U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2007, 06:32 PM

7 posts, read 23,133 times

Advertisements

So my family and I are considering relocating to the Columbia area. I have a few questions, I will definitely visit multiple areas and rent for awhile before I commit to a new piece of real estate but I want some honest feedback from people who live in Columbia.

I would like to live in a suburb. I want relatively low crime, and a house in the $275,000-$325,000 range. I am not looking for a lot of land, preferably under an acre. Where is a neighborhood where you could buy a relatively large, newer house at this price? Is crime really that bad in Columbia? I also don't want to live in the middle of nowhere and would like to live in a place where new comers that aren't from south Carolina are generally welcome.

Thank you all so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 06:47 PM

6,643 posts, read 14,164,691 times
Gosh, there are so many areas you can find a beautiful, large home for your price range. Crime is not that bad in Columbia; there are a few bad areas to avoid, but that is not hard to do. A lot of people like Lake Carolina in Northeast Columbia. They have homes of many price ranges. I had to chuckle about you saying you didn't want a lot of land - under an acre. I consider a 1/3 acre lot to be much more land than I need. Some other areas that might fit your bill are Blythewood and the Summit. Richland County is much more diverse than Lexington and the other counties int he metro and you will find many people from all over. Once you know where you will be working, we could make many recommendations.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:52 PM

9,071 posts, read 18,068,318 times
You could live anywhere in Columbia in that price range and have something that fits your description. Irmo/Harbison, Chapin, Lexington, NE Columbia, W. Columbia all fit the bill. Some possible subdivisions are Governors Grant in Lexington, Belfair in Irmo, Lake Carolina in NE Columbia, Lake Frances in W.Columbia, and Timberlake in Chapin. Those are just some examples, you have probably 30+ subdivisions that you could choose from. I'd recommend a visit and tour of different areas then pick an area to focus on. Do you know where you'd be working yet?

Old 10-22-2007, 08:27 AM

7 posts, read 23,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
You could live anywhere in Columbia in that price range and have something that fits your description. Irmo/Harbison, Chapin, Lexington, NE Columbia, W. Columbia all fit the bill. Some possible subdivisions are Governors Grant in Lexington, Belfair in Irmo, Lake Carolina in NE Columbia, Lake Frances in W.Columbia, and Timberlake in Chapin. Those are just some examples, you have probably 30+ subdivisions that you could choose from. I'd recommend a visit and tour of different areas then pick an area to focus on. Do you know where you'd be working yet?

I'm actually widowed and don't work. My children are grown and one who is finishing her degree up here in Massachusetts will be moving with me and living with me for awhile until we both get settled. I really want a sense of community where there's lots of community events and I don't have to worry about burglary. I want to be located where there is enough to do but not necessarily surrounded by city life. I want a nice close-knit community.

I found the website gardenerguides.com/ColumbiaInfo.htm can anyone from Columbia vouch for this site and tell me its accuracy?

Old 10-22-2007, 10:35 AM

673 posts, read 2,027,922 times
I think you would like the Lake Carolina community. Lots of new houses in that price range. Lots going on for all ages.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:54 PM

21 posts, read 77,406 times
I recommend LAKE CAROLINA as well. They have a website Lake Carolina - Homes for Sale in Columbia South Carolina lots of activities and a very close community. I am from NJ and will be moving there next month.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:32 PM

9,071 posts, read 18,068,318 times
Garden Guides is one of the standard magazines in the area. Your choices are wide open at this point. I think either NE Columbia or the Irmo/Harbison area may be a better fit for you. There are plenty of nice communities in your range.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:15 AM

843 posts, read 2,451,532 times
They're building new neighborhoods just North of Sandhills, aren't they? That might be an area you would want to consider because you'll have access to just about all the shopping you can imagine at Sandhills, plus a decent little selection of restaurants and a theater, without having to worry about traffic. Across from Sandhills is the Clemson land where they have walking trails and stuff, plus a farmers market (Tuesday evenings?). Clemson also runs the co-ops around here (at least here in Sumter) so they may have agricultural classes you could look into taking (if you enjoy gardening/landscaping).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area