Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2017, 01:57 PM

746 posts, read 748,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaJAK View Post
So I'm from Chicago and have been to several cities in the US and Canada. Are there any hopes of a downtown chain restaurant like chili's, Applebee's, hooters or the like? I'm not opposed or against them just wondering why there isn't a chain with apartments above them. Might also work to draw in residents and retail?
There is a place like hooters called "Twin Peaks" in the vista.... Longhorn IHOP and Old Chicago are also large chains. Many of the other restaurants are regional type chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 06:48 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
There is a place like hooters called "Twin Peaks" in the vista.... Longhorn IHOP and Old Chicago are also large chains. Many of the other restaurants are regional type chains.
I believe Hooter's tried to do a place in the Vista but due to objections on how the waitresses dressed, it was not approved and Hooter's would not change their waitress dress. Twin Peaks did agree to a waitress uniform change as in less revealing. Twin Peaks in the Vista is primarily (over 80%) a black crowd.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:26 AM

1,154 posts, read 956,344 times
Anyone else besides me notice the explosion of street art all over the city lately.

The garage on Assembly and Taylor
The door across from Public House got a new painting.
The Taylor Street garage got a new painting.
Main Street at the corner of Main and Taylor got a new crosswalk art.
The Vista has new art all over the Traffic light boxes
Lady Street also got the new Cross walk art. So did Lincoln Street near the convention center.
There trees across from the Hilton been painted.
The Lincoln tunnel has been art on it. And a new sculpture on lady Street at the Lincoln tunnel
That wall on Millwood Ave got some beautiful new art
Even West Vista has art on the parallel parking spots.

It's amazing out of no where. I hope to see this trend continues throughout downtown.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Anyone else besides me notice the explosion of street art all over the city lately.

The door across from Public House got a new painting.
The Taylor Street garage got a new painting.
Main Street at the corner of Main and Taylor got a new crosswalk art.
The Vista has new art all over the Traffic light boxes
Lady Street also got the new Cross walk art. So did Lincoln Street near the convention center.
There trees across from the Hilton been painted.
The Lincoln tunnel has been art on it. And a new sculpture on lady Street at the Lincoln tunnel
That wall on Millwood Ave got some beautiful new art
Even West Vista has art on the parallel parking spots.

It's amazing out of no where. I hope to see this trend continues throughout downtown.
Personally, I love it. Columbia has a tremendous opportunity to attract artists and be a "cool" city. Indie Grits, ArtistaVista, Leadership Columbia, OneColumbia, Soda City, COR are really starting to synergize around actualizing those assets.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:50 PM

34 posts, read 53,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
This one was done yesterday afternoon. I live next door and watched them while waiting on an Uber.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:13 AM

1,154 posts, read 956,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
This one was done yesterday afternoon. I live next door and watched them while waiting on an Uber.
Maybe you was waiting for me hehe. Did you get picked up in a Blue Minivan?

Old 04-24-2017, 05:52 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,357,122 times
I read some time ago that Gonzales Gardens demo is delayed for some reason apparently by HUD. There are several new houses plans along the DMZ also known as Manning Ave and the most segregated street in the city. The new homes will be around $150k I believe which will be a significant increase for that area. We will see if they sell I'm sure buyers are waiting on the gardens not to grow but to go ....��

Old 04-24-2017, 06:37 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,845,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I read some time ago that Gonzales Gardens demo is delayed for some reason apparently by HUD. There are several new houses plans along the DMZ also known as Manning Ave and the most segregated street in the city. The new homes will be around $150k I believe which will be a significant increase for that area. We will see if they sell I'm sure buyers are waiting on the gardens not to grow but to go ....��
Yep it's delayed because it's the third oldest public housing development left in the US and is somehow historic so I guess they're digging up history and taking pictures before it's fully demolished. Frankly I think people throw the word historic around too much instead of just saying old.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:23 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
Some very well known people lived in Gonzales Gardens; two that I can think of, off the top pf my head, were Cardinal Bernardin and Tyrone Corbin.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Some very well known people lived in Gonzales Gardens; two that I can think of, off the top pf my head, were Cardinal Bernardin and Tyrone Corbin.
Yes... there is nothing weird about documenting this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area