U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 03:17 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,937,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
I don't think transvestites are part of the larger umbrella. A man can dress like a woman and still consider himself a man and identify as such. RuPaul is an example. He is a gay man who lives his life as a man, but dresses in character as a woman and became famous for his female persona. I don't think he has ever identified himself as transgendered, although he is a transvestite at times. Contrast that with Caitlyn Jenner, who came out as transgendered and said had always felt she was a woman born in a man's body. She now identifies as a woman and lives her life that way. That's a big distinction, even if it is ephemeral, intangible, and perhaps hard to grasp.

Also, transsexual is not the same as transgender. Transsexuals are people who were born with chromosomal abnormalities (such as XXY) and have genetic, physical differences (I think the historical term for this would be hermaphrodite, although I don't know if this term is now disfavored).
I see the point that you are making. I think that what you are demonstrating is how complex this issue is, and how difficult it is for people to understand it. Nevertheless, I really do think that you are mistaken. Transgender is an umbrella term that encompasses anyone who is gender variant. Really, it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 03:18 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,508,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
I see the point that you are making. I think that what you are demonstrating is how complex this issue is, and how difficult it is for people to understand it. Nevertheless, I really do think that you are mistaken. Transgender is an umbrella term that encompasses anyone who is gender variant. Really, it is.
We can agree to respectfully disagree

Old 04-11-2016, 03:24 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,937,372 times
Quote:
We can agree to respectfully disagree
True. And, maybe this conversation will make people more aware of this topic. I must now get back to work

Old 04-12-2016, 10:13 AM

224 posts, read 315,202 times
New bowling alley coming downtown mainstreet

Developers plan to bring a bowling alley to Columbia

Old 04-13-2016, 03:44 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,508,551 times
Columbia gets some great press in Travel + Leisure, which touts the city as a new "creative destination" and highlights the growing food scene and the various festivals.

Why It's Time to Visit Columbia, SC | Travel + Leisure

Old 04-13-2016, 04:14 PM

29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Columbia gets some great press in Travel + Leisure, which touts the city as a new "creative destination" and highlights the growing food scene and the various festivals.

This is great press and Indie Grits has really put the city on the map.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:04 PM

9,632 posts, read 13,786,436 times
And it's written by a Charleston writer.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:11 AM

667 posts, read 605,974 times
Quote:

Columbia really has slightly each year (say, over the last 15-20 years) become a more interesting place to live. And all those years are starting to add up into a very vibrant city. And just think, when we perhaps one day become known as the Austin (prob more like Austin/Raleigh hybrid) of the east coast, we'll have something neither of them could ever provide: Charleston only an hour-and-a-half away.

Also, with as much as we're building, I doubt we'll have any issues with housing affordability anytime soon.

Last edited by Bouje2; 04-14-2016 at 08:03 AM..

Old 04-14-2016, 07:31 AM

6,180 posts, read 9,407,850 times
Quote:

I don't know why Columbia doesn't do more to play up the "Soda City" Moniker... When people in DC asked me where I was from I say "Soda City aka Cola, SC"...and immediately Columbia goes from ... Where? Huh? oh Columbia, MARYLAND? Missouri? to being actually some unique place. Even if you merge it with our current slogan "Soda City.....Famously Hot.. but freshingly COOL". Without something like that.. we might as well be Fayetteville or even Greensboro...in terms of how other places view the us and we have quite a lot to offer...

Old 04-14-2016, 07:41 AM

8,791 posts, read 5,651,894 times
Columbia feels different to me since I first moved here in 1994. Back then, I really felt that watching the grass grow was the most entertaining thing about the place.

I really don't know if Columbia has vastly improved or if I have just slowed down enough that the town and I are more in sync, but I certainly enjoy it more now.

But from my view point, there are still a few things more needed. I think the town would be greatly improved with:
  • More communities linked by restricted bike paths.
  • More and better bike safe lanes in the streets. I really don't trust drivers at all.
  • To deal with the incredible heat, a large water park.
  • A large walking/restaurant/gaming development at the site of the old prison (on the canal).
  • Lastly, I would really like to see a climbing tower installed somewhere. A place where a person could climb a wall, or climb the stairs of a four story tower for exercise.
  • High speed inter-urban connections to Augusta, Charlotte, and Charleston, Greenville, and Myrtle Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or