U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2016, 05:42 PM

9,606 posts, read 13,720,457 times

Advertisements

I just got home from giving my co-worker from Kentucky a tour of her new capital city. She said several times during our visit that she was impressed. She said it very clean. I told her about the Downtown Clean Team. She said the landscaping was very nice. I told her about Columbia's being the state's first Tree City USA city - 34 years and counting and forever planting more trees. About that time a city truck pulling a trailer full of trees to be planted drove by. She commented on the hills and views. I told her I miss that aspect of being in Columbia on a day-in and day-out basis. She mentioned the buildings that are rising all over the downtown. I couldn't help but mention that I wish Columbia would quit building cement parking garages that are visible from the street as I pointed to the monstrosity attached to the north side of the apartment building under construction at Gervais and Harden. She was impressed with Lake Murray. She thought Five Points was artsy-looking. She fell in love with Elmwood Park immediately and raved about it. She commented that she liked the openness of the downtown as opposed to downtown Charleston's density. And she noted the ease of the traffic flow compared to Charleston's. She loved the layout and the buildings. She loved the five views of the skyline I showed her. On the way home she said the only thing Columbia is missing is Folly Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 10:46 AM

"She mentioned the buildings that are rising all over the downtown. I couldn't help but mention that I wish Columbia would quit building cement parking garages that are visible from the street as I pointed to the monstrosity attached to the north side of the apartment building under construction at Gervais and Harden."

I looked up the renderings hoping the plan was to hide the cement horizontal-ness that will the the dominant feature as one drives down Harden Street from the end that we all know isn't as affluent as the other end; but nope, once again a parking garage that looks like a bland, ugly parking garage will be highly visible as part of the texture of Columbia's urban landscape. It happened with the apartments off of Greene Street down from Colonial Life Arena, too, next to where the railroad bridge will be replaced. You can see the ugly horizontal aesthetic of the parking garage attached to those apartments from a couple of blocks away. I think even Houston has quit doing this.

http://www.columbiasc.gov/depts/plan...ivate_dorm.pdf

Old 03-15-2016, 11:09 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,499,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
"She mentioned the buildings that are rising all over the downtown. I couldn't help but mention that I wish Columbia would quit building cement parking garages that are visible from the street as I pointed to the monstrosity attached to the north side of the apartment building under construction at Gervais and Harden."

I looked up the renderings hoping the plan was to hide the cement horizontal-ness that will the the dominant feature as one drives down Harden Street from the end that we all know isn't as affluent as the other end; but nope, once again a parking garage that looks like a bland, ugly parking garage will be highly visible as part of the texture of Columbia's urban landscape. It happened with the apartments off of Greene Street down from Colonial Life Arena, too, next to where the railroad bridge will be replaced. You can see the ugly horizontal aesthetic of the parking garage attached to those apartments from a couple of blocks away. I think even Houston has quit doing this.

But can't we agree that what is going up at that location is a radical improvement from what was there, which was an abandoned, overgrown, and litter-strewn lot? I agree with your point in the abstract, but we shouldn't look too deeply into the mouth of a gift horse. At least the parking garage does not face Harden or Gervais.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
But can't we agree that what is going up at that location is a radical improvement from what was there, which was an abandoned, overgrown, and litter-strewn lot? I agree with your point in the abstract, but we shouldn't look too deeply into the mouth of a gift horse. At least the parking garage does not face Harden or Gervais.
Absolutely, but I was never one to settle for something being better than what was there before. There is no reason parking garages can't be built for aesthetics or hidden in the interior.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:18 AM

109 posts, read 109,632 times
Quote:

Fair point about the garage, but if anything is built on Harden next to the new apartment complex you will not be able to see most of the garage from the street. I think a lot of buildings of that size would run into the same problem with an empty lot / parking lot next to it. Just makes it another goal to fill in lots such as that.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd803 View Post
Fair point about the garage, but if anything is built on Harden next to the new apartment complex you will not be able to see most of the garage from the street. I think a lot of buildings of that size would run into the same problem with an empty lot / parking lot next to it. Just makes it another goal to fill in lots such as that.
Good point. I was trying to remember about any adjacent lots, but then if there's a street there, when you drive or walk on that street there's still the ugliness of the garage, and the trees the renderings show planted along there don't appear to be large. Big oaks would make a difference.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:19 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,499,125 times
Quote:
Absolutely, but I was never one to settle for something being better than what was there before. There is no reason parking garages can't be built for aesthetics or hidden in the interior.
Trust me, I don't disagree with you, but that intersection was so bad, I felt it warranted an exception to that rule. Although I don't love the sight of a parking garage, they are very much preferable to a surface parking lot. The Station at Five Points is a sizable building, sits on a hill, and, in my opinion, makes a very positive addition to the cityscape from multiple vantage points in the Five Points/Shandon/Wales Garden area.

I'll hold my nose and accept the parking garage for now. Fingers crossed there is more infill in that area soon. Upper Five Points seems to be on an upswing lately and I am very happy to see it.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:31 PM

109 posts, read 109,632 times
Quote:
Good point. I was trying to remember about any adjacent lots, but then if there's a street there, when you drive or walk on that street there's still the ugliness of the garage, and the trees the renderings show planted along there don't appear to be large. Big oaks would make a difference.
Yeah it's the start of the surface parking lot for the County services building (Voter registration, car taxes, etc) but could be utilized in the future. It does look a bit out of place right now, but I hope the finished project blend after they get the paint on some of it.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:24 PM

I'll have to say I have always thought of insurance as boring. I know everyone needs it, but the details of it are hard for me to wrap my mind around and be interested in. Millennials apparently feel the same way. To entice more millennials to stick around and work in Columbia, area leaders could collaborate with the local insurance industry to come up with rhetoric that's sexier than any insurance talk I've ever heard.

Insurance Industry Is Hiring But Millennials Don't Seem To Be Interested : NPR

Old 03-16-2016, 09:56 AM

665 posts, read 602,180 times
Quote:
I'll have to say I have always thought of insurance as boring. I know everyone needs it, but the details of it are hard for me to wrap my mind around and be interested in. Millennials apparently feel the same way. To entice more millennials to stick around and work in Columbia, area leaders could collaborate with the local insurance industry to come up with rhetoric that's sexier than any insurance talk I've ever heard.

Insurance Industry Is Hiring But Millennials Don't Seem To Be Interested : NPR
Insurance can be boring, but there's a piece of it that in my opinion is most certainly not and that's in the actuarial/data science piece. The problem is to be quite frank it takes a lot of time to get good at this sort of thing. But it's interesting because it's like a puzzle to solve. For a simple example, I used to work at an insurance analytics firm/start up headquartered in Columbia, and one thing they found through their analysis is that, while teenage drivers are in fact riskier than other drivers, there is a segment of teenage drivers that aren't actually riskier (im simplifying somewhat). And that segment is teenage drivers who drive new cars. We would sell that sort of analytical capability to property and casualty insurance companies.

So in some respects in certain areas of insurance you're trying to figure out the world from a risk perspective and that can be intersting and you can come across some interesting things. Now being a claims processor, yes, that can be boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or