U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 07:26 AM

25,945 posts, read 22,607,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I found it interesting that someone in his position would say what he said. That's what I meant when I said he said a lot about where Columbia is and where he hopes it's going. Personally, I feel that until the riverfront is complete and offers what a river should offer in terms of a city's quality of life, Columbia will be perceived as a city that lags in comparison to cities that have done a beautiful job in connecting their downtowns to their natural resources. When that connectivity is completed, Columbia will truly blossom into a place with a more intense presence of pedestrians all over the downtown area. But I said that, personally, I got tired of waiting.
I agree that fully developing the riverfront recreationally is a hindrance, but even more so, I think that Columbia doesn't really tout all of its advantages as it should. I recall that when the Mast General officials were checking Columbia out, they noted that the city really has more to offer than meets the eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 07:39 AM

9,354 posts, read 12,628,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree that fully developing the riverfront recreationally is a hindrance, but even more so, I think that Columbia doesn't really tout all of its advantages as it should. I recall that when the Mast General officials were checking Columbia out, they noted that the city really has more to offer than meets the eye.
I agree, but there are things that, when done, remove all doubt about whether a city has a lively downtown vibe because it LOOKS like a place people just HAVE to be. When people are walking on the greenway between Gervais and Granby Park some day and looking up the hill to a fully connected downtown, they will just HAVE to be there.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:49 AM

25,945 posts, read 22,607,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I agree, but there are things that, when done, remove all doubt about whether a city has a lively downtown vibe because it LOOKS like a place people just HAVE to be. When people are walking on the greenway between Gervais and Granby Park some day and looking up the hill to a fully connected downtown, they will just HAVE to be there.
Agreed. Columbia's downtown footprint is just so large that making the critical connections can be a challenge, but it's good that progress is being made--even if it took longer than usual.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:27 AM

1,691 posts, read 1,325,935 times
I take issue with the assertion that quality of life is a big attraction for large manufacturers. Interstate access, port access, workforce, and business climate are what matters. Quality of life is the cherry on top. When BMW came to the Upstate, Greenville was still fighting to remake itself after the collapse of the textile industry. Volvo was very specific in what it wanted (interstate access and within a certain distance of a port) and that narrowed the search down to Charleston and Savannah.

Quality of life does attract start-ups, white-collar jobs, and the tech industry. Austin is a good example of that.

With that said, touting Columbia's QOL and connecting the downtown to the river will have a tremendous impact. For starters, it will keep more college grads here which will lead to more jobs which will attract even more people. I am tired of waiting, too, but I am more hopeful than ever that what should happen will happen and may, in fact, be happening.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:19 AM

9,354 posts, read 12,628,740 times
Contiguity makes the difference.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:53 AM

6,451 posts, read 13,306,046 times
Making Assembly Street less daunting to cross is the key.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:09 AM

5,533 posts, read 8,399,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Agreed. Columbia's downtown footprint is just so large that making the critical connections can be a challenge, but it's good that progress is being made--even if it took longer than usual.

This is part of what frustrates me with Columbia's economic development "strategy". The Vista, Five Points, Cola Commons, Downtown.. This a HUGE area to considered for "redevelopment" and then we set about trying to develop it all at once. Incentives for "student housing" as opposed to all sectors doesn't help either....It seems that Economic Development is driven strictly by politicos and not by planners or economic development folks.. Politicos have to be involved.. but rather than simply set the vision and let the planners work.. they get on the planners backs and ride them to a predetermined or preferable outcome based on whatever the politico's interests are.. This goes for large special interest groups..*ahem* Shadow Government Institutions of Higher Learning as well. Just because a politico says its good for the City doesn't mean that it is.....

Old 02-02-2016, 11:45 AM

5,533 posts, read 8,399,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpretori View Post
You have got to be KIDDING me?!

Stadium noise study comes under fire | The State

Ban on fireworks?!

I guess where I am confused on is.. when was this study commissioned? Why is a noise study being conducted well after the stadium is nearly built.. Shouldn't this have been done BEFORE the decision was made to build it? I haven't been following the actual programming but how many games and events do they plan to have a year? I can see where people would get concerned especially if/when the site becomes more popular and used. Fireworks would seem to be the least of their concerns... This isn't Disneyland or anything so I cant imagine Fourth of July Firework displays on a large scale here during every home game...The dogs in Cottontown or the nervous Drug Dealer on Read St may have a fit though.........

Old 02-02-2016, 11:48 AM

642 posts, read 531,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Making Assembly Street less daunting to cross is the key.
Very true. I know in reality this is probably overkill, but If I were made king of columbia, first thing I would do is put underground tunnels to cross all directions assembly at gervais and also to cross all directions huger at gervais.

Then again I'd also make gervais two lanes between huger and assembly so maybe the tunnels wouldn't be needed to cross gervais after all.

Aesthetically gervais as a two lane street in vista would just be nice not to mention making it easier to cross.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:49 AM

2,682 posts, read 916,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I guess where I am confused on is.. when was this study commissioned? Why is a noise study being conducted well after the stadium is nearly built.. Shouldn't this have been done BEFORE the decision was made to build it? I haven't been following the actual programming but how many games and events do they plan to have a year? I can see where people would get concerned especially if/when the site becomes more popular and used. Fireworks would seem to be the least of their concerns... This isn't Disneyland or anything so I cant imagine Fourth of July Firework displays on a large scale here during every home game...The dogs in Cottontown or the nervous Drug Dealer on Read St may have a fit though.........
i know right and fireworks don't even last that long and i dont think there will be many. They even want to ban concerts it looks like LOL

Here is the study:

http://www.columbiasc.net/depts/city...dy_update_.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or