U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 01:58 PM

222 posts, read 312,710 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking of moving from Columbia just to find a nice big city with newer stores and such but have been thinking Columbia does have a lot for me. I love the gamecocks and have quite a few friends here and of course a pretty awesome career.

I was wondering if I would feel more satisfied if I lived downtown? I have a starter home of 1620 sq feet. I like the beach being relatively close. I was pondering Raleigh since it seems a little more upscale and close to wilmington beach and I like hockey sports but wouldn't know many people there and unsure about a job situation there. I like that it's closer to the north for trips to Maryland that we make.

Downtown seems a little nicer and i think it would be a must to be able to walk to the vista (but yes that will be pricey.)

It just might seem weird to move 20 miles away? I would hate to not like it and want to move again. My house is 3 1/2 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 02:07 PM

9,606 posts, read 13,723,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceisvince View Post
I've been thinking of moving from Columbia just to find a nice big city with newer stores and such but have been thinking Columbia does have a lot for me. I love the gamecocks and have quite a few friends here and of course a pretty awesome career.

I was wondering if I would feel more satisfied if I lived downtown? I have a starter home of 1620 sq feet. I like the beach being relatively close. I was pondering Raleigh since it seems a little more upscale and close to wilmington beach and I like hockey sports but wouldn't know many people there and unsure about a job situation there. I like that it's closer to the north for trips to Maryland that we make.

Downtown seems a little nicer and i think it would be a must to be able to walk to the vista (but yes that will be pricey.)

It just might seem weird to move 20 miles away? I would hate to not like it and want to move again. My house is 3 1/2 years old.
Such a move would add to the credence of the "back to the city" mantra in demographic news reports these days.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:20 PM

7,269 posts, read 13,484,325 times
Do any of your friends live downtown? They could probably help guide you, since they actually know you and know what you like and don't like.

It *might* be a little hard to find a house within easy walking distance of the vista, so are you open to an equivalent condo?

Old 03-11-2013, 02:31 PM

I'm quite familiar with downtown (at least I think I am). I know there's some condos on Senate street next to the river that I kinda like for $300k + and a tad more space then I have. But that's a good 10 minute walk -
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=s...w&mra=ltm&z=18

None of my friends live downtown, they actually live in the NE more so. NE is nice and expanding but I like going downtown, but maybe i'd get sick of it i'm not sure. But I like the restaurants and variety. NE is food chains out the ying yang, scattered stores, i mean everything is there as well but it's not downtown.

I hope I could move with a year or so because right now the housing market isn't quite what I need it to be. Which is two fold

Old 03-11-2013, 06:21 PM

6,626 posts, read 14,122,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceisvince View Post

Get a hotel room at the Hilton, Hampton Inn or the Sheraton and spend a weekend living in the Vista. There are enough restaurants to keep you busy and check out a play at Trustus, go to the Art Bar or see a show at the Koger Center or Colonial Life Arena. If you live in the suburbs there is a world of difference downtown. I live and work in-town and almost never go out to the suburbs.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:07 PM

572 posts, read 734,205 times
The problem with the Vista is that there isn't a great deal of housing stock within easy walking distance. (Sure there are some houses in the Arsenal Hill area, but not a ton)

However, Elmwood Park and Earlewood are barely a 5 minute drive. We went out a LOT more when we lived downtown than when we moved out to the 'burbs. My wife still talks about how she wishes we still lived in-town.

I will say that I enjoyed being in a more active neighborhood as well. Earlewood Park now has the dog park, and lots of folks out playing kickball and frisbee golf. I think you'd enjoy it a lot if you like the urban lifestyle but don't want to give up living in a single-family home.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:07 AM

90 posts, read 172,115 times
If I had to choose between here and Raleigh, I'd pick Raleigh in a heartbeat. More diverse & progressive than SC, better roads, RTP, proximity to several universities, more aesthetically pleasing areas, more sporting events (they can host NCAA postseason events!). If you have any specific questions about the Raleigh area, feel free to ask!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:53 AM

Well i'm 29 years old and the fiance is 26. So we are pretty young. She used to live in Stadium suites (I did too my Junior/Senior College year). I was a hermit back then and didn't go out much but she loved living downtown and misses it too. We absolutely love gamecock gameday and I will spend the day downtown for that. We've been to finlay park for bands and such (but the bums hanging in the park is a little creepy...). River tubing, enjoy the zoo, have walked the river a fee times (it's pretty!). Really want to check out more college baseball games but never motivated to do so. Problem is by the time we get home it's 6-7 easily. We got weekends off though so we'll travel around.

I'm not sold on main street yet, there's not much that I care for (overpriced mast general store, random quirky shops, jewelry, and mostly business places). But lunch is delicious downtown (greek boys!).

5 points is freaky now-a-days especially with the violence and that i'm older... vista is pretty fun walking around and they have some interesting stores and restaurants to check out. We wouldn't be out on the bar scene too much unless friends come by.

Also those townhomes by the river, i see the three rivers greenway is by it, which I would like to enjoy.

mjpayne44 I know about the "more aesthetically pleasing" you speak of. They are doing a good job on main street but there's not too much beauty elsewhere. Pretty much the worse roads ever are here, i've been to NC, VA, MD a lot and man does MD have beauty and the most quiet roads ever. I'd definitely have to visit Raleigh and check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area