U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2016, 08:02 PM

6,643 posts, read 14,168,017 times

Advertisements

I don't know; why didn't NYC build Central Park on one of the rivers? It would have made river access a lot easier. Most of you must not remember what that area looked like before the park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 12:26 AM

751 posts, read 485,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I was reading a comment in the Free Times about Finlay Park needing to be sold off to private developers and the City should focus more on the waterfront park development. As much as I like(d) Finlay Park.. they may be on to something.. Let the enclave on the top of the hill expand down around the lake with high end housing, apartment condos and what not maybe even build a few on stilts that stick off of the hill like homes in the hills in southern California. Close the post office and turn the "pad" on top of the pedestal into something cool like an urban plaza or something.. You could leave some greenspace around the base and the perimeter of the existing park for greenspace.. but sell the rest and put it back on the tax rolls...and then focus on the river for more parkland open space......

FLAME ON....
Totally agree. I can see that land be made into a complex of mid rise and/or high rise Apartments condos and maybe a Hotel.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:51 AM

I was curious. Why don't columbia embrace public Graffiti art like you see in LA huge street art set up in places all over town.

Example: https://p11.secure.hostingprod.com/@...ges/ssl/20.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/218/5...2defe9cd2b.jpg

Old 10-15-2016, 06:04 PM

6,180 posts, read 9,405,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I don't know; why didn't NYC build Central Park on one of the rivers? It would have made river access a lot easier. Most of you must not remember what that area looked like before the park.
I know where you are coming from Matt and the city had a chance to do that when the park was first developed. The area used to be an eye sore and resembled a dump before the park was built. From the late 80s to the late 90s many columbians including myself would go there to take pics walk your girlfriend around the lake and it even had a brief stint as a crusing zone before the enclave of high end homes put a stop to it I think unlike Central Park Finlay is not surrounded by high density housing or retail I think cola can get a Central Park type attraction but it will be on the river or at Columbia commons where it can be planned as part of a larger strategy not an after thought.

The problem is one administration built Finlay (Mayor Adams built Finlay Park....Mayor Coble came into office and was against it but didn't stop the project) then his administration followed by Benjamins began to focus on the Vista (convention ctr) and Main St ....which is great but it left Finlay on the back burner

Last edited by Woodlands; 10-15-2016 at 06:14 PM..

Old 10-15-2016, 06:50 PM

127 posts, read 98,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
I agree with you. I have never understood why the city build a park so far from the river. It has not really done much for the area and is obviously in a state of disrepair. Benjamin would be wise to sell off at least half of the land and reinvest the proceeds in other projects.
Finlay Park (remember when it was called Sidney Park?) used to be a nice place to go with your family. I think anyone 25 or over who is from Columbia should remember a time when Finlay Park was a lot nicer and fun.

It is a complete shame how it has been left to fall apart. They just opened that trail (Vista Greenway?) from the park to Elmwood, but I don't know if I'd feel too safe walking it. Seems like a waste of penny tax money.

Honestly, as long as homeless people are a fixture there, the park will never be a destination for families (especially when you have the river parks available just a short distance away). I wouldn't be torn up to see it sold off to private development. It is clear that it is not a priority for the city (and hasn't been for many, many years).

Old 10-15-2016, 07:42 PM

616 posts, read 457,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinegarbbq11 View Post
Finlay Park (remember when it was called Sidney Park?) used to be a nice place to go with your family. I think anyone 25 or over who is from Columbia should remember a time when Finlay Park was a lot nicer and fun.

It is a complete shame how it has been left to fall apart. They just opened that trail (Vista Greenway?) from the park to Elmwood, but I don't know if I'd feel too safe walking it. Seems like a waste of penny tax money.

Honestly, as long as homeless people are a fixture there, the park will never be a destination for families (especially when you have the river parks available just a short distance away). I wouldn't be torn up to see it sold off to private development. It is clear that it is not a priority for the city (and hasn't been for many, many years).
I hate to agree, but the homeless issue does a lot to deter people from going to the park. I don't get why Atlanta has so much success with Piedmont Park (I know it is bigger and there is a Country Club that sits right next to it). It seems that smaller towns in SC keep shipping their homeless to our town, and we do not have the resources to address it. I would like to see the stats on rehabilitation from Oliver Gospel Mission or Transitions. I know that sounds super controversial, but maybe we need to look at different options. Keep doing the same thing, get the same result, ya know.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
I hate to agree, but the homeless issue does a lot to deter people from going to the park. I don't get why Atlanta has so much success with Piedmont Park (I know it is bigger and there is a Country Club that sits right next to it). It seems that smaller towns in SC keep shipping their homeless to our town, and we do not have the resources to address it. I would like to see the stats on rehabilitation from Oliver Gospel Mission or Transitions. I know that sounds super controversial, but maybe we need to look at different options. Keep doing the same thing, get the same result, ya know.
I think it's time for the city to give the homeless homes for free to get them off the streets. I've seen cities starting to do that now. Those cities have saved more money giving the homeless houses instead of them going to shelters.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:59 PM

580 posts, read 738,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
I think it's time for the city to give the homeless homes for free to get them off the streets. I've seen cities starting to do that now. Those cities have saved more money giving the homeless houses instead of them going to shelters.
I think we should start offering them $100 and a one-way bus ticket to Greenville.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:57 PM

127 posts, read 98,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
I mean, it is an easy choice. Go to Finlay Park that homeless people use as their bedroom or go to the riverwalk where it is tranquil and has better scenery?

I sympathize with the plight of the homeless (who are homeless through no fault of their own), but I personally have had negative experiences with the homeless in that park that have kept me from going back.

Is the fountain in the park still broken? I mean, it is sad that something that the fountain that is commonly featured in Columbia's marketing isn't even properly maintained.

I can go on about that park for a while. But, like I said before, I wouldn't be torn up if the park was sold off for private development.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:22 PM

6,643 posts, read 14,168,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I know where you are coming from Matt and the city had a chance to do that when the park was first developed. The area used to be an eye sore and resembled a dump before the park was built. From the late 80s to the late 90s many columbians including myself would go there to take pics walk your girlfriend around the lake and it even had a brief stint as a crusing zone before the enclave of high end homes put a stop to it I think unlike Central Park Finlay is not surrounded by high density housing or retail I think cola can get a Central Park type attraction but it will be on the river or at Columbia commons where it can be planned as part of a larger strategy not an after thought.

The problem is one administration built Finlay (Mayor Adams built Finlay Park....Mayor Coble came into office and was against it but didn't stop the project) then his administration followed by Benjamins began to focus on the Vista (convention ctr) and Main St ....which is great but it left Finlay on the back burner
The park definitely needs to be renovated, but I wouldn't be in favor of closing it in order to build parks on the river. We need both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or