Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 02:51 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Benjamin threw an idea out years ago that I think would eventually be a great way to weave together multiple neighborhoods: a greenway. The route he discussed would run from the Vista (I believe), past the historic homes on Taylor, and eventually toward Bull Street Commons. Honestly the sheer size of the area between Gervais and Assembly and Elmwood Bull Street is so vast that there may never been a very interesting route. What has helped Greenville has been channeling people onto one path- in their case Main Street. Assembly and Gervais are the two primary arteries in downtown. I think the city could really help connect the Vista with the CBD and Five Points if it improved the pedestrian experience along Gervais. Any of these improvements will take quite a while though. At least USC is helping by constructing nicer buildings along Assembly and Gervais.
Hmmm, interesting. Perhaps if the Vista Greenway could tie into the Three Rivers Greenway some kind of way, it could happen at least partially.

Greensboro has a downtown greenway that could serve as a model if the city were serious about making it happen: http://downtowngreenway.org/explore/route-maps/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 07:51 AM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonatco View Post
This is exactly right. It's not about the distance...it's the exact walk AND WHETHER OR NOT ITS ENTERTAINING/ENJOYABLE. Too many empty spots and large intersection to cross. Your choice is to walk through dormant streets (as far as entertainment is involved) or along a very busy and wide road "Bull" with no stops along the way. Now, me saying this doesn't mean you can't fathom doing it... What it means is most people aren't going to. You have to create an area that lends itself to the "walk-ability" that is being spoken of. Who is gonna leave the convention center and walk to a bar on Bull street for a drink before hitting up Main and then back to the vista? Is this a challenge we are discussing or are we trying to create something enjoyable? In ten years or however long it will be when Bull Street is done it will be wonderful and walkable like the Vista finally is now. To me walkable is when you are just headed in a direction and "ducking in" to places that look cool or have a good vibe while walking kind of "aimlessly". I can't speak for others on this subject but would challenge that even they wouldn't make this trek afoot often.
Apparently Apple and Target were courted into bull street, but chose to move forward with Park 7 due to location. They mentioned walk-ability and proximity to USC as justification for their choice. You can't make companies move to a area they don't want to move to.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:37 AM

110 posts, read 140,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Apparently Apple and Target were courted into bull street, but chose to move forward with Park 7 due to location. They mentioned walk-ability and proximity to USC as justification for their choice. You can't make companies move to a area they don't want to move to.
Any link to some type of confirmation that this is a possibility? Without allotting a fair amount of the parking in the garage to retail and not to residents, I don't see how it could pass zoning. The poster on UnbanPlanet said the whole 1st floor would be parking for the Apple Store, but what about Target? So 2-3 levels of parking for the retail, what would that leave for the residents? I just do not see how that is possible when the development is now slated at 5-6 floors. Also, I just can't see Target putting in a 10-15K sqft. location, or a multi-story location when they could build a true CityTarget at Bull Street. They have very few of the former "Express" stores, and it seems none are located in areas such as Columbia.

Besides the fact that nothing of sort has been discussed at city council meetings. It seems this is another pipe dream at this point. Not saying it won't happen, but the development would have to be resubmitted to the city, on public record, to change the layout which only had 4K or so of retail space at last check.

Guess we will know for sure if updated plans are filed with the city at some point, but until that happens it's just a rumor.

Last edited by Todd803; 08-26-2016 at 09:48 AM..

Old 08-26-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd803 View Post
Any link to some type of confirmation that this is a possibility? Without allotting a fair amount of the parking in the garage to retail and not to residents, I don't see how it could pass zoning. The poster on UnbanPlanet said the whole 1st floor would be parking for the Apple Store, but what about Target? So 2-3 levels of parking for the retail, what would that leave for the residents? I just do not see how that is possible when the development is now slated at 5-6 floors. Also, I just can't see Target putting in a 10-15K sqft. location, or a multi-story location when they could build a true CityTarget at Bull Street. They have very few of the former "Express" stores, and it seems none are located in areas such as Columbia.

Besides the fact that nothing of sort has been discussed at city council meetings. It seems this is another pipe dream at this point. Not saying it won't happen, but the development would have to be resubmitted to the city, on public record, to change the layout which only had 4K or so of retail space at last check.

Guess we will know for sure if updated plans are filed with the city at some point, but until that happens it's just a rumor.
Seeing as the developers are from Manhattan, I trust their urban space planning. I think they might need to get confirmation from Target or Apple first before they can disclose publicly.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Seeing as the developers are from Manhattan, I trust their urban space planning. I think they might need to get confirmation from Target or Apple first before they can disclose publicly.
I think skepticism is appropriate here, especially since this development has gone from 13-15 stories to 5-6 and was supposed to be open for the fall 2016 semester. They have an empty lot, while things like Palmetto Compress and the Harden/Gervais development are open and occupied. While they could know many things in regards to Manhattan or the NYC area in general, numerous codes and statutes are different when building in Columbia or really any other area.

I would love to see this done and open, as I really like the design and location, but the delay on it seems really weird.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd803 View Post
I think skepticism is appropriate here, especially since this development has gone from 13-15 stories to 5-6 and was supposed to be open for the fall 2016 semester. They have an empty lot, while things like Palmetto Compress and the Harden/Gervais development are open and occupied. While they could know many things in regards to Manhattan or the NYC area in general, numerous codes and statutes are different when building in Columbia or really any other area.

I would love to see this done and open, as I really like the design and location, but the delay on it seems really weird.
According to the UP poster, they are facing massive setbacks with the City. Remember the city was the one that restricted their height due to USC complaining, so they might be going though the same dilemma with the addition of Target and Apple. We won't know publicly since it's probably behind closed doors.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
According to the UP poster, they are facing massive setbacks with the City. Remember the city was the one that restricted their height due to USC complaining, so they might be going though the same dilemma with the addition of Target and Apple. We won't know publicly since it's probably behind closed doors.
No matter the cause of the delay, the plans were approved about a year ago so it's not on the city. The "trouble" is only message board rumor at this point. I am not aware that USC objected to this development at all. The objection was towards the planned 15 story tower at S. Main and College St and that development has been scrapped.

I believe any dilemma in regards to retail would be going from only 2,658sq ft total for Retail(http://columbiasc.net/depts/planning..._1015_eval.pdf) to accommodating multiple store front with only 36K of rentable space total on the ground floor. If you look at the approved plans, they have 35 units on the 1st floor, which would all need to be removed.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:43 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,845,837 times
Quote:
USC never objected to the plans. The company bought an extra piece of land and lowered the height and shrunk the amount of rooms due to all the other student housing coming online.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
USC never objected to the plans. The company bought an extra piece of land and lowered the height and shrunk the amount of rooms due to all the other student housing coming online.
USC said it was too tall and the developer said "what else are they going to B$$$h about."

Old 08-29-2016, 12:24 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,845,837 times
Quote:
USC said it was too tall and the developer said "what else are they going to B$$$h about."
That was the Main Street development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area