U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2017, 09:30 AM

123 posts, read 99,899 times

Advertisements

This has been on my mind lately. We have Columbiana, Sandhills, Dutch Square, Richland, and soon Killian Crossing and Bull Street Commons. 1/3 are thriving, 1/3 are in development, and 1/3 in decay. How do we fix Richland and Dutch Square? They are in perfect locations, IMO. Why did they fail? Also, there are still plans for an outlet mall in Cayce near Otarre Pointe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 09:51 AM

6,147 posts, read 9,355,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaJAK View Post
This has been on my mind lately. We have Columbiana, Sandhills, Dutch Square, Richland, and soon Killian Crossing and Bull Street Commons. 1/3 are thriving, 1/3 are in development, and 1/3 in decay. How do we fix Richland and Dutch Square? They are in perfect locations, IMO. Why did they fail? Also, there are still plans for an outlet mall in Cayce near Otarre Pointe.

In my mind Richland Mall should be repurposed into residential, office, and retail. It seems like demand for all three are increasing in the CBD and Richland Mall is just a stone throw from downtown. Part of my suspicion with the lull around Richland Mall is that it is in Forest Acres which, for lack of a better, is a glorified HOA. I don't know if FA has an "economic development department" or an arm of the City that can work with developers to encourage redevelopment or bundle incentives to facilitate it. That said, FA could easily work with Richland County to facilitate the redevelopment of the mall since Richland County would stand to gain from the increase in tax revenue generated from the Mall. A politico could also push for state incentives to assist with redevelopment. So it may boil down to what politico will take this project under their wing and push for action... There doesn't appear to be any interest especially since FA is not what one would consider a blighted city and its residents woudnt stand for any taxpayer subsidized incentives especially if the owners aren't taking any initiative to put options on the table. There needs to be someone, with the City

Conversely, Dutch Square I believe has been annexed into the City of Columbia.. but the City has zero $$ to do anything with Dutch Square in part because they have blown their wad on Bull Street Commons and their focus is more downtown than older interburban sections of the City.

Richland County also may have no interest in places like Columbiana since the County may be heavily vested in the old Decker Mall and now with conversations surrounding a new Courthouse starting up.. its likely not going to do much.. which also could impact why they wont do much with Richland Mall in FA as well......

Last edited by Woodlands; 03-08-2017 at 10:23 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 10:11 AM

211 posts, read 127,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Interesting.. it wouldn't surprise me if that 9% overall vacancy is primarily in three developments: Richland Mall, Dutch Square, and Columbia Place.....

I doubt Columbia gets any new "Malls" or large strip centers anytime soon.. but I am still baffled why Dutch Square and especially Richland Mall have not been repurposed
Richland Mall was half Verizon for a while. I always hated the location.

And Dutch Square had a resurgance in late 90's with the new(then) GCC Theater. But the rest of the neighborhood doomed it to failure.

Columbia Mall(Place) is in an even worse area of Columbia and has only gotten worse since I moved here in the mid 90's. Used to have 2 theaters there.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:04 PM

416 posts, read 244,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Interesting.. it wouldn't surprise me if that 9% overall vacancy is primarily in three developments: Richland Mall, Dutch Square, and Columbia Place.....

I doubt Columbia gets any new "Malls" or large strip centers anytime soon.. but I am still baffled why Dutch Square and especially Richland Mall have not been repurposed
Richland Mall is hard to repurpose because it faces internally and is shielded behind that mammoth parking garage. Dutch Square is in kind of a dodgy area, so I'm not sure that the demographics support much. Bear in mind that outlets were proposed for West Columbia, which follows where the market is going anyway (nobody paying full price in brick-and-mortars).

Old 03-08-2017, 03:04 PM

750 posts, read 481,655 times
Quote:
Dutch square was supposed to be torn down and rebuilt into a sandhill style mall but it happened when the economy crashed just like the Village that was supposed to be built ontop of the Richland Fashion mall.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:56 PM

123 posts, read 99,899 times
WISTV : City Council could approve new $185,000 playground set for Finlay Park
Hey hey hey ��

Old 03-09-2017, 09:23 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,509,981 times
Quote:
I think this is prime example of Columbia's suburban sprawl and a mentality to build out rather than up to a certain degree.

