Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 04:17 PM

229 posts, read 392,982 times

Advertisements

NE traffic may be a little harsh but no where near Lexington traffic... but I definitely can make it to the VA in 30 minutes. The hard part is getting to the highway. Depends when you leave and where you live, it flows pretty reasonably. Although I don't live by Wildwood/Spring Valley it seems like traffic would not be bad there. Just take polo road straight to I77 to go to the VA.

I don't know about schools in the NE but I heard they're not too bad...

Also I have no kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 02:36 PM

56 posts, read 117,066 times
Default moving to columbia, sc

Thank you for the link very helpful, after reviewing photos the downtown area (five point) we like the "historic-older" look of the houses and the walkability of the area. But when we looked up the school district, many poor comments, racially unbalanced and less than stellar testing scores. This is why we went with Lexington 1 school district based on school scores. As for commute time, all we did was put the areas into mapquest for approx commute time although traffic "heaviness" is not included in their data. Then we went with crime incidences though this seem fairly spread out. We don't want to live in a new community, house association areas. Close to YMCA is important.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:33 AM

Why are the middle & high school "grades" so low in the Richland 1 district, living around university kids would be part of this district. Is NE better than melrose, university heights when raising kids?

Old 03-13-2013, 08:44 AM

12,741 posts, read 18,531,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barba View Post
Why are the middle & high school "grades" so low in the Richland 1 district, living around university kids would be part of this district. Is NE better than melrose, university heights when raising kids?
Your research told you that high school and middle school grades are low at Dreher High School and Hand Middle School? Those schools are consistently in the top tier in the state's rankings.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 AM

83 posts, read 183,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Your research told you that high school and middle school grades are low at Dreher High School and Hand Middle School? Those schools are consistently in the top tier in the state's rankings.
Based on the poster's comments, I'm thinking the data was only broken down by district as a whole.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTheGreat View Post
Based on the poster's comments, I'm thinking the data was only broken down by district as a whole.
Maybe so. In an earlier post I had already mentioned that I would go by individual schools and not the school district. Schools and the students in them perform largely according to the neighborhoods they're zoned for.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 PM

I went to greatschools.com and state of columbia website to obtain my information. Lexington and Dutch Fork rated 10/10 whereas schools serving the area of University Hill, Melrose, Shannon neighborhoods were rated 4/10, racially unbalanced the parent comment section had no positive comments regarding these schools.
I understand that NE/Lake area traffic is very bad but not as bad as Lexington/Irmo. What is Cayce/West Columbia area versus St. Andrews and Eau Claire?
Thanks again for help.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:08 PM

Where do most professors live that teach at USC?

Old 03-17-2013, 10:12 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,475,443 times
Quote:
Where do most professors live that teach at USC?
Shandon, Rosewood, Elmwood Park, Cottontown, Earlewood Park, University Hill, Wales Garden, Melrose Heights, Hollywood/Rose Hill.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
I went to greatschools.com and state of columbia website to obtain my information. Lexington and Dutch Fork rated 10/10 whereas schools serving the area of University Hill, Melrose, Shannon neighborhoods were rated 4/10, racially unbalanced the parent comment section had no positive comments regarding these schools.
I understand that NE/Lake area traffic is very bad but not as bad as Lexington/Irmo. What is Cayce/West Columbia area versus St. Andrews and Eau Claire?
Thanks again for help.
Apparently the site you visited breaks stats down by school district. The 4/10 rating for Dreher High and Hand Middle isn't within the realm of possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area