U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 12:08 PM

3,679 posts, read 1,415,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Which is only the first phase. This is a multiphase development that will stretch out over several years.
Can you share a link?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 12:46 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,269,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Can you share a link?
You can look it up yourself it's public domain…the current 50 acres under contract is $350 million in development.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
You can look it up yourself it's public domain…
Don't see it. So must not be.

"Bull Street developer Bob Hughes said he has contracts to develop 50 acres at the old S.C. State Hospital, with the total investment reaching $350 million." That's from Thestate, Don't know where yall are seeing the 1,000,0000,000 total investment.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:55 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,269,495 times
Quote:
Don't see it. So must not be.

"Bull Street developer Bob Hughes said he has contracts to develop 50 acres at the old S.C. State Hospital, with the total investment reaching $350 million." That's from Thestate, Don't know where yall are seeing the 1,000,0000,000 total investment.
You just caught yourself the current 50 acres of 165 do the math. The original numbers have the development at $1 billion. There's 19 more years to go and so much more to do. It's a $1 billion development give or a talk $100 million at most. The first phase is only $350 million.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
You just caught yourself the current 50 acres of 165 do the math. The original numbers have the development at $1 billion. There's 19 more years to go and so much more to do. It's a $1 billion development give or a talk $100 million at most. The first phase is only $350 million.
That's all the phases combined so far.Where is the link with the $1,000,000,000 in investment? I keep asking and nobody can show me.

That number encompasses the following:

Underway
An 8,000-seat, $37 million minor league baseball park
A 143,000-square-foot office and retail building
Renovation of the historic bakery into a workplace sharing space
Pending

Construction of roads and other infrastructure work around the stadium to Calhoun Street
An 800-space, city-funded parking garage
Proposed

A retail center with up to 60 stores
Renovation of the Babcock Building into apartments
A student housing project
Converting Byrnes Hospital into “workforce” apartments
A townhouse development along Calhoun Street

Read more here: EXCLUSIVE: Bull Street project may include apartments, student housing | The State

Old 02-19-2016, 01:49 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Quote:
That's all the phases combined so far.Where is the link with the $1,000,000,000 in investment? I keep asking and nobody can show me.

That number encompasses the following:

Underway
An 8,000-seat, $37 million minor league baseball park
A 143,000-square-foot office and retail building
Renovation of the historic bakery into a workplace sharing space
Pending

Construction of roads and other infrastructure work around the stadium to Calhoun Street
An 800-space, city-funded parking garage
Proposed

A retail center with up to 60 stores
Renovation of the Babcock Building into apartments
A student housing project
Converting Byrnes Hospital into “workforce” apartments
A townhouse development along Calhoun Street

Read more here: EXCLUSIVE: Bull Street project may include apartments, student housing | The State
Yes and this is all that has been proposed so far--the first phase.

Now to be fair, the $1 billion figure is for estimated economic impact as opposed to the amount actually invested in the project, but $1 billion will come pretty close to the final number. If the first phase of the project, representing almost 1/3 of the campus, will cost $350 million, then it's certainly reasonable to expect the remainder of the campus to approach $1 billion in investment.

Economic study predicts Bull Street billions | The State

Old 02-19-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yes and this is all that has been proposed so far--the first phase.

Now to be fair, the $1 billion figure is for estimated economic impact as opposed to the amount actually invested in the project, but $1 billion will come pretty close to the final number. If the first phase of the project, representing almost 1/3 of the campus, will cost $350 million, then it's certainly reasonable to expect the remainder of the campus to approach $1 billion in investment.

Economic study predicts Bull Street billions | The State
That's a good read about the potential impacts of the development. Yea, the highest number ive seen so far was 350 million. Maybe more investment comes and bumps that up to 1 billion!

I also have good news to report! Don Tomlins towers are still a go. They are also moving their HQ across from the Lady Street Garage. Let's pray the vista allows all this to go through

Old 02-20-2016, 05:48 AM

36 posts, read 32,616 times
Quote:
That's a good read about the potential impacts of the development. Yea, the highest number ive seen so far was 350 million. Maybe more investment comes and bumps that up to 1 billion!

I also have good news to report! Don Tomlins towers are still a go. They are also moving their HQ across from the Lady Street Garage. Let's pray the vista allows all this to go through
I have been searching for news on Don Tomlin's tower at Lady and Assembly for months! What else have you heard, and have you seen renderings? I wish someone could post the renderings. A friend of mine who works in the BB&T building saw them once, when the developer was speaking about the shared parking, but they have apparently been well guarded from the public.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola Knows Best View Post
I have been searching for news on Don Tomlin's tower at Lady and Assembly for months! What else have you heard, and have you seen renderings? I wish someone could post the renderings. A friend of mine who works in the BB&T building saw them once, when the developer was speaking about the shared parking, but they have apparently been well guarded from the public.
I have not. Last update i got was the renderings are being tweaked a bit. I hope they get started soon on this!

Old 02-22-2016, 04:12 AM

1,550 posts, read 1,433,026 times
So, I just got back from some late night/early morning driving around Columbia. The object of my almost aimless driving is to discover areas that I've never been before. If a street looks unfamiliar, I turn down it. The sketchier the area, the more apt I am to drive down it. Anyways, a few observations:

Some of the houses directly behind 5 points from Harden street are not as ghetto as you might think. I saw several well kept houses (and looked to be recently renovated) off of Walnut or Pine street, cant remember which one. Although, from driving down Harden street, there are a few houses that look as though they could be condemned. But behind those houses you might be pleasantly surprised by several homes.

I ventured down Flora street and E. Broadway street, which are bound by Assembly street and railroad tracks. E. Broadway street is a pretty bumpy, gravely road. It always amazes me the amount of land located off of E Broadway street and the fact that vacant industrial buildings sit idle in a prime location. I believe someone mentioned in another thread that SCE&G own this land. It's really unbelievable to think that you're in downtown Columbia while driving down these roads, because it seems as if you're in a southeastern version of Chernobyl, post melt-down. I hope something will be done with this land one day rather than sit idle.

The apartments off of Blossom street/Pulaski street look awesome. I love what they did with the parking underneath the Blossom street bridge. It looks super urban and big city, IMO. By the way, what's the name of these apartments? All of these student housing developments are so close together, I get them confused. Is it a part of the unfinished development off of Huger and Blossom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or