Columbia is kind of like a small version of Atlanta where suburban growth has for many years and to some degree still today outpaces urban growth.

This is why Dutch Square failed, Columbia Place is struggling, and why Richland Mall, despite being in a relatively affluent Forest Acres also failed.

The other issue I think has been each mall was trying to serve the same market and appeal to the same audience as one another rather than try and appeal to different markets. Look at how Myrtle Beach is able to sustain Market Commons and Coastal Grand which are virtually right beside each other. While yes they both benefit from the tourism, they also have different stores appealing to different markets. If one mall had more upscale stores that the other didnt have, they may have been able to survive a bit longer.

Overall though, the issue is Columbia sprawled out to far over the past 20 years.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:53 AM

6,147 posts, read 9,355,444 times
Quote:

Interesting.. is that part of a "master plan" to reinvent the Park that was thrown around a few months ago? I am for them doing SOMETHING with Finlay Park but is this the best use of funds for something to do first? If parents aren't comfortable coming to Finlay Park by themselves why in the world would they bring their kids? Seems like they need to focus on getting more adults interested in coming to Finlay (events, activities, landscaping etc) Then it becomes easier to encourage kids to come with their Parents. I just don't see many parents saying "oh look.. new playground equipment.. lets bring our kids there" like they would at say a neighborhood park.. Finlay doesn't have a "neighborhood park" type feel..its more of destination, event, and relax/stroll park and civic space which is more adult/young adult focused or atleast that's what it USED to be.. but maybe I am wrong and this is a good start???

Old 03-09-2017, 01:37 PM

616 posts, read 454,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I think this is prime example of Columbia's suburban sprawl and a mentality to build out rather than up to a certain degree.

Columbia is kind of like a small version of Atlanta where suburban growth has for many years and to some degree still today outpaces urban growth.

This is why Dutch Square failed, Columbia Place is struggling, and why Richland Mall, despite being in a relatively affluent Forest Acres also failed.

The other issue I think has been each mall was trying to serve the same market and appeal to the same audience as one another rather than try and appeal to different markets. Look at how Myrtle Beach is able to sustain Market Commons and Coastal Grand which are virtually right beside each other. While yes they both benefit from the tourism, they also have different stores appealing to different markets. If one mall had more upscale stores that the other didnt have, they may have been able to survive a bit longer.

Overall though, the issue is Columbia sprawled out to far over the past 20 years.

It's poor planning on Richland County's part. They have let big developers dictate growth. In many places that are similarly sized to the Columbia Metro, there tend to be wealthy parts of town, poor areas and then middle income areas all pretty well defined. Stores can locate centrally in those areas with great demographics.

In Baton Rouge the south side is mostly upper class and wealthy folks, the North Side is more poor. There is a great regional mall in the center of the south side. Omaha, NE is the same. The south side and west side are more wealthy than the north side. There is a great regional mall in southwest Omaha. Columbia is all over the place. There are physical barriers such as the base, the rivers and the lake, combined with two counties not working together and a city and county not planning together that created a metro with multiple areas with good demographics that are too far away from each other, and don't have the raw numbers alone to attract retailers.

I think the best thing that could happen would be to convert Columbia Place into office space, and move Richland County Administration, the health department and as many other county services as possible. There is plenty of parking, and it is almost smack dab in the middle of the county.

Dutch Square is like many other first ring suburban malls. The only major problem is that belk left a huge empty building.

There should be options for Richland Mall, but it seems no one has the desire to do anything except cash flow the rent from the few stores still there.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:41 PM

29,696 posts, read 27,123,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
In Baton Rouge the south side is mostly upper class and wealthy folks, the North Side is more poor. There is a great regional mall in the center of the south side. Omaha, NE is the same. The south side and west side are more wealthy than the north side. There is a great regional mall in southwest Omaha. Columbia is all over the place. There are physical barriers such as the base, the rivers and the lake, combined with two counties not working together and a city and county not planning together that created a metro with multiple areas with good demographics that are too far away from each other, and don't have the raw numbers alone to attract retailers.
That can be bad for retailers, but I think it has an overall upside as there's no one bad side of town that everyone tries to avoid. There are particular neighborhoods and corridors that have their issues, but nobody typically says "avoid the ______ side of Columbia." The south side of the city is more undeveloped than it is an area to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or