U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-31-2013, 06:29 PM
 
27,786 posts, read 24,814,471 times
Reputation: 16505

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I don't see it. The complaining business owner did his business more harm talking about it than just letting it happen.
You realize that more than one businessperson is against this, right? The opposition is a pretty broad coalition of people/entities and includes the mayor.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,482 posts, read 13,184,121 times
Reputation: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You realize that more than one businessperson is against this, right? The opposition is a pretty broad coalition of people/entities and includes the mayor.
Yes I do. I have an independent mind.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 06:41 PM
 
27,786 posts, read 24,814,471 times
Reputation: 16505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Yes I do. I have an independent mind.
I made mention of that because you said the "complaining business owner" (singular) as if this were simply a case of one person being a NIMBY when that's not accurate.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,482 posts, read 13,184,121 times
Reputation: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I made mention of that because you said the "complaining business owner" (singular) as if this were simply a case of one person being a NIMBY when that's not accurate.
I edited it to read "the complaining business owner on WIS..."

He's the only one I've seen on TV saying homeless people are urinating and defecating in the alley next to his business. I would think that would come to a halt with people living in the halfway house.

DC, where I often literally had a choice of walking around homeless people or stepping over them downtown, is a sea of construction cranes, yet it still has a big homelessness problem. Do we want to be a city or Mayberry?

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...lter-residents
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 07:21 PM
 
27,786 posts, read 24,814,471 times
Reputation: 16505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I edited it to read "the complaining business owner on WIS..."

He's the only one I've seen on TV saying homeless people are urinating and defecating in the alley next to his business. I would think that would come to a halt with people living in the halfway house.
How so?

Quote:
DC, where I often literally had a choice of walking around homeless people or stepping over them downtown, is a sea of construction cranes, yet it still has a big homelessness problem. Do we want to be a city or Mayberry?
What's the relationship here between a "sea of construction cranes" and a big homelessness problem? There is none. The former is happening in spite of the latter because, well, it's DC, the nation's capital. Let federal dollars prop up Columbia's local economy to the extent they do for DC and you might have a point.

I've heard of a place being referred to as "Mayberry" because residents don't want new residential, office, industrial, or retail developments in their neighborhoods--things that actually have the potential to spur growth and more development--but never because they're not too keen on a halfway house for ex-felons being proposed for a property in close proximity to a development expected to have a huge, transformative effect on downtown.

So if this halfway house comes to the proposed location downtown, will this mean that Columbia has reached the next level as a cosmopolitan, urbane metropolis on the verge of supplanting Atlanta as the powerhouse of the Southeast?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,482 posts, read 13,184,121 times
Reputation: 1995
With people coming and going to and from a housing facility, most likely with the alley blocked off, the problem would be solved. The halfway house residents wouldn't be homeless.

The buildings going up in DC are mostly being funded by the private sector. They are mostly apartment buildings and new retail establishments.

If the halfway house goes through it won't be so much as a pinky finger in the spokes.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 07-31-2013 at 07:50 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 07:35 PM
 
27,786 posts, read 24,814,471 times
Reputation: 16505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
With people coming and going to and from a housing facility, most likely with the alley blocked off, the problem would be solved. The halfway house residents wouldn't be homeless.
Possibly, you're replacing one (potential) problem with another--at least as far as perception goes. You get rid of 7, 8 homeless folks in the alley in exchange for 50 ex-felons in the vicinity.

Quote:
The buildings going up in DC are mostly being funded by the private sector. They are mostly apartment buildings and new retail establishments.
Of course they are private developments, but as for the people who will live and shop there, where do you think they work? Most likely for the government, government contractors, institutes and non-profits that rely on government funding, etc. And much of the private sector there is thriving due to heavy initial government funding, even if such funding has waned in recent years.

Quote:
If the halfway house goes through it won't be so much as a cog in the wheel. Being right isn't always winning. I'm done with this subject.
I'm just having a hard time understanding how you can't see how this proposed development is problematic in terms of perception and timing. To not even acknowledge that is somewhat mind-boggling to me, especially with the degree of opposition it's facing from the mayor on down.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 PM
 
937 posts, read 940,015 times
Reputation: 152
ya sorry Data I gotta side with Mutiny on this one and concur completely re:
I'm just having a hard time understanding how you can't see how this proposed development is problematic in terms of perception and timing. To not even acknowledge that is somewhat mind-boggling to me, especially with the degree of opposition it's facing from the mayor on down.

It seems like this one surreptitiously snuck through the cracks and now that everybody is aware of it there's a chance we can still stop it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,482 posts, read 13,184,121 times
Reputation: 1995
I edited out my statement that I was done with this subject. The proposed development is one that could have gone under the radar screen with almost no one ever even knowing about it. Worrying about such a development is without merit.

"Crime is actually lower in areas with higher homelessness rates." - Richard Florida.

http://dcentric.wamu.org/jp/d-c-area...ion/index.html

The residents of federal halfway houses have done their prison time.

Now I'm done with this subject.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 08:12 PM
 
27,786 posts, read 24,814,471 times
Reputation: 16505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I edited out my statement that I was done with this subject. The proposed development is one that could have gone under the radar screen with almost no one ever even knowing about it. Worrying about such a development is without merit.
Really, nothing these days has the potential to go under the radar screen with all of the ways we have to access information at any given time. Even so, I don't see how this minimizes the importance of the issue.

Quote:
"Crime is actually lower in areas with higher homelessness rates." - Richard Florida.

D.C.-Area Has Fifth Largest Homeless Population | DCentric
I'm not exactly sure what this has to do with the placement of a halfway house for ex-felons a block and a half away from the Bull Street campus. Furthermore, I'd think that statistics specific to Columbia would be a more useful measure than a generic national trend.

Quote:
The residents of federal halfway houses have done their prison time.
I don't think anyone has argued otherwise. The facility is obviously necessary and there could even be a place for it in another location downtown, but this isn't the best one IMO.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top