U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2016, 12:56 PM

6,636 posts, read 14,143,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
I'm in favor; aside from economies of scale, the city population would then be representative in comparison to the metro population. It would increase visibility because we'd be in the 50 largest cities in the country and it might also attract more notice from developers. On surveys, where only the 50 largest cities are included, we would be listed so it would definitely create more visibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 03:23 PM

5 posts, read 5,668 times
If you're in Richland county look for your taxes to increase to help pay for all city services and facilities. This happened to me when my county property was annexed by a NC city several years ago.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:00 PM

9,617 posts, read 13,750,115 times
I think this just means that people living in the city would be served by the same local government as those living in the county outside incorporated areas, not that the city of Columbia's boundaries would be Richland County.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:36 AM

1,536 posts, read 1,423,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I'm in favor; aside from economies of scale, the city population would then be representative in comparison to the metro population. It would increase visibility because we'd be in the 50 largest cities in the country and it might also attract more notice from developers. On surveys, where only the 50 largest cities are included, we would be listed so it would definitely create more visibility.
I was thinking the exact same thing. It seems so superficial, but it actually matters. Companies look at these "Top 50" lists and if you make that list, then it makes an impression on that company.
As far as boundaries go, if we do adopt Richland county as the city limits of Columbia, we'd be the 5 largest city in terms of land area in the United States, ahead of Jacksonville, Florida. Would it really entail that? And if not, why would the population of Richland county be counted as the city of Columbia's population if the boundaries wont be the city of Columbia as well?

Old 07-18-2016, 07:50 AM

29,749 posts, read 27,191,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irmo DJ View Post
If you're in Richland county look for your taxes to increase to help pay for all city services and facilities. This happened to me when my county property was annexed by a NC city several years ago.
That's not necessarily the case, and the tax burden in NC is overall higher than in SC anyway. Furthermore this isn't annexation; it's consolidation. The distinction is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I think this just means that people living in the city would be served by the same local government as those living in the county outside incorporated areas, not that the city of Columbia's boundaries would be Richland County.
A full city-county consolidation would indeed mean that Columbia's boundaries would be those of Richland County, minus any municipalities that might choose to opt out.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:58 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,503,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's not necessarily the case, and the tax burden in NC is overall higher than in SC anyway. Furthermore this isn't annexation; it's consolidation. The distinction is important.

A full city-county consolidation would indeed mean that Columbia's boundaries would be those of Richland County, minus any municipalities that might choose to opt out.
My reading of it was that the unincorporated county would become part of the consolidated city-county structure, but pre-existing incorporated communities would remain stand-alone unless they, too, opted-in.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:23 AM

1,169 posts, read 2,205,871 times
I really hope they get buy in from the residents in the unincorporated parts of the county! This would be great for the city.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:08 AM

8,863 posts, read 7,666,933 times
The problem will be as always. People trying to protect their turf/job. At best, they might be able to combine some services but overall it will be a no go.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:38 AM

29,749 posts, read 27,191,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
My reading of it was that the unincorporated county would become part of the consolidated city-county structure, but pre-existing incorporated communities would remain stand-alone unless they, too, opted-in.
Yeah that's typically how it works. The new political entity would be known as Columbia-Richland County with a population of 300K+.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:26 PM

6,636 posts, read 14,143,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah that's typically how it works. The new political entity would be known as Columbia-Richland County with a population of 300K+.

Richland County's population is now well over 400K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or