Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 02:21 PM

91 posts, read 135,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taintitgreat View Post
If you voted Yes on the "Penny Tax" referendum I will not say you are stupid, but you demonstrated short-sightedness and a severe lack of foresight in the greater ramifications on the attractiveness of Richland Co for current and/or possible future high quality residents.
Those who voted Yes, could easily make the same point about those who voted No using those exact same words. It's all in your viewpoint. I don't think anyone is stupid regardless of how they voted. Both sides have reasonable points on the issue. I think time will tell whether this was the right way to address it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 03:34 PM

45 posts, read 46,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCity66 View Post
Those who voted Yes, could easily make the same point about those who voted No using those exact same words. It's all in your viewpoint. I don't think anyone is stupid regardless of how they voted. Both sides have reasonable points on the issue. I think time will tell whether this was the right way to address it.
Good point. Richland Co officials proved they cannot effectively manage an election, yet we want them to effectively manage $1bn+ of our money. Time will tell, already not looking so well.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:54 PM

12,877 posts, read 18,736,837 times
It was her first time. Her predecessor's first time was in the '70s. When you think about it, until different factions started talking about a recount and doing the election over, the worst thing that happened was a very long wait at some polls because of a misjudgment of how many machines were needed. That's very unlikely to happen again because of all the uproar.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:08 PM

377 posts, read 709,478 times
If anything, I would expect hourly employees to be less likely to wait five hours to vote, as that's five hours of wages they're missing out on. Being salaried, I didn't lose any pay, and since I made it in to work (where I promptly passed out from exhaustion, who knew standing in line could take so much out of you), I didn't burn any PTO either. The precinct you worked and the one I voted in sound like they're very demographically different, so all either of us can do is speculate based on limited anecdotal experiences.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:54 AM

611 posts, read 920,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
It was her first time. Her predecessor's first time was in the '70s. When you think about it, until different factions started talking about a recount and doing the election over, the worst thing that happened was a very long wait at some polls because of a misjudgment of how many machines were needed. That's very unlikely to happen again because of all the uproar.

Too bad they can't fire her. She doesn't deserve a second time.

Her job is to run the elections, and she was a massive failure by all accounts. It's a shame that typical Richland County politics ran out the existing Director when they consolidated the departments, and then gave the consolidated department a higher budget than the 2 departments combined (so much for efficiency). Even with more money thrown at it, we had one of the worst election experiences in the entire country.

This isn't even a partisan issue. No matter if one is in favor or against the tax, or voted D or R...the process was a failure for all concerned.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:37 AM

The SC State Supreme Court has ruled in Richland County's favor on the penny sales tax. Expanded bus routes are once again planned for June 1.

SC Supreme Court rules for Richland County on penny; bus service poised for expansion by June 1 | Election | The State

Old 03-22-2013, 01:23 PM

377 posts, read 709,478 times
I should be relieved that a court has ruled that something that passed by popular vote can, in fact, be enacted, but I'm just annoyed that that was ever even in question.

Anyone know if Hard Scrabble is still at or near the top of the list for projects?

Old 03-22-2013, 01:49 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The SC State Supreme Court has ruled in Richland County's favor on the penny sales tax. Expanded bus routes are once again planned for June 1.

SC Supreme Court rules for Richland County on penny; bus service poised for expansion by June 1 | Election | The State

The same thing happened in Charleston County a few years back when they raised county sales tax by 1%. The first time the court ruled the wording was "strange" and did throw the vote out and it had passed. After the next election when it passed again, it was appealed but the court threw out the objections.

Same $hit...different county.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:57 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
The same thing happened in Charleston County a few years back when they raised county sales tax by 1%. The first time the court ruled the wording was "strange" and did throw the vote out and it had passed. After the next election when it passed again, it was appealed but the court threw out the objections.

Same $hit...different county.
It did not go to court but, some neo conservative group in Charlotte petitioned the county to re-vote on the transit sales tax in Charlotte. It was a waste of money and voter's time. The good news is that it passed by a wider margin in the second vote. Seems like it happens everywhere.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:32 AM

The penny sales tax campaign just won a "best in the state" award.

CGM AWARDED BEST PUBLIC AFFAIRS CAMPAIGN IN SC FOR 2013

The South Carolina Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America’s Annual Ceremony Recognizes Best Public Relations Work in the State

Columbia, S.C. – On April 25, at the South Carolina Public Relations Society of America’s annual Mercury Awards, Citizens for a Greater Midlands was awarded best public affairs campaign of the year for the “Our Penny” campaign advocating for the transportation penny in Richland County. The Mercury awards recognize public relations practitioners and communicators for excellence in public relations campaigns and tactics.

Citizens for a Greater Midlands (CGM), a citizens’ organization formed by concerned members of the community and supported by the Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce worked to change public opinion about transportation in the Midlands and mobilized voters to support the one cent sales tax for transportation funding on the 2012 ballot.

“We are honored to receive this recognition on behalf of the ‘Our Penny’ campaign,” said Ike McLeese, president and CEO of the Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce. “Thanks to the dedicated efforts of community business leaders and concerned citizens the penny passed, and now these funds will be put into action making our roads safer, improving the quality of our public transportation and increasing the number of bike, pedestrian and greenways in the community. As a result, our community will be able to develop the transportation network necessary to open the door for further economic development.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area