U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 10:23 AM

666 posts, read 605,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I agree with this assessment and is also why I think there have been missed opportunities for Columbia.

When they saw Charlotte beginning to suck the finance sector away from Columbia, leaders should have tried to fill that gap with other economic development strategies just like The Upstate did with the exodus of the Textile Industry.

One thing Columbia needs to capitalize on more is its location. If a company is doing business statewide, their SC or Regional HQs need to be located in Columbia. From a perspective of logistics, to sales territories, and other benefits, Columbia connects you with all areas of the state by putting you in one of the top population centers, and within an hour and a half drive from the other two along with the rest of the state.
We also need to capitalize on the fact that we have a decent flagship state university to go along with a decent sized metro (more than just a college town like Athens or Gainesville).

No other city in this state can offer that right in their downtown district. And Charlotte can't either.

With some luck and perseverance we can become like a mini Raleigh or a mini Austin with our own unique characteristics.

Last edited by Bouje2; 03-24-2016 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 10:34 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,507,890 times
Quote:
I agree with this assessment and is also why I think there have been missed opportunities for Columbia.

When they saw Charlotte beginning to suck the finance sector away from Columbia, leaders should have tried to fill that gap with other economic development strategies just like The Upstate did with the exodus of the Textile Industry.

One thing Columbia needs to capitalize on more is its location. If a company is doing business statewide, their SC or Regional HQs need to be located in Columbia. From a perspective of logistics, to sales territories, and other benefits, Columbia connects you with all areas of the state by putting you in one of the top population centers, and within an hour and a half drive from the other two along with the rest of the state.
I agree to an extent, but it is more complicated than just "leaders filling the gap with other economic opportunities." The Upstate's recovery from the collapse of textiles would not have happened had Gov. Carroll Campbell not lured BMW to his home region. Had BMW come to Columbia instead of the Upstate, the Upstate would have had a much harder row to hoe to pick itself back up, whereas Columbia had other industries (government, military, insurance, law) to soften the blow of losing so much banking to Charlotte. That probably did allow us to be more complacent than we should have been.

In the last 1-2 decades Columbia has capitalized on our location to an extent by luring UPS as a hub at CAE and the Amazon fulfillment center to Cayce. We've played to our strengths in insurance and IT and now have Aflac, Unum/Colonial Life, Accenture, CGI, and CSC doing this type of work in the region. We also landed Nephron, which to my knowledge, is a novel addition to our state's economy.

This is not to say we don't have work to do here in the Midlands. We undoubtedly do, but we can't just wave a magic wand and make these things happen. We have to play to our strengths and also have some good luck and "right place at the right time" serendipity come together. Even without a major new employer coming to the region, we've been able to do some really great things around here. Richland County seems to finally have its act together on economic development, so we have reason to be hopeful.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:42 AM

9,631 posts, read 13,780,229 times
I believe visitors to Columbia could be more WOWED with heavier landscaping with flowers and ornamental shrubs. The tree-scape is fine, but there are many flower beds that need lots more flowers and better, more constant weeding, including on Main Street. WOWED visitors are more likely to turn into residents.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:13 PM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
There have certainly been some good wins in the Midlands, but there could have been far more and Columbia could be much further along today with more cooperation.

What exactly are you referring to when you mean balance of power and historic makeup of the economies?
By balance of power, I mean that historically, SC has been politically dominated by Lowcountry and Upcountry interests; Columbia was created to be the seat of government and lawmakers have not truly treated it as an economic engine of the state in its own right. When I speak of the historic makeup of the economies of the Lowcountry and Upstate, I'm referring to industries like manufacturing, the port, and tourism--industries which the state has given preference to. Columbia has more of a white-collar, office-based economy that hasn't been treated with much priority in terms of statewide eco-devo strategies. This is why I think the whole "lack of cooperation" thing doesn't mean much and truthfully, a lot of folks in other metro areas with very high levels of balkanization and sometimes outright hostility would laugh when people say there's a lack of cooperation in the Midlands.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:20 PM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
I agree to an extent, but it is more complicated than just "leaders filling the gap with other economic opportunities." The Upstate's recovery from the collapse of textiles would not have happened had Gov. Carroll Campbell not lured BMW to his home region. Had BMW come to Columbia instead of the Upstate, the Upstate would have had a much harder row to hoe to pick itself back up, whereas Columbia had other industries (government, military, insurance, law) to soften the blow of losing so much banking to Charlotte. That probably did allow us to be more complacent than we should have been.

In the last 1-2 decades Columbia has capitalized on our location to an extent by luring UPS as a hub at CAE and the Amazon fulfillment center to Cayce. We've played to our strengths in insurance and IT and now have Aflac, Unum/Colonial Life, Accenture, CGI, and CSC doing this type of work in the region. We also landed Nephron, which to my knowledge, is a novel addition to our state's economy.

