Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 07:40 AM

91 posts, read 135,871 times

Advertisements

Restaurant week is also going on if people are looking to try out some of these places with a reasonably priced prix fixe. Most are in the $20-$35 range per person, and typically include an appetizer, entree and dessert.

South Carolina Restaurant Week | SCRLA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 03:54 PM

12,902 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Columbia's foodie scene catches attention of journalist from none other than Charleston's Post and Courier

Gallery: A taste of Columbia - Post and Courier

The journalist must be getting Charleston residents prepared to make the trek inland.

Short staffing endangers Charleston restaurants - Post and Courier

(Just kidding!)

Old 07-08-2014, 08:51 PM

What has gotten into the Charlestonians?

Columbia offers a plethora of culinary diversions for visitors from the Lowcountry - Post and Courier

Old 07-08-2014, 10:54 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
We don't have an inferiority complex....

Old 07-09-2014, 06:09 AM

Note the two (first two as of this typing) comments after the above culinary plethora article. Typical.

Anyway, the food writer has some impressive credentials.
http://www.postandcourier.com/apps/p...sonalia?ID=184

The following is the dialogue between her and me via email.
Me: Hi. Did you find any of Columbia's restaurants to be short-staffed and in crisis? (Reference her article above on Charleston's crossroads in the food industry.)
Her: Since I was working in a reviewing capacity, I didn't have a chance to talk to restaurateurs up there. But I spoke with Steve Palmer for the staffing story, and he didn't indicate the situation was much better at Oak Table. The difference here is that Charleston has a long history of hospitality to uphold (as much as I enjoyed my trip to Columbia, the service I experienced was fairly lackadaisical compared to our local standard), and an economic reliance on its future. So long as Columbia can hang on to the university and state capital, the fate of its restaurant industry is probably less pressing.
Me: Thank you for your response and your thoughts. As a Columbia resident for 30 years, I can say that this community is no longer allowing the powers that be nor the business community, including restaurants, to rest on the three-legged stool (state government, USC and Fort Jackson) for this city's success. The growing techie and arts crowd here are very demanding, and this is a city full of determined residents. Stay tuned, and by all means come again.
Her: Right: I witnessed all of that growth during my short stay. And fair point on the "three-legged stool." I suppose what really struck me was the diversification of the economy. It sounds like you keep up with Columbia. If anything's ever happening up that way of which I or my readers should be aware, please don't hesitate to write.

Cool.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 07-09-2014 at 06:35 AM..

Old 07-10-2014, 10:19 PM

730 posts, read 1,401,907 times
Had lunch at Za's Pizza the other day. Downright disappointed. Pizza was bland, the crust was soggy in the middle, and maybe 5 or 6 banana peppers total on it. Not worth the price or drive for sure. On the other hand, I went and tried J Gumbo's on recommendation and was quite pleased. I'm sure their location is great for lunch crowd since lots of state, banking, and hospital jobs are within a few blocks. Not a huge Cajun fan, but this had great flavor.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:54 PM

678 posts, read 799,728 times
Za's was all right when I had it. Not blown away by any means, sort of uninspired but not bad. I did not care for schianos in forest acres , though, again, pizza is kind of like sex, even when it's bad it's good. Al Amir surprisingly has great pizza though!

Old 07-15-2014, 06:07 AM

Try El Giorgione (I think that's how to spell it.) on Devine Street. It's next to the former Dianne's.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:42 AM

611 posts, read 921,028 times
If you ever need a reason to make the trek out to Irmo, Noah's Antica Pizzeria is fantastic and worth the trip.

Noah's Antica Pizzaria - 7719 St Andrews Rd Irmo, SC 29063

Old 07-15-2014, 07:41 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,031,420 times
Il Giorgione is fantastic. Often full at dinner time, so make a reservation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area