U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 08:53 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,303,141 times

Advertisements

Does it HAVE to be downtown? If so, where else would they put it? I'm no urban planner but in my opinion you should put it near a detention center. Maybe not on the same side of the street as one, since technically these people are ex-felons simply needing assistance in being assimilated back into the real world. I think they should put it across the street from the Broad river correctional institution. Or possibly south of I-77 towards Alvin S. Glenn. Adversely, the Alvin S. Glenn idea wouldn't be a great idea since its in a not so good area... This would possibly cause recidivism. I dont know the selection process on the placement of halfway houses in other cities but I'm sure they arent placed within 2 blocks of a bourgeoning (or at least soon to be) area of the city.

To be honest, I'm torn on this subject now. In my unprofessional opininion, I dont think it would be a problem where it is planned on being placed. It's not like it's directly across the street or anything, but I think there are better places to put the halfway house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 09:31 PM

9,483 posts, read 13,218,315 times
Columbia is still "Famously Hot!"

It’s been a cool, wet summer in Columbia | Local News | The State

Old 07-31-2013, 10:41 PM

27,942 posts, read 24,985,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Does it HAVE to be downtown? If so, where else would they put it? I'm no urban planner but in my opinion you should put it near a detention center. Maybe not on the same side of the street as one, since technically these people are ex-felons simply needing assistance in being assimilated back into the real world. I think they should put it across the street from the Broad river correctional institution. Or possibly south of I-77 towards Alvin S. Glenn. Adversely, the Alvin S. Glenn idea wouldn't be a great idea since its in a not so good area... This would possibly cause recidivism. I dont know the selection process on the placement of halfway houses in other cities but I'm sure they arent placed within 2 blocks of a bourgeoning (or at least soon to be) area of the city.

To be honest, I'm torn on this subject now. In my unprofessional opininion, I dont think it would be a problem where it is planned on being placed. It's not like it's directly across the street or anything, but I think there are better places to put the halfway house.
There's already one in downtown, near the intersection of Bull and Gervais. That's a decent location since it's in a somewhat non-descript area IMO: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1218+...gl=us&t=h&z=18

Old 08-01-2013, 07:37 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,303,141 times
Interesting. Yeah, never knew it was there.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:58 AM

5,762 posts, read 8,846,213 times
The difference I believe in having these types facilities and/or homeless shelters in downtown Columbia versus DC is DC has a critical mass of downtown workers, tourists, downtown residents going about their daily lives that causes a HUGE amount of pedestrian traffic on the street. Same could be said for NYC, Chicago, and a few others. This population outnumbers the homeless by atleast 100 to 1... and therefore none of the 100 feel uncomfortable being downtown because they are surrounded by so many folks similiar to them. In Columbia that number could be 3 to ( Im exaggerating) so a group of homeless guys hanging on the corner or a few "ex" whatever out on the sidewalk smoking a cig or at a bus stop.. is more visable and may make some folks uncomfortable. Not saying its right.. just saying its the perception.

One of the key factors in all of this regardless of where it goes.. is how it is MANAGED and the relationship the operators have with the surrounding neighborhood and with the City in order to quickly address issues, if/when they occur.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:15 PM

A good bit more on Columbia's new economic development director:

City selects new economic development director | www.thecolumbiastar.com | Columbia Star

Old 08-02-2013, 06:58 AM

Waiting for the combined effects of the Bull Street development and the penny sales tax to be obvious is the hard part. It should hit us with a boom before long.

Columbia, SC: Bolton: Columbia could be in for an ‘exciting’ 20 years | Warren Bolton | The State

Old 08-03-2013, 11:39 AM

This makes sense. If you took Columbia's college students out of its population, the city would have fewer people, but its per capita income would be higher. I'll take the students.

If you don’t count college students, there’s less poverty, Census Bureau finds – The Post and Courier

Old 08-03-2013, 02:33 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,777,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
This makes sense. If you took Columbia's college students out of its population, the city would have fewer people, but its per capita income would be higher. I'll take the students.

If you don’t count college students, there’s less poverty, Census Bureau finds – The Post and Courier
My guess is that Columbia's educated population percentage would rise as well without the college students. While Carolina has about 10k graduate students, that is more than offset by the schools 20k undergraduate students. Just more statistics to confuse the issue.

As for the other hot topic, I tend to agree with some who think having a half way house should be reviewed. Opportunities should be provided for those who need help but, you have to balance that with developing a city. If you are asking developers to commit tens of millions in a project, the developer should not have to worry about a homeless shelter and a halfway house within a short distance.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:39 PM

6,536 posts, read 13,744,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
My guess is that Columbia's educated population percentage would rise as well without the college students. While Carolina has about 10k graduate students, that is more than offset by the schools 20k undergraduate students. Just more statistics to confuse the issue.

As for the other hot topic, I tend to agree with some who think having a half way house should be reviewed. Opportunities should be provided for those who need help but, you have to balance that with developing a city. If you are asking developers to commit tens of millions in a project, the developer should not have to worry about a homeless shelter and a halfway house within a short distance.
Don't forget - there are about 25,000 college students in addition to those at USC - Midlands Tech, Allen, Benedict, Columbia College, the Lutheran Seminary, South Univ, Columbia Int'l and then the small diploma mills like Webster and Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or