U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-05-2016, 11:00 PM
 
1,365 posts, read 1,251,880 times
Reputation: 246

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Not sure if anyone knows whats going on but k just got back from Charlotte and i noticed that I77 near killian has been shifted like they are about to add lanes. Like HOV or HOT lanes. Anyone knows whats going on there?
They're adding an extra lane from blythewood road to I-77.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article84719007.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2016, 08:49 PM
 
616 posts, read 452,720 times
Reputation: 118
Cayce gets loan to replace water lines... Could Columbia do this???

Cayce lands $23.5M state loan to replace 75% of water lines > SC Biz News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2016, 12:15 AM
 
Location: Irmo, SC
1,524 posts, read 1,415,423 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
They're adding an extra lane from blythewood road to I-77.

Interstate 77 widening north of Columbia to start Monday | The State
Whoa, I had no idea that small little stretch from I-20 interchange to 277 was just 2 lanes.


So you basically go from 3 lanes where I-77 stars in south Columbia, then you hit I-20 interchange and it's 2 lanes. Then you pass 277 interchange and it's back to 3 lanes. Weird.


Do y'all think they will ever widen 277 in its entirety to 3 lanes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2016, 12:22 AM
 
1,365 posts, read 1,251,880 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Whoa, I had no idea that small little stretch from I-20 interchange to 277 was just 2 lanes.


So you basically go from 3 lanes where I-77 stars in south Columbia, then you hit I-20 interchange and it's 2 lanes. Then you pass 277 interchange and it's back to 3 lanes. Weird.


Do y'all think they will ever widen 277 in its entirety to 3 lanes?
I'll give it 5-10 years before they realize they need to start widening 277…then give at 5 after that to start work. It's at about 50-55k aadt now which is usually when DOTs start planning to widen a freeway to 3 lanes. At the least I'd like them to redo the i20/277 interchange and get rid of the clover leaf and add a flyover from 20 east to 2777 north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2016, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Columbia,SC
747 posts, read 478,120 times
Reputation: 87
Looks like phase3 of canalside is gonna begin soon.

Developer to start work on downtown apartment complex > Columbia Business Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2016, 06:52 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
14 posts, read 14,834 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
http://www.columbiasc.net/depts/plan...ideiii_pkt.pdf

Note: This should probably be in the Vista thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2016, 03:08 AM
 
Location: Columbia,SC
747 posts, read 478,120 times
Reputation: 87
So I was thinking.

What would columbia have to do to promote itself in a way to Score a huge bank or Tech company in downtown. Big enough that the company is willing to build a huge tower for irt

Also i heard awhile back that Aflac or Blue Cross Blue Shield was looking for a new location in downtown I've heard rumors for awhile that either one is gonna build a possible downtown tower office space to combine all the local work force into one, building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2016, 07:20 AM
 
205 posts, read 124,459 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
So I was thinking.

What would columbia have to do to promote itself in a way to Score a huge bank or Tech company in downtown. Big enough that the company is willing to build a huge tower for irt

Also i heard awhile back that Aflac or Blue Cross Blue Shield was looking for a new location in downtown I've heard rumors for awhile that either one is gonna build a possible downtown tower office space to combine all the local work force into one, building.
One of the biggest selling points for big companies to come to Columbia is the promise of a low cost work force. In the same way though, highly qualified people don't want to move to Columbia because this is a low pay area. The companies that thrive here are looking for the quick turnover work force like at Amazon or Verizon. And the various call centers we have all over.

Just sad we lost our edge in high level tech development. Disappointing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2016, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
1,710 posts, read 1,496,992 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
One of the biggest selling points for big companies to come to Columbia is the promise of a low cost work force. In the same way though, highly qualified people don't want to move to Columbia because this is a low pay area. The companies that thrive here are looking for the quick turnover work force like at Amazon or Verizon. And the various call centers we have all over.

Just sad we lost our edge in high level tech development. Disappointing.
That's true for the entire state, not just Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2016, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,599 posts, read 13,709,097 times
Reputation: 2051
This article just happens to be in the Post and Courier today. I think the rest of the state will follow, though probably at a slower rate.

Survey: Charleston tech workers' pay grows as sector matures | Business | postandcourier.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top