U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-22-2017, 07:08 AM
 
29,737 posts, read 27,153,434 times
Reputation: 18269

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Given the size of the city and all of the great features (USC, historical architecture on Main Street, the Vista and the museums, the river frontage), I think Columbia has infinitely more potential. It will take time to fully capitalize on them by finding a way to connect the disparate sites. If Columbia can do that and market the city in a cohesive way, I think people will be shocked by what a gem was hiding in plain sight.
This reminds me of what Mast General's VP said after making the decision to open a store in Columbia: Mast VP says Columbia is 'ready' to grow > GSA Business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-22-2017, 07:11 AM
 
29,737 posts, read 27,153,434 times
Reputation: 18269
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
There is actually stuff outside of Greenville's main street. That's just the area visitors focus on. You can say it's small, but it still centers the most populated county and msa. It's made to feel small to create charm. There is construction going on all around downtown. It exceeds main.
Main Street has been the spine from which development has branched out in downtown Greenville, but the activity and development still follows more of a linear path compared to downtown Columbia. It's just a function of how both cities were built and their very purpose for existing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2017, 10:32 AM
 
4,537 posts, read 6,372,489 times
Reputation: 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Main Street has been the spine from which development has branched out in downtown Greenville, but the activity and development still follows more of a linear path compared to downtown Columbia. It's just a function of how both cities were built and their very purpose for existing.
It does. Main Street is fairly long though. There are quite a few developments off of main though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2017, 12:32 PM
 
6,152 posts, read 9,362,454 times
Reputation: 1784
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
I went to Greenville for the first time in years this weekend (for the NCAA tournament, go Gamecocks!) and I was surprised by how small it was. The Reedy River area is absolutely beautiful, so I can understand why people in Greenville would think that Columbia is shabby by comparison. Given the size of the city and all of the great features (USC, historical architecture on Main Street, the Vista and the museums, the river frontage), I think Columbia has infinitely more potential. It will take time to fully capitalize on them by finding a way to connect the disparate sites. If Columbia can do that and market the city in a cohesive way, I think people will be shocked by what a gem was hiding in plain sight.
The largest "big city" ill that affects Columbia is the homeless issue. There are homeless everywhere and in every city in SC... but in Columbia they are likely more concentrated downtown because of the traditional service facilities are still located in and around downtown. Additionally, panhandling downtown is probably more lucrative than say at Columbiana Center not to mention the cost of the trip out there. Again, that plays into the psyche of many visitors especially natives that may not be used to seeing this in their home town of Greer or wherever....I also cannot forget to mention parkingphobia that SC residents have. which is fear of parking in a parking garage (ever wonder how many cities in SC have actual public parking garages? Sumter is JUST getting their first and Florence just recently..). That coupled with the fear that a homeless person is going to corner you in the stairwell if you park downtown and have to *gasp* walk a block or two to your destination...AT NIGHT *gulp*... is probably at the top of negative list for most when visiting our fair city. Again, people from larger cities/areas....its probably a non factor.. but for sandlappers... its an issue...I hear it all the time from friend visiting from other parts of SC in one form or another...

Last edited by Woodlands; 03-22-2017 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2017, 01:58 PM
 
29,737 posts, read 27,153,434 times
Reputation: 18269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The largest "big city" ill that affects Columbia is the homeless issue. There are homeless everywhere and in every city in SC... but in Columbia they are likely more concentrated downtown because of the traditional service facilities are still located in and around downtown. Additionally, panhandling downtown is probably more lucrative than say at Columbiana Center not to mention the cost of the trip out there. Again, that plays into the psyche of many visitors especially natives that may not be used to seeing this in their home town of Greer or wherever....I also cannot forget to mention parkingphobia that SC residents have. which is fear of parking in a parking garage (ever wonder how many cities in SC have actual public parking garages? Sumter is JUST getting their first and Florence just recently..). That coupled with the fear that a homeless person is going to corner you in the stairwell if you park downtown and have to *gasp* walk a block or two to your destination...AT NIGHT *gulp*... is probably at the top of negative list for most when visiting our fair city. Again, people from larger cities/areas....its probably a non factor.. but for sandlappers... its an issue...I hear it all the time from friend visiting from other parts of SC in one form or another...
I don't think folks have an issue parking in garages in Charleston, but it's Charleston so they're willing to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2017, 02:12 PM
 
Location: 352
5,122 posts, read 3,855,871 times
Reputation: 3486
Greenville is definitely a model to follow, but I think Columbia is better positioned for the future thanks to the available space alone. There's a lot of room for downtown to get dense and go up.

One street that comes to mind is Huger. There's really no street around downtown Greenville that is so rough and barren, yet so ripe. Also the Assembly/Bluff corridor to Williams Brice is ripe, and the rail line already there can be put to use. What's been done in Baltimore can definitely be done in Columbia. And not to mention Bull Street, if that ever gets going.

Columbia's in good position. It's up to the city to make use of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2017, 02:14 PM
 
29,737 posts, read 27,153,434 times
Reputation: 18269
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
It does. Main Street is fairly long though. There are quite a few developments off of main though.
This is true. The developments off Main are primarily directly off Main though, so they are still more or less part of either the Main Street district or the West End. It's a different set-up compared to downtown Columbia though, which has a larger footprint and several repurposed/revitalized nodes. I think that was the original point that was being driven home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2017, 08:34 PM
 
4,537 posts, read 6,372,489 times
Reputation: 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The largest "big city" ill that affects Columbia is the homeless issue. There are homeless everywhere and in every city in SC... but in Columbia they are likely more concentrated downtown because of the traditional service facilities are still located in and around downtown. Additionally, panhandling downtown is probably more lucrative than say at Columbiana Center not to mention the cost of the trip out there. Again, that plays into the psyche of many visitors especially natives that may not be used to seeing this in their home town of Greer or wherever....I also cannot forget to mention parkingphobia that SC residents have. which is fear of parking in a parking garage (ever wonder how many cities in SC have actual public parking garages? Sumter is JUST getting their first and Florence just recently..). That coupled with the fear that a homeless person is going to corner you in the stairwell if you park downtown and have to *gasp* walk a block or two to your destination...AT NIGHT *gulp*... is probably at the top of negative list for most when visiting our fair city. Again, people from larger cities/areas....its probably a non factor.. but for sandlappers... its an issue...I hear it all the time from friend visiting from other parts of SC in one form or another...
People in Greenville have no issues parking in the garages. They are very convenient. So I'm not sure I agree with that part. The garages here are fairly safe and clean. I don't think they'd have an issue in Cola.

Last edited by DSMRE; 03-22-2017 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2017, 08:47 PM
 
4,537 posts, read 6,372,489 times
Reputation: 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is true. The developments off Main are primarily directly off Main though, so they are still more or less part of either the Main Street district or the West End. It's a different set-up compared to downtown Columbia though, which has a larger footprint and several repurposed/revitalized nodes. I think that was the original point that was being driven home.
Not necessarily. There is development on the other side of Church St, across from County Square(which is also about to be torn down and redeveloped), and on the other side of Academy St that aren't connected to main. While it is close to Main, which is the purpose. Downtown is spreading out and redeveloping most of the stuff on the outskirts. We recently had a meeting about where things are headed. They are trying to keep everything pedestrian friendly while spreading out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2017, 10:10 PM
 
34 posts, read 42,535 times
Reputation: 13
The public parking garage I use to park my car while living on Main at Taylor and Assembly is always near full during the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:09 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top