U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 09:22 PM

617 posts, read 457,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I read some time ago that Gonzales Gardens demo is delayed for some reason apparently by HUD. There are several new houses plans along the DMZ also known as Manning Ave and the most segregated street in the city. The new homes will be around $150k I believe which will be a significant increase for that area. We will see if they sell I'm sure buyers are waiting on the gardens not to grow but to go ....��
Some have already sold... and almost all of the first phase have sold, at a lower price than the new ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 09:26 PM

6,180 posts, read 9,405,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Yep it's delayed because it's the third oldest public housing development left in the US and is somehow historic so I guess they're digging up history and taking pictures before it's fully demolished. Frankly I think people throw the word historic around too much instead of just saying old.
Interesting i guess Hendley Homes and Saxon Homes were torn down just in time or they too woild bw delayed....maybe keep one building near forest Drive and convert it into a community ctr and the rest of the new development around it. There is also still allen benedict court on harden. Maybe save that one? Its the least problematic which is likely why its been around this long....it will be the last one standing

Old 04-26-2017, 01:54 PM

751 posts, read 485,891 times
Closeout: Columbia Malls Fight for Relevance in the New Consumer Economy | Cover Stories | free-times.com

Old 04-26-2017, 01:55 PM

St. Andrews Area Could Get a Makeover | Growth & Development | free-times.com

Old 04-26-2017, 02:30 PM

617 posts, read 457,774 times
I could have sworn this project was taken off eb's website a long time ago... I guess it is still on?

SCANA clearing land in Cayce for a development but isn

https://www.ebdevelop.com/columbia-capital-outlets

Old 04-26-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
I could have sworn this project was taken off eb's website a long time ago... I guess it is still on?

I knew i saw them clearing land out there. I wonder if that's mall is happening

Old 04-26-2017, 02:51 PM

1,382 posts, read 1,267,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post

The outlet isn't official as far as I know but yes SCANA is clearing that land currently along with already cleared and prepped land across the interstate with infrastructure in place. The area is actually developing nicely with the newly opened hotel at Ottare. Hopefully more announcements will be on the way this year.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:57 PM

All of these older strip suburban areas are going to be tough to redevelop and re brand Many miliis don't want a sprawling house on a large lot in the suburbs and most Gen X grew up in many of these neighborhoods and don't want to move back. Boomers are moving downtown or retirement communities which doesn't leave much of anyone else left to buy and renovate a circa 1970s to 1980s Brady Bunch split level. The retail that Services these neighborhoods suffer as well. I'm not saying that the County shouldn't try and do something it's just going to be to Tough

Old 04-26-2017, 05:01 PM

Yep sad but true. All of these malls need to be repurposed as office and residential along with light manufacturing in the form of crafts makers spaces and small clean industries and some retail. If people can live work and shop in the same development you may create a new interest in some of these sprawling facilities Repurposing them is the only way to save them and the tax base they need to support that benefits from redevelopment

Old 04-26-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yep sad but true. All of these malls need to be repurposed as office and residential along with light manufacturing in the form of crafts makers spaces and small clean industries and some retail. If people can live work and shop in the same development you may create a new interest in some of these sprawling facilities Repurposing them is the only way to save them and the tax base they need to support that benefits from redevelopment
I support the idea of making them into mixed used apartments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or