U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2016, 07:56 AM

667 posts, read 606,956 times

Advertisements

USC, IBM open Center for Applied Innovation in Columbia | The State

IBM and Columbia, with its increasingly global flagship university, make a great match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 10:49 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,218,570 times
Greensboro is Columbia's sister city and has a Wet N Wild. I know the city could support one.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:52 AM

6,648 posts, read 14,178,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Greensboro is Columbia's sister city and has a Wet N Wild. I know the city could support one.
Isn't Richland County building a water park out in NE?

Old 04-16-2016, 08:10 PM

3,679 posts, read 1,416,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Isn't Richland County building a water park out in NE?
They are The project was approved, just got to get the funding right. apparently it's going to be a very sizable park.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:57 PM

9,635 posts, read 13,799,206 times
My spouse has been saying for two years that this was going to come home to roost in Columbia. He is quite intelligent and informed regarding such matters. It's a very interesting article.

https://nextcity.org/features/view/s...rdable-housing

Old 04-18-2016, 06:17 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,519,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
My spouse has been saying for two years that this was going to come home to roost in Columbia. He is quite intelligent and informed regarding such matters. It's a very interesting article.

https://nextcity.org/features/view/s...rdable-housing
This is why I have been so against student housing booms in Downtown Columbia. The difference here is that Columbia, unlike San Marcos, has more going on than just the college and Columbia's growth rate is not due to USC growing but rather many other factors. Columbia being a much larger city and USC being a bit smaller than the Texas State example create a fortunately better situation for Columbia, but also begs the question even more so as to why we are allowing college housing to dominate the landscape downtown when Columbia has an opportunity to do something better than just be a college town? San Marcos isnt really in that boat which is probably why this has not really been all that debated and almost swept under the rug there because they dont have the other chances that Columbia does at growth and development so a college housing boom seems like more of a positive there than not. Columbia, being a much larger city, state capital, military hub, and business hub, can do something much more downtown to cater to yo pros, young families, etc. rather than college kids which is always going to be more sustainable and positive growth.

Thanks for sharing this Data, this was a great read and hopefully a wake up call to some of those in Cola before its too late.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:56 PM

9,635 posts, read 13,799,206 times
I thought about the difference in size, but I noted that cities larger than Columbia were mentioned in the article. It seems to be a southern city thing. I have read about the student loan industry being on shaky ground. Where there are large universities and private developers swooping in and building lots of apartments for students who use student loans to live in them, there should be concern.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:02 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,519,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I thought about the difference in size, but I noted that cities larger than Columbia were mentioned in the article. It seems to be a southern city thing. I have read about the student loan industry being on shaky ground. Where there are large universities and private developers swooping in and building lots of apartments for students who use student loans to live in them, there should be concern.
Yeah that was something had never really crossed my mind but in that case, the student is the one who is out not the apartment complex since they will get their money before the student defaults on a loan but as far as student loans in general, yeah that poses a huge problem.

Also I think the size makes a big difference or at least it should, which again is why I cant figure out for the life of me why Columbia is doing what its doing. One comment on the story mentioned how without the students, developers dont have much of a market in San Marcos and while that may be an issue there, its certainly not an issue in Columbia with so many more people that can fill those apartments other than students.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:40 AM

6,648 posts, read 14,178,990 times
These buildings can easily be converted to traditional apartments and they will be if the student loan money dries up. I work in lending and I'm constantly aghast at the tens of thousands of dollars in debt that many students have when they graduate. It will be impossible for most of them to pay the loans back in their lifetimes as many are on "income-based" repayments that barely service the interest and don't amortize the principal at all.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:30 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,511,140 times
I read the article and it was an interesting read. It certainly offers some lessons for both Columbia and all Southern cities with student populations. However, I think Columbia's situation is different enough to make the comparison not completely direct. From the photos in the article, the San Marcos developments look like garden-style, suburban apartments whereas Columbia's are much more urban in nature. Columbia's biggest problem has been "gaps in the teeth" of its downtown core and lack of taxable real property. These developments help both of those issues. Like waccamatt said, they can easily be converted to market rate apartments in the future. Although I'm glad the boom in student housing has slowed here, I still believe it was a good thing that will add vibrancy and taxable property to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or