U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-03-2013, 08:45 PM

7,113 posts, read 5,457,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But like I said, the metro designations have only very recently changed and it's really only us urban stats geeks/nerds who are really aware of the changes. I give them some leeway because of that.
I cut some slack, too, but if you're going to go around writing about cities, at least keep abreast of the latest info the urban geeks keep up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 05:42 AM

844 posts, read 997,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
When are the apartments starting construction? I thought the ones at Huger/Blossom would have already started site work. But, they were still parking cars there for the game.
The plan is to begin construction in the fall. Like all large projects there could be delays.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:36 PM

10,708 posts, read 6,381,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I cut some slack, too, but if you're going to go around writing about cities, at least keep abreast of the latest info the urban geeks keep up with.
But that wasn't the focus of the article, especially since the updated MSA/CSA designations haven't been featured in any major news outlets (that I know of). It's really not a big deal--at this point anyway.

Now had they said that Columbia is home to the state's sole Fortune 500 company, as The State still says, then I'd have no slack to cut them since that information is woefully outdated.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:26 PM

170 posts, read 122,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
The new Darla Moore School of Business by itself is $106.5 million by itself and then you add the new Hyatt on Gervais, the apartments on Pulaski at College, the apartments on Huger at Blossom and other projects and you're probably approaching $200 million.

Don't forget the USC Alumni Assoc office, that's a $28 million project I believe.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:03 PM

131 posts, read 84,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
The plan is to begin construction in the fall. Like all large projects there could be delays.
Monarch Ventures closed on the property a few weeks ago and said they would start construction shortly thereafter. They said that the dorm should be completed by August 2014.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:13 PM

4,919 posts, read 8,257,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midland803 View Post
Don't forget the USC Alumni Assoc office, that's a $28 million project I believe.
That's right, I forgot about that.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:44 PM

2,823 posts, read 1,592,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midland803 View Post
I forgot about that project, it is much larger than I originally thought. When is the Hyatt starting construction?

Old 04-08-2013, 12:44 PM

7,113 posts, read 5,457,998 times
Columbia's Indie Grits Film Festival is on Southern Living's Hot List.

SL Hot List: Sunday Suppers, Dig South & Goat Cheese – The Daily South | Your Hub for Southern Culture

Old 04-08-2013, 01:08 PM

3,373 posts, read 4,274,307 times
Default Show me the Money

Should get interesting.... if the Hospitality Industry sues the City to prevent the acquisition of the building...At some point the property owner may say F#@k it and just tears it down rather than wait for the outcome of law suits and counter suits..........

COLUMBIA, SC: Group speaks out against city’s proposed purchase of historic Palmetto Compress building | Local News | The State

Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 PM

4,919 posts, read 8,257,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Should get interesting.... if the Hospitality Industry sues the City to prevent the acquisition of the building...At some point the property owner may say F#@k it and just tears it down rather than wait for the outcome of law suits and counter suits..........

COLUMBIA, SC: Group speaks out against city’s proposed purchase of historic Palmetto Compress building | Local News | The State
In reading the law it appears that historic preservation is a legal use for the fund.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area