U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2016, 05:10 PM

6,147 posts, read 9,355,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
I'll give it 5-10 years before they realize they need to start widening 277…then give at 5 after that to start work. It's at about 50-55k aadt now which is usually when DOTs start planning to widen a freeway to 3 lanes. At the least I'd like them to redo the i20/277 interchange and get rid of the clover leaf and add a flyover from 20 east to 2777 north.
277 seems to be crowded only during rush hour. The rest of the time it seems woefully under capacity. I 20 and I 77 seem pretty consistently traveled given their role in both local and interstate traffic. I wonder if SCDOT would rather improve various roads in the NE like Farrow (which is two lanes between I 77 and I 20 for some strange reason ) or widen feeder roads into North Main, Monticello and Fairfield Roads which could serve as alternate routes to downtown for 277? Monticello and Fairfield Roads are four lanes far into north Richland County and rarely ever experience high volumes until they get into the Eau Claire/ North Columbia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 04:54 PM

750 posts, read 481,655 times
So i saw them tearing down that building next to the McDonald's on Gervais Street across from the future Kline City Centre.

Anyone knows what's going on with that land around that McDonald's?

Old 11-16-2016, 05:13 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,257,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
So i saw them tearing down that building next to the McDonald's on Gervais Street across from the future Kline City Centre.

Anyone knows what's going on with that land around that McDonald's?
Wasn't that the future apartment sight from a year ago or so…don't know if that's still on the table. That's about all the news I've heard on that site.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Wasn't that the future apartment sight from a year ago or so…don't know if that's still on the table. That's about all the news I've heard on that site.
Yeah i thought that plan fell through?

Is there a secret plan we don't know about?

Old 11-17-2016, 05:46 AM

Do anyone knows what happened to this plan?

I just not discovered it and wow looked like Decker Blvd would of been a beautiful area with this development.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...qOO1v6zQ-oWqOQ

Old 11-17-2016, 12:35 PM

6,147 posts, read 9,355,444 times
Quote:

I just not discovered it and wow looked like Decker Blvd would of been a beautiful area with this development.

I remember when they were doing this..; They wanted to make Decker the County's "Main Street" and move some of the County Offices out to the old Decker Plaza.. They were also going to entitle it as an "International Blvd" because of the various types of eateries and restaurants that are along it..many of which located there because of the diversity of the population that live along there and because of Ft Jackson where many of the service men and women are also from diverse populations.

I don't think it will ever come to fruition...Not when the areas is being squeezed by Blythewood and far NE Columbia on one end, downtown Columbia's renaissance on the other and then competition from NW/Harbison and a slowly growing SE Columbia. There isn't enough development to go around especially of the type that is shown here.. which resembles what many intown Columbia neighborhoods and the Vista are currently doing.. In the 80s and 90s this area was booming.. from Columbia Mall, Decker Mall, all the restaurant like Olive Garden and even the Redwing Rollerway... All of those things have evaporated and the area, once boasting two sizable movie theatre complexes has none..Vacant shopping Centers.. a struggling Columbia Place and once viable sit down restaurants sitting vacant.

I do believe the area will evolve with more international grocery stores/businesses and many independent restaurants/clubs are moving into some of the older chain food joints.. The area will be different.. but I don't think it will be like the development patterned outline in this document.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:08 PM

616 posts, read 454,578 times
Quote:

Back in the late 90's and early 2000's, cities and counties were hiring (rather being sold by) "urban planning architects," who specialized in urban design. Basically, the firm would conduct a very limited review of an area that government wanted to revitalize. No engineers to pay, no complex codes to navigate, just a fun project to throw out some pie in the sky ideas and make tons of money doing almost nothing. To my knowledge, almost none of these projects were ever implemented. Part of it was the recession,a lot of it was a government's ability to pull off such ambitious projects due to financing, political will, neighborhood resistance, land and building ownership barriers...

An example of this today is the buildings on Devine just before Garners Ferry Road, that have been sitting there for almost a year. There are liens and legal battles on these building for who will pay for anything. The current owner can't tear down the building, because they will be out that cost, they cannot sell it, because no one will buy the property if the building is still on it, and they are sitting on a lawsuit from the previous tenant. Cities are complicated, and plans like this are just easier to accomplish on large swaths of undeveloped land, hence... sprawl!

Off my soapbox now! Sorry... If would have been awesome though, I agree.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:31 AM

665 posts, read 602,971 times
Quote:
So I was thinking.

What would columbia have to do to promote itself in a way to Score a huge bank or Tech company in downtown. Big enough that the company is willing to build a huge tower for irt

Also i heard awhile back that Aflac or Blue Cross Blue Shield was looking for a new location in downtown I've heard rumors for awhile that either one is gonna build a possible downtown tower office space to combine all the local work force into one, building.
That would be nice. It would make sense for blue cross because most of their employees are in the northeast , but they have a relatively new huge building on Percival road so not sure they would abandon that. But what does make sense is moving their IS staff, most of whom are in the Tower, downtown. IS is critical for them and if you want to keep an edge in recruiting and keep people happy then moving them into a nice new tower in a much better, centralized location makes sense.

The company I work for is moving from the synergy energy park to a prime location downtown and I'm excited about it. About 60 HQ employees/national company. Workers like working in interesting places.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:52 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,420,751 times
Can anyone refresh my memory on what they're building on the block of Huger-Hampton and Williams street? The property right in front of Canal Side right as you come off of Jarvis Klapman... So many things going on it's hard to keep up.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:36 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,257,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Can anyone refresh my memory on what they're building on the block of Huger-Hampton and Williams street? The property right in front of Canal Side right as you come off of Jarvis Klapman... So many things going on it's hard to keep up.
4 story Storage facility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or