U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 12:25 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,298,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Driving back through downtown around 8:45 this morning on the way home from breakfast in Cayce (Yes, I spread the wealth a little bit sometimes.), my partner and I noted a new normal in early Sunday morning activity. People were milling about from the river all the way up Gervais Street and up Main from Gervais to Taylor, where we turned and headed home. People were walking their dogs, standing on street corners talking, walking down the street from their apartments, probably to breakfast or to get a newspaper, etc, etc. It felt so authentic. The downtown scene is becoming continually more vibrant.

It really is becoming more and more vibrant. Funny story... I was at the Crawfish festival this past weekend and came across a buddy of mine that recently moved to Asheville. One of his reasons for moving was because he was looking for more of a "happening city". Needless to say he was back down in Columbia this past weekend.

Upon my second visit to Canalside I was also pretty surprised at the amount of people exploring. Its difficult to see from the road so I was surprised and happy at the fact people in the area are exploring and experiencing what Columbia has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 03:38 AM

Despite all of the activity we've been seeing downtown lately, Mens Health Magazine ranks Columbia, SC as one of the top 100 laziest cities in the United States... I call it just being laid back, not lazy

Southern cities ranked among laziest in U.S.: magazine | Yahoo! Health

Old 05-15-2013, 06:23 AM

9,482 posts, read 13,196,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Despite all of the activity we've been seeing downtown lately, Mens Health Magazine ranks Columbia, SC as one of the top 100 laziest cities in the United States... I call it just being laid back, not lazy

I saw that and wondered if cities not on the list are even lazier or just too small to mention.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:22 AM

Yesterday as karma would have it, I saw an acquaintance just days after I wondered why I hadn't seen him in a good while. He said his job had transferred him to Charlotte, but that he hated it and asked for a transfer back here. I know this is anecdotal, but I just thought I would mention it. Different strokes for different folks, to be trite.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:26 PM

Was kindove wondering the same thing... Would love to have actually seen the list though.

Like I tell most of my friends that get the itch to move (and eventually do move), I tell them, "Oh, you'll be back". I know because my family did the same (Columbia-Greenville-Columbia) and I've seen so many people do it already.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:03 PM

290 posts, read 719,039 times
Quote:
Was kindove wondering the same thing... Would love to have actually seen the list though.

Like I tell most of my friends that get the itch to move (and eventually do move), I tell them, "Oh, you'll be back". I know because my family did the same (Columbia-Greenville-Columbia) and I've seen so many people do it already.
Yeah i have a friend that graduated from U of SC who is from the Upstate and also got their masters from a college in the Triad of NC. She's well traveled and says she's surprised at the progress Greenville has made over the year but she always comes back to Columbia to visit often. She enjoys her time so much in Columbia and she said that ultimately she's moving back "home" to the Capital city. She's been faithfully coming back nearly 1weekend like an military reservist for the past 6yrs.

Another friend use to complain all the time about living in Columbia being that he was from New Jersey and so close to NYC and Philly. The summer prior to his last semester [he grad that fall] he went home for the season...and lets just say 5yrs later he's still living in Columbia and calls it his home now.

My ex is originally from Savannah GA and she called Columbia "beautiful" and wanted to move there so badly. She eventually moved to Raleigh but told me that if we would have worked out she would have been more than happy to live in Columbia

Old 05-16-2013, 03:48 PM

5,748 posts, read 8,827,404 times
Quote:

LOL.. maybe Lousy is a better term..if Charleston, WV is on the list... LOL.. I am surprised that Wilson, NC is not on here.. I rode the train through there on the way to Florence. The whole town was centered around the train station.. taxis, delivery trucks, well wishers, and what not.. Some folks we just sitting around at the station not even waiting on the train.. just watching it and the traffic flowing by looking like they didnt have a care in the world.. As we sat there one guy got up stretched.. took two feebly steps and collapsed three feet away from where he stood up as if he was exhausted..... He then began to get comfortable as if he was done for the day completely content relaxing in the grass 30' from the train...Across the street.. the sound of the train whistle roused some guys from a local juke joint.. who came outside to see who was getting off the train.. they began to lean on their car take in the activity around the train station. Kids on bikes stopped riding and watched the train with some interest and people trying to get from one side of town to the other simply walked around the train.......I guess there is some small Mayberry like charm in that though

Old 05-17-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaSouth803 View Post
Yeah i have a friend that graduated from U of SC who is from the Upstate and also got their masters from a college in the Triad of NC. She's well traveled and says she's surprised at the progress Greenville has made over the year but she always comes back to Columbia to visit often. She enjoys her time so much in Columbia and she said that ultimately she's moving back "home" to the Capital city. She's been faithfully coming back nearly 1weekend like an military reservist for the past 6yrs.

Another friend use to complain all the time about living in Columbia being that he was from New Jersey and so close to NYC and Philly. The summer prior to his last semester [he grad that fall] he went home for the season...and lets just say 5yrs later he's still living in Columbia and calls it his home now.

My ex is originally from Savannah GA and she called Columbia "beautiful" and wanted to move there so badly. She eventually moved to Raleigh but told me that if we would have worked out she would have been more than happy to live in Columbia
I believe it... Can't pinpoint what it is exactly about Columbia. There's nothing flashy but it does have that homey feel to it that attracts people back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
LOL.. maybe Lousy is a better term..if Charleston, WV is on the list... LOL.. I am surprised that Wilson, NC is not on here.. I rode the train through there on the way to Florence. The whole town was centered around the train station.. taxis, delivery trucks, well wishers, and what not.. Some folks we just sitting around at the station not even waiting on the train.. just watching it and the traffic flowing by looking like they didnt have a care in the world.. As we sat there one guy got up stretched.. took two feebly steps and collapsed three feet away from where he stood up as if he was exhausted..... He then began to get comfortable as if he was done for the day completely content relaxing in the grass 30' from the train...Across the street.. the sound of the train whistle roused some guys from a local juke joint.. who came outside to see who was getting off the train.. they began to lean on their car take in the activity around the train station. Kids on bikes stopped riding and watched the train with some interest and people trying to get from one side of town to the other simply walked around the train.......I guess there is some small Mayberry like charm in that though

Lol wow... Wilson, NC sounds like a blast.. You know you have a lousy town when people loiter outside of a train station to the likes of hanging out at the mall or movie theatre on a weekend in the suburbs But hey, some people live simple lives, whatever they want to do to pass their time until they leave this beautiful earth, or, beautiful Wilson, NC.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:35 AM

[quote=smithgn;29604005]I believe it... Can't pinpoint what it is exactly about Columbia. There's nothing flashy but it does have that homey feel to it that attracts people back.

It feels like a city just being a city, not trying to show off anything to anyone.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:14 PM

C-Span was here recently. Tune in tomorrow to see what they covered in the Capital City.

Columbia, SC | Local Content Vehicles | C-SPAN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or