U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2017, 06:53 PM

750 posts, read 482,027 times

Advertisements

Well poo

Charleston edges Columbia as state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 07:31 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,203,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
By this time it's probably by a few thousand than 76 people. Charleston has been outpacing Columbia for years. Maybe with the new annexation coordinator Columbia may keep up or outpace Charleston. Clearly Columbia has more land and people to annex and grow. Guess we'll see when 2020 hits. Greenville's growth is impressive as well.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:11 PM

Could two new roads help ease congestion at ‘Malfunction Junction’?

Could two new roads help fix 'Malfunction Junction?' | The State

Old 05-28-2017, 08:07 PM

127 posts, read 97,967 times
Quote:
Could two new roads help ease congestion at ‘Malfunction Junction’?

Could two new roads help fix 'Malfunction Junction?' | The State
The construction of a connector from I-26 in Irmo to I-77 near Blythewood is an idea that I've seen tossed around before.

It'd open up a lot of land to development, and it could take a lot of pressure off Malfunction Junction. However, the map in the article has the connector running alongside Harbison State Forest. I don't like that.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:58 PM

322 posts, read 375,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinegarbbq11 View Post
The construction of a connector from I-26 in Irmo to I-77 near Blythewood is an idea that I've seen tossed around before.

It'd open up a lot of land to development, and it could take a lot of pressure off Malfunction Junction. However, the map in the article has the connector running alongside Harbison State Forest. I don't like that.

I asked representative Nathan Ballentine about that since he's in the irmo area. He told me that scdot has been talking about that for years and nothing is on the books for the next twenty years in regards to that.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsm76 View Post
I asked representative Nathan Ballentine about that since he's in the irmo area. He told me that scdot has been talking about that for years and nothing is on the books for the next twenty years in regards to that.
South Carolina always behind on everything. Or is it just Columbia area always behind.

I swear so many good ideas gets thrown out there and some of the bad ones usually gets done first and good ones taking 20+ years to even start then they cry that they need something done now but then put it on the back burner for 20 years.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:47 AM

Here comes the complaining

‘Malfunction Junction’ fix might target 236 West Columbia-area homes

River's Edge could be torn up in fixing 'Malfunction Junction' | The State

Old 05-29-2017, 10:48 AM

616 posts, read 454,862 times
Quote:
South Carolina always behind on everything. Or is it just Columbia area always behind.

I swear so many good ideas gets thrown out there and some of the bad ones usually gets done first and good ones taking 20+ years to even start then they cry that they need something done now but then put it on the back burner for 20 years.
Yeah, it too bad that the state has so much power over all the roads in state. Local officials have very little control over roads, taxes etc. The Transportation Infrastructure Bank has been the biggest FU to the Midlands. Check out this list of projects: http://sctib.sc.gov/SiteCollectionDo...preadsheet.pdf - and its not like the Midlands area has not submitted applications. The general assembly just got together in a "survivor" style alliance to make sure they all got their pet projects approved.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:55 AM

616 posts, read 454,862 times
Quote:

Yeah, there are 49 total alternatives. No way the plan to run down those homes and drive a wedge through Quail Hallow even moves past the first phase of consideration. I think this was put up as an option to ramrod the route along the north side of the Saluda, south of Bush River Road.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:58 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,257,952 times
Quote:

They're only complaining about the bypass which in my opinion is kind of dumb. If someone chooses they can take 378 and bypass the interchange. Also adding 2 more interchanges in a small area which would bring the total to 7 is not good planning and just causes more problems for the future. Malfunction junctions issue is that they're are too many interchanges in close proximity and a clover leaf design for the main part. Adding this bypass would be a huge waste of money for the future. I hope DOT comes up with something smart like Texas DOT would on how to fix the problem and hopefully it looks amazing when it's done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or