U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 06:53 PM

6,536 posts, read 13,741,789 times

Advertisements

[quote=Columbiadata;29605316]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I believe it... Can't pinpoint what it is exactly about Columbia. There's nothing flashy but it does have that homey feel to it that attracts people back.

It feels like a city just being a city, not trying to show off anything to anyone.
That's exactly right. Most people in Columbia don't feel like they have to put on airs and tend to be "real".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 09:52 PM

9,483 posts, read 13,215,486 times
Columbia is doing fine. The following is an email exchange between me and Clemson's head honcho economist today.

Dear Dr. XXXXXX:

I follow the monthly unemployment reports and anything that has to do with South Carolina and its metros' economies. I notice that the Columbia area hardly gets a mention in discussions about the state's improving unemployment rate or gains in jobs.

I also notice that despite a lot of in-migration to the Columbia area from counties that have high unemployment, the Columbia MSA seems to be keeping pace with the other MSA's in lowering its unemployment rate, and its year-to-year job gains as reflected in the monthly reports seem to be consistently greater than in the state's other metros. Yet it's always all about Greenville and Charleston and BMW and Boeing in the newspaper articles I read.

The report that was just released shows that from last April to last month, the actual employment numbers in the counties that make up the Charleston MSA dropped. Was this despite the Boeing effect? I'm looking out for Columbia because I live here and want it to do well, and an occasional encouraging word about the area would be nice to go along with what I think I'm seeing in the reports.

While Richland County's unemployment rate remains higher than Lexington, Greenville or Charleston County's, it's dropping steadily, despite the fact that a larger percentage of its population has historically suffered from much higher unemployment.

I would believe Columbia doesn't get its due from Clemson economists because of its government and Gamecocks image, but USC economists seem to usually leave Columbia out of the discussion as well. Am I missing something? What do I know? My degree is in English.

Thank you.

His response follows.

Matt--

Thank you for your note. You make a useful point, one that should be taken to heart by people who make comments about the economy. Just this Thursday, I was in Columbia speaking to a meeting of CPAs on the economic outlook. I showed them data for all S.C. MSAs and then for all counties. I pointed out the three pools of prosperity in the state: Low Country, Central Midlands, and Upstate. But noted that the Upstate was the weaker of the three.

Richland/Lexington's private sector doesn't get much attention due to a lack of a dominant industrial facility, such as Boeing or BMW, and due to a large public sector. But the data show that the Central Midlands does indeed have a major manufacturing/knowledge economy sector.

I will include some of this in my next Carolina Digest.

Best wishes to you.

And by the way, city-data friends, South Carolina dropped off the worst ten states for unemployment list in April, outpacing North Carolina in that measure of recovery. Yep, Columbia is doing fine.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:14 PM

^Good info, Data.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:35 AM

83 posts, read 155,818 times
I guess the biggest industrial facility in the Midlands would be the Michelin plant near Lexington?

Old 05-18-2013, 11:48 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,097,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTheGreat View Post
I guess the biggest industrial facility in the Midlands would be the Michelin plant near Lexington?
Continental in Sumter too

Old 05-18-2013, 12:14 PM

27,939 posts, read 24,965,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Richland/Lexington's private sector doesn't get much attention due to a lack of a dominant industrial facility, such as Boeing or BMW, and due to a large public sector. But the data show that the Central Midlands does indeed have a major manufacturing/knowledge economy sector.
And I think this demonstrates that the economy of the Columbia area is more diverse than most give it credit for. No, there's not that singular dominant industrial facility, but there are a handful of sizable ones (Michelin, Westinghouse, Bose, International Paper, etc.), along with several sizable private white collar companies. As a matter of fact, with companies like SCANA, BCBSSC, Colonial Life, CSC, First Citizens, SCBT/First Financial, etc., the fact that the Columbia area gets overlooked demonstrates how overly manufacturing-oriented state officials are. Manufacturing is important and I'm glad more of it is returning to the U.S., but it's the more knowledge-based white collar operations that will keep more college graduates in SC and attract educated transplants.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:28 PM

393 posts, read 657,312 times
I was down at the river today and noticed that they were renovating New Orleans. The sign said Stone River was coming, anyone know anything about this? It's good that something is going in there.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
I was down at the river today and noticed that they were renovating New Orleans. The sign said Stone River was coming, anyone know anything about this? It's good that something is going in there.
Stone River or Stoney River? If it's Stoney River then it will be the first in the Carolinas and there will be squawking from those in a certain city.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:03 AM

941 posts, read 943,697 times
Default Stone or Stoney river

Wow that's awesome re finally movement on long moribund New Orleans restaurant building. Now that's what I'm talking about!! Anybody in the know with more deets it'd be much appreciated tks

Old 05-19-2013, 09:57 AM

9,483 posts, read 13,215,486 times
C-Span does Columbia. This show aired yesterday at 6. There's a different show today at 5.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/312655-1

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UxNLWr4mqm...0/IMG_4896.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or