U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 03:02 PM

9,474 posts, read 13,163,701 times

Advertisements

I just read in the hard copy of Columbia Regional Business Journal (article not online) that USC has $400 million worth of construction projects either in progress, soon to begin or on the drawing board. The current and soon-to-begin projects were planned years ago, and there will be a continual pipeline of such projects for years to come with continual planning as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 04:47 PM

6,526 posts, read 13,696,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I just read in the hard copy of Columbia Regional Business Journal (article not online) that USC has $400 million worth of construction projects either in progress, soon to begin or on the drawing board. The current and soon-to-begin projects were planned years ago, and there will be a continual pipeline of such projects for years to come with continual planning as well.
I can believe it:

New Darla Moore SOB
New Law School
Assembly Street Beautification
Old SC ETV ground for FB Parking
WB Stadium plaza
New Health Center

Old 06-11-2013, 08:53 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,763,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Wacc listed some projects but, I don't see construction projects ending anytime soon. The list of deferred maintenance is long and many building on campus need renovation. When the Law School moves, the old building will be renovated and then there is the question of the old Carolina Coliseum, I hope this is never demolished. I would also guess that the CLA will need some updating within the next 5+ years, especially on the technology front (we need a scoreboard like the one at Time Warner Cable Arena) and premium seats. Also, I think we should hear something in the near future on what will be built behind the Carolina Coliseum. The parking lot(s) are supposed to contain housing, come class space and retail. This project has potential to attract more retailers to the Vista area....maybe the long overdue Apple Store.

Work at Williams Brice will never end, I was talking to an athletic department official last month about the East Stands, she said that work on that side would cost over $100m and is not slated to be anywhere in the process for at least 5 years. As the SEC TV money grows, this should allow more money to be directed towards Williams Brice.

Honestly, the project I am most excited to see is the demolition of the building across from the engineering center to make way for a park along the creek and the creation of a lake area (have no idea when this will happen). If the images are true, this would be a huge addition to campus in addition to the buildings behind the Carolina Coliseum.

When will work begin on the new park that is in the Innovista Master plan? That park could generate many new private sector

Old 06-12-2013, 08:27 AM

5,733 posts, read 8,800,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Wacc listed some projects but, I don't see construction projects ending anytime soon. The list of deferred maintenance is long and many building on campus need renovation. When the Law School moves, the old building will be renovated and then there is the question of the old Carolina Coliseum, I hope this is never demolished. I would also guess that the CLA will need some updating within the next 5+ years, especially on the technology front (we need a scoreboard like the one at Time Warner Cable Arena) and premium seats. Also, I think we should hear something in the near future on what will be built behind the Carolina Coliseum. The parking lot(s) are supposed to contain housing, come class space and retail. This project has potential to attract more retailers to the Vista area....maybe the long overdue Apple Store.

Work at Williams Brice will never end, I was talking to an athletic department official last month about the East Stands, she said that work on that side would cost over $100m and is not slated to be anywhere in the process for at least 5 years. As the SEC TV money grows, this should allow more money to be directed towards Williams Brice.

Honestly, the project I am most excited to see is the demolition of the building across from the engineering center to make way for a park along the creek and the creation of a lake area (have no idea when this will happen). If the images are true, this would be a huge addition to campus in addition to the buildings behind the Carolina Coliseum.

When will work begin on the new park that is in the Innovista Master plan? That park could generate many new private sector
Look how far USC has come..I remember when the Wade Hampton Hotel was where the AT&T (whatever its called) tallest building in the state sits...I was a kid when it was imploded. Then there was the old Radisson on Assembly Street which also was imploded to make way for the Public Health Center( the Rad had some great parties after the concerts at the Coliseum...all the groupies would go there)...I learned how to swim at the old aquatic center on Blossom near the old mural of George Rogers... All of that is now gone... and went to some great parties in the Greek Dorms behind the library..I recall visiting friends parents who lived in "graduate housing" that was on Blossom and Bull Street where the parking garage now stands... In our teens we used to think it was a public housing project since it resembled a few of Columbia's notorious apartment complexes of the day.. It housed mostly foreign students and was more of an international district.. you could smell food being cooked from all over the globe as you walked through its narrow streets.....

USC has come along way... Look forward to the next 40 years.....

Old 06-12-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Look how far USC has come..I remember when the Wade Hampton Hotel was where the AT&T (whatever its called) tallest building in the state sits...I was a kid when it was imploded. Then there was the old Radisson on Assembly Street which also was imploded to make way for the Public Health Center( the Rad had some great parties after the concerts at the Coliseum...all the groupies would go there)...I learned how to swim at the old aquatic center on Blossom near the old mural of George Rogers... All of that is now gone... and went to some great parties in the Greek Dorms behind the library..I recall visiting friends parents who lived in "graduate housing" that was on Blossom and Bull Street where the parking garage now stands... In our teens we used to think it was a public housing project since it resembled a few of Columbia's notorious apartment complexes of the day.. It housed mostly foreign students and was more of an international district.. you could smell food being cooked from all over the globe as you walked through its narrow streets.....

USC has come along way... Look forward to the next 40 years.....
This isn't about me, but since you mentioned them, I lived in the Wade Hampton in a single student dorm on the 12th floor on the corner overlooking Main Street. Then I moved into international student housing as a token American and lived there the next four semesters till graduating. Things have certainly changed.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:46 PM

6,526 posts, read 13,696,209 times
I lived in University Inn my first semester at USC. It was located on the site of the Koger Center.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:13 PM

It sounds like Columbia's convention, sports and tourism authority has a couple of young go-getters on board.

Midlands Authority Marketing Director Named a 30 Under 30 by DMAI, Sports Council Announces New Hire | MidlandsBiz

Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 AM

391 posts, read 650,613 times
Grayson Miller is my brother-in-law's sister, I don't know what that makes her to me. She is perfect for this, and a great girl, I'm really happy for her.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:57 AM

77 posts, read 109,350 times
Columbias great if your opinion is something else I don't know why but "The metro" is a great city great opportunities cheap housing good cost of living nothing at all negative to say about it except its to hot I need to move out the south period lol and ive been back and forth there my whole life.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:16 AM

966 posts, read 1,836,094 times
I got this from a friend:

Quote:
I received a bill from the City of Columbia for water service. They put a $2.00 charge for “Animal Mission” on there. I did not authorize this and so I called and I found out it is an optional fee. I wonder how many people are paying this fee and they did not know it is optional?

Not only do you have to call you have to send them a letter – and no where on the form does it tell you it is optional.
I'll be checking our next water bill. It is hard for me to believe that a city can be this arrogant. Why try to slide an extra charge in on a needed utility?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or