U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2012, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,168 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on taking the road test next week but I'm not sure which DMV I should take the test at. I've heard that the Ballentine/Irmo DMV and the Lexington DMV are the best and Shop Road is the worst/busiest.

If anyone knows of a spot where I could practice parallel parking with the barricades please tell me because the DMVs have the "No practicing Monday-Friday 8am-5pm" signs. Also I've been trying to find tips for parallel parking with barricades online but I've yet to find anything helpful, so if anyone has any tips please tell me also. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 10:14 AM

928 posts, read 1,290,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkyoreo16 View Post
I'm planning on taking the road test next week but I'm not sure which DMV I should take the test at. I've heard that the Ballentine/Irmo DMV and the Lexington DMV are the best and Shop Road is the worst/busiest.

If anyone knows of a spot where I could practice parallel parking with the barricades please tell me because the DMVs have the "No practicing Monday-Friday 8am-5pm" signs. Also I've been trying to find tips for parallel parking with barricades online but I've yet to find anything helpful, so if anyone has any tips please tell me also. Thanks so much.
I would take it at the Blythewood one. The Shop Road one is probably the busiest. I would always just practice at the DMV after it closed.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:29 PM

3,823 posts, read 8,917,357 times
as a transplant this may seem like a dumb question, but isnt it required to log in so many hours of "practice" time behind the wheel as part of the process to get a DL, in addition to driver's ed? While parallel parking for any newbie can be tough, ive never heard of being able to practice with barricades instead of actual cars (to get a feel for the depth, angles, etc).

just curious.

and OP, good luck!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:28 PM

928 posts, read 1,290,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
as a transplant this may seem like a dumb question, but isnt it required to log in so many hours of "practice" time behind the wheel as part of the process to get a DL, in addition to driver's ed? While parallel parking for any newbie can be tough, ive never heard of being able to practice with barricades instead of actual cars (to get a feel for the depth, angles, etc).

just curious.

and OP, good luck!
In SC you don't have to take driver's ed and most people lie about the hours they have had of practice. The test is with barricades... I always practiced with barricades and can parallel park just fine.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 AM

3,823 posts, read 8,917,357 times
that's interesting.
In Wi we (and our daughter) had to take a course for classroom time available starting at 15.5 yrs of age, after you passed the written test, and then you got behind the wheel time with your instructor for "x" hours. This was in addition to the logged time on your own with a parent or adult (sure one can lie, but it can show if the driver has little skill whe the drivers test comes). Then it was over to the DMV for the behind the wheel test on the road/hiway, once you were 16.
I'm sure near every state has their own requirements or lack of, and not saying one's better then the other. Just glad we learned certain tasks like parking on roads with active cars so you could get a true feel for not only parking, but doing it with traffic flowing around you (helps on any nerves).

Old 11-01-2012, 10:19 AM

727 posts, read 1,134,556 times
I could be wrong, but I remember a few years ago that in SC, you got the learner's permit at 15. In order to get the provisional (only drive from 8 am to 8 pm) before 16, you had to take a driver's ed class in order to take the road test. At 16, you could get a provisional without the course. Then at 17, it became a regular license.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:47 AM

727 posts, read 1,134,556 times
Also wanted to add that when I taught in Lexington, students always said that Batesburg was the easier/better road test.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:25 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,730,596 times
When I was a kid (many years ago and miles away), when you took your drivers road test, the licensed adult that took you (usually ones Mom or Dad) sat in the back seat and the DMV Officer (yes, they were police) sat in the front and observed you.

The local story was put a $10 in the front seat for the officer and unless you really screwed up, you passed.

My Mom took me. I asked her, you got a $10? She said......no, it is your exam. Unless you have $10, you better drive good........LOL

Old 07-02-2014, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,363 times
First time I took at shop road..mostly messed up on parallel parking..second time I received a woman who was rude..positive attitudes would help smh!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or