol is integrated into the Downtown area. In LR, its a little detached and separated by the Financial District. LR hugs the River and interacts nicely with it and there are several pedestrian connections including a streetcar over the river to North Little Rock which is the equivalent of West Columbia. Downtown Columbia plus the Vista provide a larger district with way more restaurants than LR comparatively speaking. LR has a 40 story and a 30 story building in their skyline compared to our 26 story. They have several highways that skirt the CBD that make it every accessible while ours dead end in the city center finally both cities are struggling with crime. Columbia does seem to benefit from having a major university and Ft Jackson along with being on the east cost which provides a steady stream of transplants in and out of the city. LR seems more insular given its location in between the Deep South and the West though it is bordered by I believe five states. Their convention center also is way bigger than ours.

The airport is about ten minutes by interstate from downtown.. which is the real reason why I posted this.. The Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport ( I forgot to mention that have a little Library dedicated to the former President.. nothing major LOL) Has Allegient, Frontier and Southwest which are not at CAE. CAE seems a little more updated and is certainly better waiting room experience with the sky lights and glass observation area.. But LIT has more restaurants compared to CAE mall food court feel.

Does anyone know where I could find the number for LIT and CAE to compare the passenger traffic? It seems that LIT has more traffic that CAE from older data I have seen. I wonder if that is because of Columbia's proximity to CLT which is about an hour while LIT is about 2hrs from Memphis and 4 hours from Dallas?
I couldn't find anything as far as year by year statistics for LIT but there is this page where you can tediously look up the month by month statistics from their homepage: https://www.clintonairport.com/airpo...ivity-reports/

It's funny that they are so similar although I've always generally considered Columbia bigger. Columbia seems to always have this "I don't look my size" sort of thing going on... It's peer cities generally have taller buildings, more impressive downtowns, bigger airports, more amenities, etc...

I may have mentioned this before but my cousin and his boyfriend are well traveled (they've lived in D.C., NY, Paris, Arizona, Atlanta). They lived in Montgomery for about 1.5 years (military) and they had little good to say about Montgomery and that Columbia is head and shoulders ahead of that city in every regard. They try to visit Columbia a few times a year for concerts.

Anyway, interesting comparison and points you bring up. I didn't know a lot about Little Rock but it seems at a glance that is ahead of Columbia in many ways even if it is a tad smaller in population (metro).

As far as the airport statistics, I think you mentioned some of it but it all has to do with geography. If you look at a lot of these landlocked midwestern states, other than a few cities within several hours, it'll take you forever and a day to travel beyond to other cities beyond that. Want to go to the beach? You'll most likely be booking a flight. Want to go to the nearest big city? You'll most likely be booking a flight unless you want to drive to dallas (almost 5 hours).

With Columbia you have these Dallas sized cities nearby in Atlanta and Charlotte and the beach right there. I mean, CAE is just now tapping into booking flights into South Florida. Besides that the rest of Florida is a doable days drive. Jacksonville is less than 5 hours and the middle of Florida I think is a grey area as far as willingness to drive or book a flight (depending on your reason for travel). As for LIT, they offer 3 flights to Florida (2 seasonal) and I'm sure they fly more passengers there and back when compared to CAE.

Lastly, Little Rock is basically in the middle of the country. It's proximity to the east and west offers more options . It's an interesting topic to analyze...

Old 05-11-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I couldn't find anything as far as year by year statistics for LIT but there is this page where you can tediously look up the month by month statistics from their homepage: https://www.clintonairport.com/airpo...ivity-reports/

It's funny that they are so similar although I've always generally considered Columbia bigger. Columbia seems to always have this "I don't look my size" sort of thing going on... It's peer cities generally have taller buildings, more impressive downtowns, bigger airports, more amenities, etc...

I may have mentioned this before but my cousin and his boyfriend are well traveled (they've lived in D.C., NY, Paris, Arizona, Atlanta). They lived in Montgomery for about 1.5 years (military) and they had little good to say about Montgomery and that Columbia is head and shoulders ahead of that city in every regard. They try to visit Columbia a few times a year for concerts.

Anyway, interesting comparison and points you bring up. I didn't know a lot about Little Rock but it seems at a glance that is ahead of Columbia in many ways even if it is a tad smaller in population (metro).

As far as the airport statistics, I think you mentioned some of it but it all has to do with geography. If you look at a lot of these landlocked midwestern states, other than a few cities within several hours, it'll take you forever and a day to travel beyond to other cities beyond that. Want to go to the beach? You'll most likely be booking a flight. Want to go to the nearest big city? You'll most likely be booking a flight unless you want to drive to dallas (almost 5 hours).

With Columbia you have these Dallas sized cities nearby in Atlanta and Charlotte and the beach right there. I mean, CAE is just now tapping into booking flights into South Florida. Besides that the rest of Florida is a doable days drive. Jacksonville is less than 5 hours and the middle of Florida I think is a grey area as far as willingness to drive or book a flight (depending on your reason for travel). As for LIT, they offer 3 flights to Florida (2 seasonal) and I'm sure they fly more passengers there and back when compared to CAE.

Lastly, Little Rock is basically in the middle of the country. It's proximity to the east and west offers more options . It's an interesting topic to analyze...
Its funny because people in Little Rock are very similar.. They have somewhat of a condescending attitude towards their City and felt that Birmingham, Mobile and to some extent Bentonville (NW Arkansas) were doing "better" than they were.. I met with some folks and toured the Hillcrest section of NW Little Rock on the bluffs of the Arkansas River. It was vary similar to Shandon and Rosewood.. The mover in shakers in local and state politics lived up there along with many of the former Clinton White House Staffers and members of the Dillard (dept store) heirs. The neighborhood had its own business district that resembled Rosewood Drive and Five Points but was more developed and populated with stores and shops. They were having a huge influx of new residents who were buying some of the "rosewood" style and sized homes and tearing them down to build much larger homes.. often spending $200k just to tear them down and build a new home that blended into the area for over $1m. That is an issue that I dont think is happening in Columbia. Also, I dont think we use the term "Hoss" nearly as much either...

Anyway sorry to get off topic but its amazing the similarities..

Hillcrest Neighborhood District

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7575...7i16384!8i8192

Clinton Airport

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Li...!4d-92.2880157

North Little Rock Downtown (Just like West Columbia )

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7570...7i13312!8i6656

Downtown Little Rock

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7475...7i16384!8i8192

Old 05-12-2022, 01:38 AM

37,231 posts, read 37,976,598 times
Quote:
I recently came back from Little Rock Arkansas. Little Rock is a kissing cousin to Columbia. A midsize southern city that is on a river and the State Capitol. Both have roughly the same populations. I guess the only other similar city would be Montgomery AL.
Noooo....Baton Rouge is much more similar to Columbia in practically all respects IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area