Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 01:28 PM

17 posts, read 33,807 times

Advertisements

We are a family of four that will be relocating to Lexington in 2 weeks for work reasons. We currently live in Florida and have decided to take our losses here and move near family in SC. The economy has far from picked up down here and after my small business (Moving Company) went broke I've decided its time to get out of this horrible heat and worse job market!. We will be staying with family for a few weeks until we secure a home rental (apartment preferably) and solid employment. What info i'm looking for is ...... Coming from NY we are Yankees lol but we've adjusted to southern living well living down here. And honestly would never move back to NY again! I know FL is'nt barely the south anymore lol but there still is plenty of southern influence in our county. How will we be perceived? Are employers bias?? Are locals inviting towards out of towners? How are the apartments? down here they seem to collect only knuckleheads sadly. And one BIG question how pro gun is columbia/lex? I myself am 100% pro gun and the amateur collector myself. Well I guess there are tons of other questions I could ask but these are the main things I need to know. .... Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 02:12 PM

12,912 posts, read 18,756,320 times
How do you sound when you talk? Seriously, my sister-in-law's parents are from NY and they've never seemed to have any significant problems. The topic of where you're from will be of interest to people mostly in a friendly way. Expect to be around a lot of gun lovers, white people, churchgoers, beer lovers and pickup trucks, as well as your suburban Columbia office types. And above all else, do not tell anyone how they did it up north, or even in Florida.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:29 PM

17 posts, read 33,807 times
I have a hint of a New York accent. I grew up in Queens so we don't have that horrible Brooklyn accent by any means lol. It even annoys me trust me I have family in Staten Island and Brooklyn lol. From your post it seems like we will do great in Lexington! Oh and I hate when people compare where they are from so I wont have an issue there. I dont live in NYC anymore and im leaving FL so i'm looking for a new start!

Old 01-30-2013, 07:08 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,914,536 times
I thought you were moving to the Myrtle Beach area.
You posted this exact thread in MB forum thread, only you inserted lexington
instead.
Which is it?

Old 01-30-2013, 07:51 PM

47 posts, read 80,625 times
Gosh, there are so many transplants in Columbia that we don't even call them "damn yankees" anymore....lol..totally joking.

I'm originally from SC and have moved all over the country with my husband's job. I don't think you will have any trouble b/c you have a Northern accent. Columbia is not even one of the areas in SC with strong southern accents to begin with. Places close to Ga and NC tend to have more typical southern accents and small towns. Hemingway for example is terrible. I can't even understand what people are saying from there. Most people in SC are extremely nice and friendly. I've also lived in Orlando, Fl. and frankly the summers there are not much different from here. The differences will be in the fact that you will get definite seasons as opposed to hot year round. Lots of gun lovers here so you'll fit right in. The one thing you will miss about FL is the lack of state income tax and property tax on cars and boats. My husband is a Florida resident and has claimed that as his state but now is retired from the military and we unfortunately have to give up those perks, however, we still chose to retire in SC b/c it's definitely the best state we have ever lived. Disclaimer: I'm slightly biased being from here.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,667,816 times
Many of my friends are as they say in SC, "from off", especially in the greater Lexington area as it is full of transplants. You will feel very welcome.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:17 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
we moved down here 4 yrs ago from WI, rented the 1st year and have owned a home in a different 'hood the past 3. In both locations, we've had neighbors that were not only from the midwest (MI & OH seem popular) but actually WI as well. Seems anytime i wear my UW colors (or Packers for that matter) whether we're walking around Cola, Charleston, etc someone will come up and the conversation will include with them being from WI as well.
So my guess is there are plenty of NY area transplants as well that you'd run into. My only suggestion and one that we followed coming here-- I made sure i didnt act like this was back home, and turn every conversation on how things were different or better where i was from. Want to make friends? Dont tell them what they are doing is wrong, and your way is right. You are the newbie and as such should blend in, learning new foods, sports attitudes, etc along the way. Then you can joke about how easy winter is here while they are all bundled up and shivering.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:36 PM

730 posts, read 1,401,907 times
Lots of transplants here. Especially Ohio and Pennsylvania, in my experiences. I swear half the cars have an Ohio State decal(where they're from) and USC decal(they're adopted team living here).

Old 01-31-2013, 05:54 PM

377 posts, read 709,793 times
Well, for starters, you're not escaping the heat. I moved up from the Tampa area a few years ago and I wanted to die a little bit my first summer here. I sold my convertible after a year because it was thoroughly useless in this weather.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:53 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nin_man View Post
Well, for starters, you're not escaping the heat. I moved up from the Tampa area a few years ago and I wanted to die a little bit my first summer here. I sold my convertible after a year because it was thoroughly useless in this weather.

guess it's all how you view it, we bought our first convertible once we moved down to SC.... and use it all the time lol. For us, rare are the days the top is up in summer, those usually are the blistering afternoons when we already were out all day and just want the ac for a bit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area