U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-27-2016, 08:52 AM
 
29,578 posts, read 27,042,748 times
Reputation: 18127

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I'm not comparing the ideology of frats to the KKK, but the characteristic of a "secret society". That aspect of a fraternity doesn't appeal to me.
Technically fraternities and sororities aren't secret societies because you know who the members are and they conduct a majority of their activities openly in public. True secret societies are completely clandestine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2016, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Columbia SC
8,825 posts, read 7,610,874 times
Reputation: 11926
I recently read that some 20% of men join a college fraternity and some 60% of women join a college sorority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2016, 10:20 PM
 
123 posts, read 99,614 times
Reputation: 31
At the corner of Pulaski and College Streets, in the field created by Greene Crossing Apartments, does any one know what's being done there? Expansion of train station?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2016, 12:53 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
6,624 posts, read 14,116,535 times
Reputation: 1829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaJAK View Post
At the corner of Pulaski and College Streets, in the field created by Greene Crossing Apartments, does any one know what's being done there? Expansion of train station?
I think it's water and sewer line work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2016, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Columbia,SC
748 posts, read 479,082 times
Reputation: 87
A downtown Beach for Columbia. I really like this idea like really really like this idea.

http://www.free-times.com/blogs/0816...in-finlay-park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2016, 10:46 AM
 
972 posts, read 996,291 times
Reputation: 153
Lol will never happen though. Annual maintenance would be exhorbitent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2016, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Irmo, SC
1,526 posts, read 1,416,997 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
A downtown Beach for Columbia. I really like this idea like really really like this idea.

http://www.free-times.com/blogs/0816...in-finlay-park
I absolutely love this idea. Why limit ourselves? Everyone has parks. Lets dream big and do something like this. This would be pure Columbia, in my opinion. A great response to all of the detractors that say we're in the middle of nowhere; far from the beaches or the mountains. Well, lets just bring the beaches right here. We don't have to go far to find the sand, at least, since we have naturally occurring sand in northeast Columbia.
It's a risk, but I can't see something like this becoming a flop. It would certainly cost a lot of money, I can't imagine how much, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2016, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
665 posts, read 601,927 times
Reputation: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I absolutely love this idea. Why limit ourselves? Everyone has parks. Lets dream big and do something like this. This would be pure Columbia, in my opinion. A great response to all of the detractors that say we're in the middle of nowhere; far from the beaches or the mountains. Well, lets just bring the beaches right here. We don't have to go far to find the sand, at least, since we have naturally occurring sand in northeast Columbia.
It's a risk, but I can't see something like this becoming a flop. It would certainly cost a lot of money, I can't imagine how much, though.
I would support this but I would want to charge to get in. Kind of like saluda shoals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2016, 04:36 PM
 
972 posts, read 996,291 times
Reputation: 153
Default You'd have to charge a lot though

To be feasible we're talking $12 per person
But again the city isn't in the beach resort biz. If they were going to go this route they might as will give the land to great wolf lodge on the condition they pay for the ongoing maintenance of the rest of the park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2016, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Irmo, SC
1,526 posts, read 1,416,997 times
Reputation: 362
Yeah, I think charging to enter would almost certainly have to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top