U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2016, 10:14 PM

6,630 posts, read 14,130,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
I gotta tell u as someone in that camp, no dog in the race. As soon as the ref made that
Bad showboating call against Clemson after a slam dunk hoop hang
Clemson deserved the W
Hanging on the rim is a technical foul, plain and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 11:08 PM

750 posts, read 481,655 times
Looks like that progressiveness is starting to kick in with the City. Finally!

Zoning Board Approves Olympia Apartments Despite USC Objections | Local & State News | free-times.com

Especially since this was disapproved by USC I'm guessing this is the city's way of saying to the University that they don't control everything

Old 12-22-2016, 11:09 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,420,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The issue here is that for everything you think is wrong with Columbia, you want Columbia to follow Charlotte. That makes Columbia, which actually has more defining aspects, look like a copycat; Columbia can make improvements by looking at what several cities have done, not just one.

Charlotte is great and I used to live there, but Columbia doesn't need to copy every single little thing Charlotte does.

Seriously though, you seem to like Charlotte a great deal so why not just move there? Life is too short to sit around waiting for a city to get everything 'right.'
I can't speak for Growingup15, but seeking a bigger and a further developed urban city like Charlotte by moving there would not equal the same satisfaction as seeing my hometown make the steps towards getting to that point. I want to be along for the ride and at some capacity, help the city as it grows even if it's as miniscule as writing the mayor or like in my case, contacting Sara Holler of the Forestry and Beautification department.

I've always told myself that I'm open to moving anywhere, as long as it's a warm climate, but I'll have to always have a home/condo/bungalow, something, in or around Columbia to go back to so that I have a sense of "place". No other area would feel like home, but everyones different. I have many, many friends that have gone off and lived in several different states already and don't think twice about it- which is fine, but It wouldn't give me the satisfaction of watching my hometown grow. It still astounds me to drive down Blossom street and see the changes going on and I want to be apart of that, at some capacity, even if it means just by living here.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:19 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,420,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Looks like that progressiveness is starting to kick in with the City. Finally!

Zoning Board Approves Olympia Apartments Despite USC Objections | Local & State News | free-times.com

Especially since this was disapproved by USC I'm guessing this is the city's way of saying to the University that they don't control everything
Great news! I love my alma mater and I love to see it's growth and prosperity, but I'm still sore about the Icon not being built on S. Main due to USC's propaganda war about the dreaded shadow it would cast over the horseshoe; like that scene from Independence Day where the alien ship blots out the entire sky

So if anything, maybe I'm happy about this since the city indeed doesn't bow to every want by the university.

And also, what the heck is this about?

“I see trains stop on campus during the day, and our students make bad decisions, in their right faculty, of crawling under the trains trying to get to class,” Huggins said. “Now, if we put the variable of alcohol in the equation, then this is a situation where we will see tragedy.”

So basically this guy is inferring that our students get plastered, climb over parked trains, and go to class. I don't recall ever getting blitzed and going to class. If I was already a few drinks in, class was crossed off the list. But then again, that was a rarity.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I can't speak for Growingup15, but seeking a bigger and a further developed urban city like Charlotte by moving there would not equal the same satisfaction as seeing my hometown make the steps towards getting to that point. I want to be along for the ride and at some capacity, help the city as it grows even if it's as miniscule as writing the mayor or like in my case, contacting Sara Holler of the Forestry and Beautification department.

I've always told myself that I'm open to moving anywhere, as long as it's a warm climate, but I'll have to always have a home/condo/bungalow, something, in or around Columbia to go back to so that I have a sense of "place". No other area would feel like home, but everyones different. I have many, many friends that have gone off and lived in several different states already and don't think twice about it- which is fine, but It wouldn't give me the satisfaction of watching my hometown grow. It still astounds me to drive down Blossom street and see the changes going on and I want to be apart of that, at some capacity, even if it means just by living here.
Oh you spoke for me pretty well. I would want nothing more then to see Columbia where i was born and raised in and still live in to develop itself into something much better then what it is today.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:50 AM

975 posts, read 998,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Hanging on the rim is a technical foul, plain and simple.
Not if it was to avoid injury. On tv both announcers were flabbergasted at the call

Old 12-23-2016, 06:01 AM

9,612 posts, read 13,735,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post

You sound like Columbiadata. Charlestondata is paying sky-high property taxes (twice the Charleston rate) on his Columbia house. That's his contribution to Columbia.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:12 AM

When i drive around downtown everyday i always put myself into a mindset as a tourist or someone from another area who have never visited Columbia before. It works sometimes especially in the newly built areas.

when Columbia does take an even more progressive step outside their comfort zone and start being a bit more open to better development that's worth the cost of the land they are selling then i want to feel like I'm in another city. I want to feel like a tourist in my own city just smiling excited if so much new stuff in the city and so many more activities and seeing so many out of towners (who aren't just USC Kids) flooding the city.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:58 PM

6,630 posts, read 14,130,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
Not if it was to avoid injury. On tv both announcers were flabbergasted at the call
I sit right behind the basket where that was called and nobody was underneath him that would have gotten hurt. I've been to over 1000 college basketball games in my life so I'm pretty well versed on the rules.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:16 PM

975 posts, read 998,164 times
They played it back in slomo a couple times and both announcers said the ref made a bad call.
Can't remember the exact rationale but something about the dunker himself needing to stem his own momentum or otherwise would have hurt himself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or