U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2017, 05:35 PM

9,612 posts, read 13,737,189 times

Advertisements

It ranks well in livability. I've said Columbia is an easy city to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 07:08 PM

9 posts, read 7,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
Columbia ranks well compared with peer cities, but can improve in workforce quality and creating innovative products or ideas.

Report: Columbia most livable city in SC - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina
Yeah, you just can't live in a city without a busker scene. It's impossible.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:21 PM

616 posts, read 454,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkennedy2000 View Post
Yeah, you just can't live in a city without a busker scene. It's impossible.
Yeah, that was odd to put that next to "world class art museum," LOL!

Old 01-13-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
It ranks well in livability. I've said Columbia is an easy city to live in.
Yeah there is a lot of stuff to do here, and if you like nightlife there is a ton to do. The region needs to build on that and try to get the state to help them with workforce development. We need more tech jobs and home grown companies. I know much work is being done, but it would be cool if we could help solidify the area as healthcare/insurance technology hub.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:37 PM

9,612 posts, read 13,737,189 times
Columbia as "the place to be" hasn't caught on. That might happen in the future.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:02 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,853,143 times
Quote:
Columbia as "the place to be" hasn't caught on. That might happen in the future.
Well Cola finally got a Costco so it's a start.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I don't think it ever will be "the place to be." But I think it could be the place to be for people that want an affordable waterfront home, or downtown condo, or a family home with good schools and great amenities.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Well Cola finally got a Costco so it's a start.
I think if the city and county could consolidate to make it look like we are a city of almost 400,000. For some reason retail and restaurants seem to look at that number... can't do a lot about how the metro is laid out, but if you get the numbers up there, it might get us on the map.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:21 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,853,143 times
Quote:
I think if the city and county could consolidate to make it look like we are a city of almost 400,000. For some reason retail and restaurants seem to look at that number... can't do a lot about how the metro is laid out, but if you get the numbers up there, it might get us on the map.
There's no reason to consolidate, especially for the reason of attracting retail. City populations don't matter as much as the urban, county, region, and trade populations, and what's in proximity to the area.

Greenville for instance is only a "city" of 65,000, but gets so much because it's the hub of the Upstate, and gets some day travelers from NC, and is in it's own large bubble between Atlanta, Charlotte, Columbia, and Knoxville.

Retailers do homework, don't worry. Just various factors work into getting things. Spartanburg definitely didn't get Costco before Columbia because of population, in any metric. There were other factors at work, from the Costco company, the Spartanburg leadership, and natural influences.

Columbia is healthy. As long as it stays healthy, companies and brands will invest.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:51 AM

750 posts, read 481,854 times
Quote:
We would be up there as one of the largest cities in the southeast if we do that. I approve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or