Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2016, 03:48 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,031,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Speaking of the Free Times

http://www.free-times.com/restaurant...elmwood-030216

NOMA is starting to come into its own.. I think it will eventually be like Central Ave in Charlotte. I would like to see a few mixed use midrise (four or five story) apartment buildings rise on some of those former auto and vacant lots in order to put more bodies on the street and to better connect Cotton Town with Elmwood Park. This area is a diamond in the rough.. I would much rather see the city "incentivize" development in this area than some of the others. It could strengthen the northern end of town and provide a much needed connection with Eau Claire
I think the Bullstreet development will do wonders for this part of town (assuming, of course, it is the success we all hope it will be).

The streetscaping coupled with the existing business incentives at that development on North Main (I can't remember the actual name, but it's near the trestle, I think) show the city has its eye on this part of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 04:02 PM

12,902 posts, read 18,751,931 times
I'm bringing up some friends from Charleston to give them a tour of Columbia next week, and if I had to pick one thing that I hope they won't notice, it would be Columbia's "missing front teeth" (the crater known as Gervais and Assembly). When Columbia fixes that, whether it's with heavily landscaped parking, attractive parking garages, buildings that go nicely with the existing buildings on that block, or however they want to do it, a major step will have been taken to bring downtown all together, even before they touch Assembly Street in the form of streetscaping. Charleston isn't without its own craters (empty corner lots) and development mishaps, but they aren't in the very heart of downtown.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:38 PM

678 posts, read 799,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I'm bringing up some friends from Charleston to give them a tour of Columbia next week, and if I had to pick one thing that I hope they won't notice, it would be Columbia's "missing front teeth" (the crater known as Gervais and Assembly). When Columbia fixes that, whether it's with heavily landscaped parking, attractive parking garages, buildings that go nicely with the existing buildings on that block, or however they want to do it, a major step will have been taken to bring downtown all together, even before they touch Assembly Street in the form of streetscaping. Charleston isn't without its own craters (empty corner lots) and development mishaps, but they aren't in the very heart of downtown.
Wait wait... Can you say Forever 21? There's a crater right there. Just saying. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh I admit.

I do hope our own craters can get filled in asap.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
Wait wait... Can you say Forever 21? There's a crater right there. Just saying. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh I admit.

I do hope our own craters can get filled in asap.
I don't understand what you mean.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I don't understand what you mean.
I was halfway trying to be tongue-in-cheek but failed. Some may consider forever 21 a crater due to having such a store in such a large, prominent position in downtown charleston. But I guess that's also the pot calling the kettle black coming from a columbia is resident.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:50 PM

54 posts, read 147,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
I was halfway trying to be tongue-in-cheek but failed. Some may consider forever 21 a crater due to having such a store in such a large, prominent position in downtown charleston. But I guess that's also the pot calling the kettle black coming from a columbia is resident.
Yeah really especially since that space was previously a Saks Fifth Avenue. Forever 21 is a major down grade for that location.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:16 PM

Whatever is in a building, I was talking about structures or heavy landscaping in place of asphalt.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:39 AM

USC needs to fix this fast. This could be potentially devastating to the school.

USC Program Has Campus in Crisis - The Nerve

Old 03-10-2016, 09:58 AM

8,236 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
I think the Bullstreet development will do wonders for this part of town (assuming, of course, it is the success we all hope it will be).

The streetscaping coupled with the existing business incentives at that development on North Main (I can't remember the actual name, but it's near the trestle, I think) show the city has its eye on this part of town.

I hope you are right.. but it seems like they may be competing with one another.. at least in terms of developer interest. If I were a developer.. I may be lured more to Bull Street Commons because of all the City investment/subsidy and less towards North Main. What has happened thus far on North Main has been vary organic with businesses moving in and retrofitting existing buildings to fit their needs. Once they are all filled up new construction will be in order and if it is to have retail, restaurant or even "gallery" space in it.. they will likely need residential above to help off set cost and to build in additional customers. But if developers are running over to Bull Street Commons they may have less interest in pursuing ventures on North Main.. I think it will still grow.. but slower and may not "take off" until after Bull Street fills in and they get the spill over. Either way it will happen.. its a question of "when" than "if"

Old 03-10-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
USC needs to fix this fast. This could be potentially devastating to the school.

USC Program Has Campus in Crisis - The Nerve
Wow. What a mess. I work in the accounting field and have heard stories like this many many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area