Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2016, 10:00 AM

746 posts, read 748,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Interesting.. Do you have a sense that there is more commuter traffic between Orangeburg and Columbia than between Sumter and Columbia? I used to commute from Columbia to Sumter and traffic was pretty bad on 378 where 90% of the traffic was likely between Columbia and Sumter. I-26 between Orangeburg and Columbia seems to be the other way around with the majority of the traffic going between Columbia and say Charleston or I-95 as opposed to commuter traffic between mainly Orangeburg and Columbia. Sumter is also three times the size of Orangeburg (city). There are existing rail lines between Sumter and Columbia as well that go on to Charleston same as via Orangeburg...I say all that to say would it make sense to pick Orangeburg or Sumter for an intrastate rail system between the Upstate and the Coast.. since you likely couldn't have both....
I think Growingup15 might be right about Orangeburg. The Census Bureau currently includes Orangeburg in our CSA and not Sumter. Who is and is not included in the CSA has to do with percentage of people commuting to a core county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 10:00 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Interesting.. Do you have a sense that there is more commuter traffic between Orangeburg and Columbia than between Sumter and Columbia? I used to commute from Columbia to Sumter and traffic was pretty bad on 378 where 90% of the traffic was likely between Columbia and Sumter. I-26 between Orangeburg and Columbia seems to be the other way around with the majority of the traffic going between Columbia and say Charleston or I-95 as opposed to commuter traffic between mainly Orangeburg and Columbia. Sumter is also three times the size of Orangeburg (city). There are existing rail lines between Sumter and Columbia as well that go on to Charleston same as via Orangeburg...I say all that to say would it make sense to pick Orangeburg or Sumter for an intrastate rail system between the Upstate and the Coast.. since you likely couldn't have both....
I'd say that since Orangeburg is in the Columbia CSA and Sumter isn't, there's more commuting between Orangeburg and Columbia than Sumter and Columbia.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:10 PM

1,154 posts, read 956,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
Interesting. If this is using existing track, and laying the foundation for a Charleston-Columbia-Greenville route, id be for trying this is with very basic stations, and one or two refurb diesel units (a bare bones concept). Another interesting concept is that if we get enough people who commute from Sumter, when the Census Bureau updates it's CSA's, Sumter may be included, which would push up our current Columbia-Orangeburg-Newberry, CSA to over 1,000,000.
When you say refurbished Trains maybe something like this.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/5/4108/5...dbea3abe_b.jpg

Old 11-01-2016, 05:16 PM

Here's a cool story i think Columbia needs to take a look at and maybe replicate

Ann Arbor to Detroit rail could happen in 2-3 years | Local News | Detroit Metro Times

Old 11-02-2016, 08:59 PM

So i went to the Transit hub/intermodal center thing today. I had a short talk with Mayor benjamin and he was interviewed by WISTV which we will see tonight. But pretty much some great news and really cool ideas coming about for this. They will have more public meetings and it is good for anyone and everyone to put their input in.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:05 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
So i went to the Transit hub/intermodal center thing today. I had a short talk with Mayor benjamin and he was interviewed by WISTV which we will see tonight. But pretty much some great news and really cool ideas coming about for this. They will have more public meetings and it is good for anyone and everyone to put their input in.

Tell him to put it on Hampton Street next to Memorial Park and the RR corridor the next time you talk with him...

Old 11-03-2016, 09:23 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,032,122 times
Quote:
Tell him to put it on Hampton Street next to Memorial Park and the RR corridor the next time you talk with him...
I was at the intermodal meeting too and I stressed over and over that wherever the center is built, it needs to be on a rail line.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Put in your input on their website

Old 11-04-2016, 09:47 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Put in your input on their website

Will do...I will ask is this a "for real" effort or just some box checking exercise and a way for some politically connected consultant to get paid

Old 11-05-2016, 07:54 PM

Not sure if anyone knows whats going on but k just got back from Charlotte and i noticed that I77 near killian has been shifted like they are about to add lanes. Like HOV or HOT lanes. Anyone knows whats going on there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area