This is not to say we don't have work to do here in the Midlands. We undoubtedly do, but we can't just wave a magic wand and make these things happen. We have to play to our strengths and also have some good luck and "right place at the right time" serendipity come together. Even without a major new employer coming to the region, we've been able to do some really great things around here. Richland County seems to finally have its act together on economic development, so we have reason to be hopeful.
Completely agreed. And I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but it doesn't help that SC's primary economic development strategy is largely focused on industries that are Charleston's and Greenville's strong suits. Most of the back office, white-collar operations that are coming to SC are being lured from just across the NC border with promises of generous incentives and tax breaks while those companies still have access to their Charlotte-area workforce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I believe visitors to Columbia could be more WOWED with heavier landscaping with flowers and ornamental shrubs. The tree-scape is fine, but there are many flower beds that need lots more flowers and better, more constant weeding, including on Main Street. WOWED visitors are more likely to turn into residents.
The city has done a lot better in recent years, but there are still opportunities for improvement on this front.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:17 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,878,001 times
Quote:
So while this immature third grade pissing contest is taking place, Greenville and Spartanburg (two stand alone cities with vastly different views, much further apart and have a fierce rivalry with one another)
I know this is a little off topic, but...since when? They are not rivals. GSP has always operated like twin cities more than "fierce rivals." The airport is shared, BMW is shared, media is shared, a tourism board is shared, even the city of Greer is shared. They don't share an MSA, but they might as well and probably eventually will considering their suburbs are sprawling even closer together. And both cities are only 20-30 minutes apart (closer if using the suburbs).

The views of the cities are not "vastly different" either. The whole Upstate is generally culturally homogeneous. Sure the citizens may not think completely the same, but no views are "vastly opposite."

Both cities have just grown in different directions with different focuses. Greenville has grown into the undisputed hub of the Upstate, but Spartanburg is not grudgingly jealous, they are doing well for themselves and have shared in progress.

If you're going to use two cities to further your argument, use two that actually hate each other. The Upstate doesn't share this mindset.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:02 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,429,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I know this is a little off topic, but...since when? They are not rivals. GSP has always operated like twin cities more than "fierce rivals." The airport is shared, BMW is shared, media is shared, a tourism board is shared, even the city of Greer is shared. They don't share an MSA, but they might as well and probably eventually will considering their suburbs are sprawling even closer together. And both cities are only 20-30 minutes apart (closer if using the suburbs).

The views of the cities are not "vastly different" either. The whole Upstate is generally culturally homogeneous. Sure the citizens may not think completely the same, but no views are "vastly opposite."

Both cities have just grown in different directions with different focuses. Greenville has grown into the undisputed hub of the Upstate, but Spartanburg is not grudgingly jealous, they are doing well for themselves and have shared in progress.

If you're going to use two cities to further your argument, use two that actually hate each other. The Upstate doesn't share this mindset.
I've always heard that Spartanburgers didn't like Greenville as well, although I'll agree, they really aren't that much different. Not different like Lexington and the city of Columbia. But I've kind of understood that there was a little bit of resentment- maybe because Greenville is doing better overall as a city than Spartanburg. I have nothing to back that up though, just by hearsay.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:32 AM

6,177 posts, read 9,400,688 times
Quote:

This is interestingly true.. the big three cities seemed culturally and racially aligned with Spartanburg being nearly 50% African American and Anderson and Greenville hovering around 30% which shows more similarities that differences. Spartanburg and Greenville both have also done well with the their downtown Revitalization efforts.. Greenville has the edge because of the natural amenity in the Reedy River....

My hometown in the Midlands seems slightly more polarized between Lexington and Richland County ..culturally and to a small extent ..racially based on the demographics of who lives where....which may impact how 'governing' is done when it comes to regional cooperation

Old 04-04-2016, 09:54 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,516,621 times
Quote:

This is kind of my point, they share a lot and have able to accomplish a lot despite a rivalry between them (which having family who are old school Greenville and old school Spartanburg, I promise it exists).

The point is they have been able to put their differences aside when it comes to how they govern despite having a rivalry between them and how the old school folks there still view the other city.

Columbia and Lexington have not been able to accomplish this so I think it serves as a phenomenal comparison to what we are talking about and furthermore, a great example to the Midlands on how they should govern.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:06 AM

9,631 posts, read 13,780,229 times
Lots of Lexingtonians think the word "city" is an abomination. They voted to keep their "Town of Lexington" name years ago. Many of them love to let you know they have no reason to come to downtown Columbia. Throw in the political differences and the perception many of them have that the Richland side of the river is black and their side is white, and there you have it - a split metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or